Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k DONT use auto vcore

Last response: in Overclocking
December 17, 2011 11:46:09 PM

The title says it all.

After setting vcore MANUALLY to stock voltage (1.24v in bios) temps are a good 7 degrees cooler than when vcore was set to auto (1.32v in bios). 49C compared to 56C

To anyone ocing this chip set vcore to MANUAL to further your oc AND the life of your cpu.

Going to see how high i can oc at stock voltage.

Test settings:
cpu ratio: 40x = 4.0Ghz
cpu vcore: 1.24v
turbo boost: OFF
PLL overvoltage: enabled
c1e/c3/c6/eist/cpu thermal monitor: disabled
m/b: gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud3

More about : 2500k dont auto vcore

December 18, 2011 4:01:21 AM

Where does it say that 1.24v is stock? I get 1.32v at 4.4Ghz when running with whatever default voltage it starts out at, and just changing the cpu ratio; I have never really had my 2500K running at "stock" 3.3GHz, it is either idling at ~1.5GHz, or when called upon, it shoots up to 4.4 - so I don't know what the stock voltage is supposed to be. Plus, you have the PLL overvoltage enabled, doesn't this let the voltage increase to allow higher overclocks?
m
l
December 18, 2011 11:18:42 AM

1.24v is what my m/b sets vcore to on auto at stock frequency and turbo boost etc. turned off.

cpu ratio here is the maximum i reached at 1.24v - 41x = 4.1Ghz.

as you can see it changes from 1.20v(idle) to 1.24v(load).

Compared to my previous oc of 4.0-4.2Ghz, voltages at auto (1.32v-1.325v), the temps are MUCH cooler, peaking at 49C compared to 56C on auto.

The only take away message here is that its worth the extra effort to set voltage manually.

unless i'm mistaken, cooler is better!
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2011 2:46:20 PM

I have the same mobo and cpu and i leave vcore on auto (4.5ghz 1.36vcore). If i use less than 1.36vcore its not stable, so auto vcore for me is perfect, also with auto vcore the voltage drops when the cpu is idle which can only be better for the cpu in the long run.
m
l
December 18, 2011 10:34:50 PM

jbseven said:
1.24v is what my m/b sets vcore to on auto at stock frequency and turbo boost etc. turned off.

cpu ratio here is the maximum i reached at 1.24v - 41x = 4.1Ghz.

as you can see it changes from 1.20v(idle) to 1.24v(load).

Compared to my previous oc of 4.0-4.2Ghz, voltages at auto (1.32v-1.325v), the temps are MUCH cooler, peaking at 49C compared to 56C on auto.

The only take away message here is that its worth the extra effort to set voltage manually.

unless i'm mistaken, cooler is better!

Yes, that sounds pretty good. How do you change the voltage manually, do you just apply an offset?
m
l
December 18, 2011 11:09:42 PM

MadCatz900 said:
I have the same mobo and cpu and i leave vcore on auto (4.5ghz 1.36vcore). If i use less than 1.36vcore its not stable, so auto vcore for me is perfect, also with auto vcore the voltage drops when the cpu is idle which can only be better for the cpu in the long run.

As stated before and shown on the screenshot, the voltage still drops on idle with my settings and vcore set to manual. Its worth setting your voltage to 1.36v manual and backing off the voltage one step at a time to find the lowest stable voltage at 4.5Ghz. less voltage = cooler oc.

By setting the voltage manually i simply mean changing it from auto to 1.24v (or whatever) in bios.
m
l
December 19, 2011 12:24:14 AM

Okay, I set the voltage manually (not offset) to 1.350v, and the CPU ratio to 45. Running Prime95 right now, frequency is steady at 4.5GHz, CPU-Z says core voltage is either 1.336 or 1.344v. Max temp so far is 70C, everything is passing. Dare I set the core voltage lower (1.33?), to try and lower those temps a little more, or should I quit while I'm ahead?
m
l
December 19, 2011 12:59:34 AM

ebalong said:
Okay, I set the voltage manually (not offset) to 1.350v, and the CPU ratio to 45. Running Prime95 right now, frequency is steady at 4.5GHz, CPU-Z says core voltage is either 1.336 or 1.344v. Max temp so far is 70C, everything is passing. Dare I set the core voltage lower (1.33?), to try and lower those temps a little more, or should I quit while I'm ahead?

Lower voltage, test for stability- the worst that can happen is bsod in which case you reconfigure voltage and revert to stable settings. if you don't bsod, lower voltage again and repeat until you reach lowest stable voltage.

70C sounds a bit high to me. What cooler are you using?
m
l
December 19, 2011 1:31:49 AM

I am using a CM Hyper 212+; this is my very first home build. I have lowered the core voltage to 1.30v. Running Prime95 again, passing so far. CPU-Z says my core voltage is 1.288v and 1.296v; why does it fluctuate? I am running at 4.5GHz again. So far, the highest temp is 62 on this run.
m
l
December 19, 2011 2:26:30 AM

jbseven said:
As stated before and shown on the screenshot, the voltage still drops on idle with my settings and vcore set to manual. Its worth setting your voltage to 1.36v manual and backing off the voltage one step at a time to find the lowest stable voltage at 4.5Ghz. less voltage = cooler oc.

By setting the voltage manually i simply mean changing it from auto to 1.24v (or whatever) in bios.

Makes no difference to me as ive tried lower than 1.36 and its not stable, auto sets it at what i need so i just leave it on that. When i tried setting vcore manually i dont recall my vcore dropping when cpu was idle, maybe i didnt leave it long enough but auto does everything fine for me. Still im not saying everyone should set it to auto though because manually setting vcore is the way to go.
m
l
December 19, 2011 2:39:07 AM

ebalong said:
I am using a CM Hyper 212+; this is my very first home build. I have lowered the core voltage to 1.30v. Running Prime95 again, passing so far. CPU-Z says my core voltage is 1.288v and 1.296v; why does it fluctuate? I am running at 4.5GHz again. So far, the highest temp is 62 on this run.

it fluctuates from idle to load. 62C is a huge improvement from 70C, wouldnt you say?

and that was my point madcatz. setting to manual and finding lowest stable voltage reduces temps, cpu lives longer, and leaves room for higher oc.

if it doesn't work for you or you're not comfortable with anything but auto then don't bother.
m
l
December 19, 2011 3:17:52 AM

I must admit, I was skeptical about manually tweaking the voltage; I figured that the auto settings would optimize all parameters (only apply the lowest voltage necessary), but, I was mistaken. I've got it down to 1.265v @4.5GHz at the moment; I tried 1.250 at 4.5GHz, but Windows restarted shortly into Prime95. Max temps are 61 after ~1hour.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 9:53:50 AM

Allways use Manual settings when you o/C.
Your Vcore changes on load and idle on CPU-Z because of the LLC from Intel specs.

You will see that even on load CPU-Z can tells you that your CPU uses less Vcore on load.

Also keep in mind that o/C a SandyBridge CPU is useless for games ! It will saves you time and money at the end of the year !
m
l
!