Noob here. How will this computer run for gaming?

ColdAsTommy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
So basically, I do not know computers very well and I wanted to ask you guys if this will be able to run the games I play with sufficient FPS (looking to get at least 40FPS on new games 2011+ on relatively high settings).

Its an HP dv7tqe Laptop that is retailed at about $1200 but with instant savings and a coupon I got it down to $900
The specs are:

Processor: 2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
Graphics Card: 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
Memory: 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard Drive: 750GB 5400RPM (Upgrade to 750GB 7200RPMG available for 20$ more, is it worth it?)

I play League of Legends, Minecraft, Mount & Blade Warband and Team Fortress 2 as of now.
I PLAN to play Elder Scrolls V, Dota 2 along with any game that looks fun upcoming later this year.

Also... Do gaming mouses make a difference compared to a normal mouse? I am interested in the Razer DeathAdder because I like how it has 2 side buttons yet it remains simple... nor do I have the need for a bunch of buttons because I quit the only game I would ever need that for (WoW).

Once again, I bet this kind of thread is pretty common but I do not know how to read specs because there is so much variation so I hope you guys could help me out! Thanks so much in advance.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
That would be a modest gaming laptop. Depending on the resolution of the screen attached to that laptop would determine a what kind of settings you could run. You won't be pushing high settings with a 1920x1080 panel. A lower res would probably allow you to push to some high settings, depending on how demanding the game is.

And a good mouse does make a difference. I have a Razer DeathAdder, not because it's a "gaming" mouse, but because I liked the feel of it (weight, size, button placement, etc) more than any mouse at the store.

BTW, a gaming PC will give you more bang for the buck over a laptop.

ColdAsTommy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

The screen resolution is 1600x900. I know that a gaming PC will give me a better deal/specs but the thing is... for me the funnest part of gaming is with friends so portability is definitely a biggie for me because my current desktop is ANNOYING to bring over to friends houses.

ColdAsTommy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Um I should probably clearify, my budget is $1000 and I am not talking about hardcore max settings, sorry if that was implied, I am just saying the game cant look BAD (low on all settings)

TRENDING THREADS