Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
December 17, 2011 9:59:22 PM

So I got this old workstation for free from my dad's company,

SUN Ultra 40
AMD Opteron 2222 Dual Core (3.2ghz)
16GB DDR2
250GB 7200rpm HDD
ATI Radeon 5870 1GB (took out the Quadro FX 4600)

I'm pretty sure the processor is bottlenecking the system. I want to use it primarily for gaming (BF3, Skyrim, etc), but I think because the processor is so old, I can't run BF3 at true max; I can run it on all Ultra, HBAO bloom, but AA off.

Would overclocking help? I get like 2000 3dmark06 less than what I'm supposed to get with the 5870, apparently. I also get this system fan error on startup, even though I'm pretty sure the fans are running at 100% the entire time since it sounds like a jet engine. (Before I took out the fan tower and put it back in, the system was very very quiet, but it still gave me the same error back then)

In March, when they replace the next line of workstations, I'll get an HP xw9400 instead; with a quad-core processor and 32 or 64 GB of RAM.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2011 2:07:55 PM

There isn't much you can do with a socket F build when it comes to overclocking. You can try to play around with set fsb or k10-stat but you are out of luck. As for workstations go I wouldn't have gotten a single socket build when there are dual socket build floating around where you could have used two opteron 2222 instead of just one. As for the HP workstation you need something better than that and can buy better if you are willing to build your self. A single mind you a i7 could cream almost any if not all Socket F builds. Look for the newer quad core versions if you can find them like this.

http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/reques...
m
l
Anonymous
December 19, 2011 3:22:07 AM

nforce4max said:
There isn't much you can do with a socket F build when it comes to overclocking. You can try to play around with set fsb or k10-stat but you are out of luck. As for workstations go I wouldn't have gotten a single socket build when there are dual socket build floating around where you could have used two opteron 2222 instead of just one. As for the HP workstation you need something better than that and can buy better if you are willing to build your self. A single mind you a i7 could cream almost any if not all Socket F builds. Look for the newer quad core versions if you can find them like this.

http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/reques...

The xw9400 that is being phased out I believe has a 2300 series Opteron Quad core, on PCMark, it scores slightly higher than my laptop i7-2630QM. If the performance is similar (hard to say since one is for everyday/gaming use and one is for workstations), I think I will be fine with that.

But is it my processor bottlenecking the GFX card? It seems like a fast dual core, at least, and should be decent? Or is it truly too old?
m
l
Related resources
!