My laptop won't recognize the strongest wireless connection

rathma155

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I'm in a shared apartment with a bunch of people and it all works for them so it is something on my end. I have tried it with my ipod touch and it connects fine. My laptop can't see it but it CAN see connections that range from down the end of the street.

Why won't it recognize the strongest connection that is closest to it? I'm running Windows 7.

G

You need to talk to whoever set up the router to check the router settings for wireless mode -- the new laptop may be a newer standard than the router is set to.

Presumably wireless SSID is being broadcast and they haven't enabled Access List include/exclude by MAC ID.

G

You need to talk to whoever set up the router to check the router settings for wireless mode -- the new laptop may be a newer standard than the router is set to.

Presumably wireless SSID is being broadcast and they haven't enabled Access List include/exclude by MAC ID.

rathma155

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Well the person who owns the wireless router rarely comes into the building. But 7 other people on my floor all have laptops and they all connect fine, they have never had problems finding it. So it sounds like it is a problem on my end and not the routers.

Also; I am plugged into the router via ethernet cable. Is there any way I can find the wireless portion of it this way

Alsoooo; I ran a diagnostic from Intel wifi and got this
intelq.jpg

G

To access the router's settings via an ethernet cable you still need to know the Username: (usually admin) and Password: (default is often admin or password). However, the default password may have been changed by the guy who set up the system -- then the only way in is to reset the router and that will almost certainly be detected by the other users (possibly disconnecting you all).

It's a bit complicated to explain how you do access the router settings so I suggest you download the manual for the router.

If you can get in, go to wireless settings and check that SSID is not to be concealed and that wireless mode is either mixed mode or correct for your wireless adapter.
Check that Access List is not enabled or add your wireless adapter's MAC ID to the list.

Make a note of the wireless security password and which protocol is in use (WEP/WPA etc).

Save settings before you exit.