Problems with Gigabyte Ma770-Ud3 Rev 2.0

jmc4120

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hey guys newcomer here, I am so pissed I have built a new pc and I am using a Gigabyte MA770-UD3 Rev 2.0, but when I installed the memory modules it would not post, so I checked each module one by one in the first slot and it posted every time. So this is the 2nd motherboard now and I am at a loss and my brain is fried to the max, so on Dimm 1 and 3 the pc will post, but on 2 and 4 it will not get long beeps. Know I hope this is not a sign because this is the second MB and I am sick of it. My memory is Samsung M378T5663EH3 which I have 3 sticks of 2gb and 1 stick of 1gb, so I don't know if that's the problem or not.

bilbat

Splendid
'Mixing & matching' different DIMMs is never a good (or workable) idea; neither is running an odd number of sticks - you want either two or four (identical)...

Place two of the 2G DIMMs in slots DDRII_1 and DDRII_2 (the two yellow slots, nearest the CPU...); enter the BIOS and execute the "Load Optimized Defaults" from the main BIOS screen; do an <F10> 'save & exit'; reboot, and you should be in good shape...

Note: if you are running a 32 bit OS, you will not 'see' the whole four gig inside the OS - this is normal - some memory is 'eaten up' by memory-mapped I/O devices, noteably, your video card - if you get, say, 3.2 G, you're good to go...

jmc4120

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Ok I did put 2 of the 2gb sticks in Dimm 1 and Dimm 2 but would not post just got long beeps, moved the Modules to Dimm 1 and Dimm 3 computer would post but immediately routed me to start-up repair would not load O.S. I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

bilbat

Splendid
A - did you do the "LoadOpt"? It's not an 'optional' step - it must be done, every time there's a significant hardware change...

B - if you did, with the DIMMs where I suggested, and it still didn't work, try using only one in the slot nearest the CPU - again, do the LoadOpt, <F10> to save & exit, recoot, power down; add the second DIMM, power back up. Expect to reinstall the OS once it's working correctly...

bilbat

Splendid
Well, long beeps are usually graphics card problems, but I doubt that here... I think the thing to do at this point is download MemTest86+ from here:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.iso.zip
Unzip it to an .iso file, 'burn' the ISO to a CD, and you will have a comprehensive, bootable memory tester. Install one stick at a time, do the LoadOpt, save, exit, sequence; boot to memtest, and let it run at least a full pass (likely an hour or two) for each stick - hopefully, it will find the underlying problem...