Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next few weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $600 total budget after shipping

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, web surfing, MS word

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, mouse, keyboard

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com for sure

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Good stuff (e.g. cooler master, g.skill, corairs, all that good stuff, Amd or Intel (going with AMD for this)

OVERCLOCKING: Prolly not, maybe up to 3.0ghz but hes gonna be on stock cooling in a really hot room

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Naw

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024 maybe

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I already have this build put together and was just seeing if you guys had any input in it, I think its pretty good. I'm going to see if he can get a hold of a cheap copy of Windows 7 from his college but havent talked to him about it. Hes not really a hardcore gaming but he wants to play Diablo III and Starcraft II when they show up, so I think a 4850 might suffice. Any input is welcome.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=10601172

should have gotten vista with the free upgrade to windows 7
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

as windows xp is going to be un supported shortly

and i would have gone for this HDD (yes its a litle more pricey but worth the speed)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
500GB/platter gives very fast speeds

the 4850 should be fine for gaming (its actually overkill @ 1280x1024)

windows 7 cheap for students
http://www.win741.com/
$29 for Windows 7 Professional

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I read that Win7 was going to be cheap for college students but I dont know if he'll ask them. The reason I was going to get him XP is because hes not familiar with Vista and I figured it would just be easier for him.

computersss

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

+1 on samsung 500GB F3 and windows 7 would be alot better than xp and vista :D also i would have gotten CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V as it is better than OCZ and modular and also it is only 10$ more