Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Boot Problem

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2009 2:58:34 AM

I just built my first system and unfortunately it is not turning on. When I hit the power button the power supply beeps. I made sure all the wires were connected properly and i think they are. But now I think I know what the problem is. I completely forgot to install the standoffs in the case before i installed the motherboard (I wasnt even aware that they were needed my previous motherboard had these bumpy things which didnt require them). My question is would that prevent the pc from starting up? And Did i possibly damage the motherboard?

These are my parts.

XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

LITE-ON 24X CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS324-08 - Retail

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

More about : boot problem

a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2009 3:04:42 AM

Did you attempt to power the board up without standoffs? If so you may have shorted the board out. Have you been through the boot check list at the top of the forum as well?
m
l
September 22, 2009 3:10:32 AM

hunter315 said:
Did you attempt to power the board up without standoffs? If so you may have shorted the board out. Have you been through the boot check list at the top of the forum as well?

Yes i did. Yea I went through the list. That's how i noticed the whole thing about the standoffs in the first place.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2009 3:12:51 AM

Oh, thats not good. Pull everything out of the case and bread board it on a non conducting surface like cardboard or something. Also check for any black marks on the back or front side of the board that could indicate something shorted or arc'd.

When you attempted to power it up without standoffs what did it do? Did you hear or see anything?
m
l
September 22, 2009 3:15:37 AM

hunter315 said:
Oh, thats not good. Pull everything out of the case and bread board it on a non conducting surface like cardboard or something. Also check for any black marks on the back or front side of the board that could indicate something shorted or arc'd.

When you attempted to power it up without standoffs what did it do? Did you hear or see anything?

No nothing happened except that the power supply beeped. But nothing happened at all.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2009 3:29:37 AM

Good news, its over current protection kicked in immediately and it didnt slag the system. Disassemble it and reassemble it with standoffs and it should work.
m
l
September 22, 2009 3:33:36 AM

hunter315 said:
Good news, its over current protection kicked in immediately and it didnt slag the system. Disassemble it and reassemble it with standoffs and it should work.

I really appreciate it. I will try that out tomorrow and let you know what happens. Thanks a whole lot man. I was about to not be able to sleep tonight thinking that i damaged the whole system.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2009 3:38:49 AM

The fact that the PSU beeped was actually good, be glad you bought a high quality PSU with good over current protection or you may have gotten to see the inside of a capacitor. Reassemble it in the morning, make sure you get all the standoffs in this time and dont have any extras, then give it a shot. If it still doesnt work bump this and we will see if we can figure out the issues then.
!