Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • Computer
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 23, 2011 2:15:19 AM

sorry i am newbie. i am all about computer but only thing is blocking me is about raids. i know some but is it possible for 2 drive in raid 10?

More about : put ssd raid

a b G Storage
July 23, 2011 2:21:44 AM

you mean raid 0..
m
l
July 23, 2011 2:23:03 AM

people say 1+0 or 10

raid 0 for speed

raid 1 for back up

raid 1+0 = speed and backup 0.0...
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 23, 2011 7:26:20 AM

Someone should create a new RAID level allowing such a thing. Technically you could do a "RAID 10" with only two drives. Utilize 1/2 the space of each drive to do a stripe and reverse the stripe on the second 1/2 of the drives.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 23, 2011 12:00:44 PM

tokencode said:
Someone should create a new RAID level allowing such a thing. Technically you could do a "RAID 10" with only two drives. Utilize 1/2 the space of each drive to do a stripe and reverse the stripe on the second 1/2 of the drives.

No, they shouldn't! That's NOT a good idea.

The point of RAID 0 is to speed things up by writing and reading data twice as fast (writing half of the data to one drive and the other half to the other drive, with both writes happening simultaneously). Now you want to slow it down again by forcing it to write everything twice. With RAID 1+0 on four drives you can write both copies at once, but you can't do that if you only have two hard drives. So the RAID 0 part is completely useless in this - you get no advantage over using simple RAID 1, so you should just use RAID 1.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 23, 2011 12:01:58 PM

seongwonchoi said:
sorry i am newbie. i am all about computer but only thing is blocking me is about raids. i know some but is it possible for 2 drive in raid 10?

For the moment you should avoid putting two SSD drives in RAID because it blocks the use of TRIM.
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
July 23, 2011 12:02:56 PM

The current state-of-the-art with SSDs is such that you should not RAID them. SSDs require the TRIM command for Win7 to tell them when they can mark memory cells as "free," available for re-use. The performance of most drives will decay over time if they are not receiving the TRIM command properly.

For an SSD to get the TRIM command, you must be running Win7, the drive controller must be in AHCI mode, and the drive must not be in a RAID.

Recently, some people have been disagreeing with this, saying that the Garbage Collection feature of the SSDs is now good enough to run them long-term without TRIM. I am not yet convinced, but I am far from infallible.

Edit: Whoops, CompulsiveBuilder got the same answer in ahead of me, plus what I was about to write to Tokencode. Good morning, CompulsiveBuilder.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 23, 2011 4:47:44 PM

Raid 1 + 0 requires 3 Hard drives (not 4), raid 10 DOES requires 4 Hard drives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels
or
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutoria...

On SSDs. It does appear that the improvements in CG will allow the newer SSds to be used in Raid0. Long term effects unk. Myself since Raid0 only improves Seq read/writes (the least important) see NO real advantage and as stated you lose trim with is a PLUS.
Minor correction. Trim will still be passed if the Intel controller is set to Raid, as Long as the SSD is not a member of a raid volume (Since RST ver 9.6). This allowed a 3 drive set up: SSD for boot drive (and still have trim passed), and 2 HDD set up in a raid1, or 0 configuration.

- Answer NO for raid 10, yes for raid 0 (performance) or Raid1 (Backup safety). Up until SSds, I have used raid0 exclussively on all my systems. Found little use for raid 1 as my all my back-up is external. Since SSDs, I find little advantage to raid0.
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
July 23, 2011 5:01:53 PM

Chief - I got SSD from the thread title.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 23, 2011 6:12:27 PM

Thanks, Missed that or it went rigth over my head(LOL). took that comment out.
m
l
August 25, 2012 2:29:23 AM

Actually you can do RAID 1+0 with two drives (including SSDs). It it won't be a traditional implementation of RAID but you will see performance gains over RAID 1. Examples:

- Linux software RAID
- FreeBSD software RAID
- CCISS controller (HP RAID adapter, RAID 1+0 is the default option for two drives)
m
l
!