AMD processor choice and mobo

chillbox

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hi guys,

I am planning on upgrading my PC soon and buying a new processor/mobo combo.

However, I am unsure of what processor to get in the $80-$100 range and stuck between these three:

AMD phenom II x2 550 BE
AMD x3 435
AMD x4 620

Additionally, I am also not quite sure which motherboard to get, but from what I've read. the following two are good options?

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P
ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO

I will mainly be using this PC for a balance between gaming and multimedia. Any inputs for what to get or the differences between them is appreciated!

Cheers!

xaira

Distinguished
gaming is a whole diff arena from multimedia, for instance, a multimedia pc is fine with a 785g board paired with a x2 240 cpu and 2gb ram, this will be good for playing blu ray, photo tasks, ripping cds, family stuff, this pc will also be able to accomodate light gaming. A gaming rig on the other hand necesitates a discrete graphics card, so the board need not have an integrated one, also a tripple core processor or a high clocked dual core, 3-4gb memory, something along those lines. tell me wat you plan to use the pc for, actual names of programs if possible, and itll be easier to recommend.

chillbox

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Hello again,

Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I shoulda been more detailed. In regards to the video card, I don't think I will be using onboard video as I plan on getting a HD 4650/70 to go along with all this.

As for the programs, for gaming, I mainly want to use it for games such as MW2, Dragon age etc - basically newer FPS, RPGs out there. On the other hand, I would run applications such as ProEngineer (similar to autoCAD) and photoshop for uni and possibly a little bit of rendering software (3ds max).

Also, could anyone enlighten me on what the difference between the 3 processors are (besides # of cores) ?

Cheers!

xaira

Distinguished
the 550 has 3.1ghz clock speed and an unlocked multiplier for overclockability and 6mb of l3 cache, the both athlons have locked multipliers and no l3 cache, the 435 is 2.9ghz and the 620 is 2.6ghz

the 435 is fine for you,

definitely 4 gigs of ram

4670 fow shizzle, or 5670 hopefully in jan

and i would choose the gigabyte board, the savings are good the reviews are better, and ull b able to put alot of addon cards usb3.0 etc

chillbox

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Ok, think I will go the GIGABYTE board, and might have to rethink the GPU part.

But out of the 3, the 550BE is the best? The price difference between the three is about $25. Or should i stick with the x4 620?

xaira

Distinguished
if im not mistaken you said cad and 3ds max, if you aint got more than 2 cores those programs will eat you, i think the combination of 2.9 ghz and tri core is best 4 ur needs