spiderma

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I have a Asus P5N32e-sli motherboard, it worked fine with no problems and i shut it down for the night.
When i went to restart it the following day i pressed the power button and it goes to start then powers off.
Ive changed the power supply its not that, ive disconnected memory,graphics card and anything that doesnt need to be connected and it still wont boot?
I think the motherboard has had it, but if anyone has any other ideas im willing to hear them.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
another thing to consider/check is the heatsink/fan for the CPU, how long has it been since the thermal paste has been re-applied and also check to see if it is securely seated properly, check those, if not, try this test:

HOW TO TEST FOR A SHORT

To eliminate the possibility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. (cardboard box will work) This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build, it lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

Pull everything out of the case and reassemble the PSU, Motherboard and CPU/HSF.
You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems.
Silence here indicates, in probable order:
a bad PSU
a bad CPU
a bad motherboard
a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

First step if you get silence is to swap out the PSU for the same setup as above and test again.
- At this point you have ruled out the PSU as the culprit.
If you still get silence, then go back to the original PSU and swap out the CPU.
- At this point you have ruled out the CPU as the culprit
If you still get silence, go back to the original CPU and swap out the motherboard.
- At this point you will have ruled out the motherboard as the culprit

Once you get the long beeps during any of the above situations, add a stick of RAM and Boot.
The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps.
Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU.
Long single beeps indicate that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor.

If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to get this far.

If you successfully POST, turn off and start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time, turning off after each successful component is installed.