$600-$1000 Gaming/Video Editing/Audio Production Machine

evan_s

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
First time posting, I enjoy reading in this forum and finally want to ask for some individual assistance. Hope I read the threads properly and I am doing this right. Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to read, any help is greatly appreciated.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Perhaps in 2 months, possibly before, maybe after.

BUDGET RANGE: $600 - $1000 - need to stick to cheaper where possible.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video Editing, Gaming, Audio Production, Running multiple programs at once, Video converting, Photoshop

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Interested in seeing Keyboard, Mouse and Display, but these things I can get another time, so if needed, cut these things out, though I am still interested in seeing suggestions separate. Same with OS. These things I can get locally if needed, my main concern is in the box.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: TigerDirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (I'm in the Caribbean.)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel/NVidia

OVERCLOCKING: Not likely, maybe when I learn about it, but I guess no.

Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I've grown used to 1680x1050, so at least that, but perhaps higher would not hurt?

NOTES: I'd really like to be able to run 2 displays at some point. Firewire and plenty USB ports as I will likely buy an audio interface for XLR mics and stuff like that. Looking for a sexy case too, was looking at the gaming stuff at Antec, but not sure if TigerDirect will have this stuff. If there is anything I am not taking into consideration with wanting a machine for gaming/video editing/audio, then please let me know. Would like to have fire wire and able to put in multiple hard drives as well as a DVD burner.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: So, here's the thing, I wanted to do this Core i7 machine since I would be doing video editing, but in talking with someone doing this for a living, I realized I don't need that, or even quad. I'm a student looking to have a machine that will be suitable enough to do a decent job video editing, audio production and gaming for freelance on the side. I currently have 2 laptops, an XPS m1530 and Inspiron 1520. They have the 8600GT in them and I play a lot of Team Fortress 2. I'd like to be able to play TF2 at maybe the highest settings since it is an older game and other games, like CoD, etc. (maybe a GTX?).

I won't mind if I can't play every game at highest settings. I'd like for Fallout 3 and stuff like that to look pretty nice and be smooth. I hate dealing with laptops overheating (I have the Inspiron on top of a box with the hot side hanging off to game.) and I want a machine that will be responsive and snappy.

I know 600-1000 is a big gap, so there may have to be balancing in terms of maybe toning down the graphics in exchange for CPU, or RAM, or whatever. I really wanna have some blueprints I can keep for now and update slightly if necessary closer to the time of purchase.

I'm in the Caribbean, so I have to consider shipping as well :-/

I mentioned above keyboard and mouse and even monitor, I could end up going with generic local stuff and then go for stuff suggested if it means reducing price. If anything I could go with just 2GB RAM and buy more afterwards.

For any media people, should I go 64 bit? I'm thinking Vista/Win7 though media people are cringing when I mention Vista, which I like, and windows 7, which I love.

Man, I talk so much. Thanks for any help offered, I greatly appreciate it!

Edit: Forgot, will need wired and wireless internet!

^ I feel you would need a Quad for your usage...
Did you check out the Core i5 and Core i7 LGA 1156 CPUs ?
They would fit well for your needs...

And as you will be buying in 2 months time, I would suggest you wait before you decidee on thegraphic card...ATI will be launching their new DirectX 11 series cards by this month end and Nvidia by end of year...

evan_s

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
No, I haven't checked on the CPUs. I'm not a hardware guy really, more software, so I am trying to do whatever reading I can and learn from this, not only get advice. I was looking i7 and think I was liking the 920, but thought it best to ask people who know what they are talking about. I have someone who will help me build (ie: I will watch and hand a screwdriver where necessary) and he knows what he is talking about.

While he was saying obviously core i7 will be what I should go for, hearing from someone doing this for a living say the Core2 Duo works fine makes me think I don't need the latest and greates. I mean, people are doing hardcore gaming on Core 2s right?

With all that said, I have no problem with i7 or i5, or even Quad, once it's in the budget. Truth be told, I don't know when I will buy, could be in 2 weeks, a month, maybe 2. Depends on cash, and if I need to wait, but I think now is a good time to have something down in terms of me knowing what I can go for and what price I can expect to pay. Even with new stuff coming out I'd like to have an idea of what there is now, and I'll take note if it is new stuff is coming out and can wait as well, as it may mean getting the same stuff for cheaper or something better at the same price.

Thanks for the reply, gonna look up those CPUs you just mentioned - any links would be helpful too, thanks!