Sign in with
Your question

CPU "Smoothness"

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:32:20 AM

So the other day I was having an argument with an individual whom we shall call "MaronBatrix" regarding CPU performance under various applications.

Over the course of this argument I was met with a claim, which at first, confused me. The claim was that a system running an AMD Phenom II was "smoother" than a system running an Intel Core i7. I asked for a more elaborate explanation but was met with an IP ban (again).

Not one to let go that easily I decided to investigate and it appears that "MaronBatrix" was correct. There is a benchmark available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jzk0uyllytz which will show you the superiority of the AMD CPUs.

Give it a whirl :p 

EDIT:

I've figured it out. AMD have officially integrated Awesomeness into their cores. The integrated awesomeness engine is responsible for the "smoothness" feature. See bellow die shot for proof:

More about : cpu smoothness

a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:40:07 AM

Why do I not want to run a benchmark under 1MB? :lol: 
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:41:58 AM

randomizer said:
Why do I not want to run a benchmark under 1MB? :lol: 

It's a real benchmark man.. trust me. You know I'd never trick you.

It's changed my perspective man. AMD4LIFE!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:45:34 AM

I entered VIA and it was too smooth to be evaluated properly.
a c 215 à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:48:54 AM

Whoops, lets just pretend that never happened, its all good now.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:51:10 AM

hunter315 said:
I can make a benchmark show anything i want it to, and since im not sure what is meant my "smoothness" it makes it even easier to make it show anything you want it to. I dont care if numbers tell me that an AMD processor is "smoother" than an i7, or vice versa, it really comes down to, can an individual first define "smoothness", then can they tell you which system is "smoother", i dont think anyone could on either count so that benchmark is meaningless to me.

It's hard to convey sarcasm online ;) .

AMD4Life!
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:51:15 AM

Um, are you arguing with this benchmark? This is objective data, not some subjective "feeling."
a c 215 à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:53:11 AM

hahaha, nevermind its all good now! That explains why the benchmark was so damn small.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:54:17 AM

randomizer said:
Um, are you arguing with this benchmark? This is objective data, not some subjective "feeling."

Yeah..

The other day I was using my step sister's brother's mother's grand father's sister in law twice removed's PC with an Intel Core i7 and something just didn't feel right. It just didn't feel quite as "smooth". "Smoothmark" has shown me why. So with this data (both Subjective and Objective) there is only one obvious conclusion.

AMD4Life!
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:56:03 AM

i knew it.

my system is also much softer than many intel systems i have used.
im pretty sure its more epic too.

is there a benchmark for epicness?
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:58:14 AM

welshmousepk said:
i knew it.

my system is also much softer than many intel systems i have used.
im pretty sure its more epic too.

is there a benchmark for epicness?

I will have to investigate that as well :p 
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 3:06:30 AM

Well you will need to get rid of that POS rig you have.

Clearly it isn't up to the task.

While your at it delete your account here so we don't have to put up with your Intel fanboi rubbish.

The thread was about as useful as a one button mouse.

Have a nice day on WoW.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 3:09:39 AM

core i7 and a dual GPU radeon.

he's right you know. clearly rubbish.

a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 3:09:49 AM

Reynod said:

While your at it delete your account here so we don't have to put up with your Intel fanboi rubbish.

Have a nice day on WoW.

This isn't about Intel fanboyism. This is about AMD being smoother. It's smoother why won't you believe me? Don't worry man I'm changing my signature. All AMD from now on because it's "smoother".
December 11, 2009 4:59:20 AM

When I put my i7 into the motherboard, the IHS felt smooth, but I guess not smooth enough. How much smoother is an AMD CPU? Will this benchmark test my IHS for the smoothness rating? I don't want a cut from it. :( 
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 5:07:10 AM

This benchmark will show you just how evil Intel Corp is. And all the review sites who say otherwise are paid off. AMD always come up with new technology while Intel only copy.

The benchmark does not lie. :p 

Intel bankrupt Q2 2010
a c 127 à CPUs
December 11, 2009 5:12:54 AM

Reynod said:

Have a nice day on WoW.

Man you must forget the amount of people who claim AMD is "smoother". Or you haven't been here long enough. Either way its funny you tend to be negative towards Elmo when the only posts he has made were about facts with links to proof.........

Elmo, next time don't present any facts or proof. To be really unbiased you cannot have any proof to prove Intel is better or this or that.

Can't wait to see if KeithLM finds this thread. He will argue to the bone that AMD is "smoother". It used to be because of the IMC but since Core i7 has a IMC I don't know what it is.

AMD is just "smooth".

lol.
December 11, 2009 5:22:24 AM

there is only 1 way to achieve CPU smoothness.

L - A - P - P - I - N - G.

if its not about the word above, its a myth.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 5:48:35 AM

ElMoIsEviL said:
This benchmark will show you just how evil Intel Corp is. And all the review sites who say otherwise are paid off. AMD always come up with new technology while Intel only copy.

The benchmark does not lie. :p 

Intel bankrupt Q2 2010

That's pretty hefty claim! Q2 2010 would be September 2010. That 9.5 months away. Dont think that a billion dollar empire would go down that easy especially if when its new line of processors are doing so well albeit at a steeper price!

About the smoothness, i think it depends on how balanced your PC is. I mean every part should be n'sync with each other. Cant have a HD4970 with E7200 at stock! Can you? Neither can you have a HD4670 on a 24 inch monitor with a Core i7! Or slow RAM's or a weak PSU for that matter. For a smooth ride, everything should be balanced an working at optimum. You don't to overclock everything you can lay your hands on! Intel or AMD its doesn't matter that much! Other components do play a key role.
December 11, 2009 7:35:45 AM

jimmysmitty said:
He will argue to the bone that AMD is "smoother". It used to be because of the IMC but since Core i7 has a IMC I don't know what it is.

AMD is just "smooth".

lol.

It's not the IMC, it's the IHS, sorry. My i7 is very rough
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 8:41:15 AM

Slow news day at intel fanboi HQ I see.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 10:54:58 AM

I pretty much knew what this is about once I saw MaronBatrix, or BaronMatrix for the oldies.
a c 172 à CPUs
December 11, 2009 11:06:19 AM

Yeah, I thought it was April 1st until I remembered that Christmas will be here soon.

hell_storm2004 said:
Dont think that a billion dollar empire would go down that easy ...

Tell that to GM stockholders.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 11:47:48 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Man you must forget the amount of people who claim AMD is "smoother". Or you haven't been here long enough. Either way its funny you tend to be negative towards Elmo when the only posts he has made were about facts with links to proof.........

Elmo, next time don't present any facts or proof. To be really unbiased you cannot have any proof to prove Intel is better or this or that.

Can't wait to see if KeithLM finds this thread. He will argue to the bone that AMD is "smoother". It used to be because of the IMC but since Core i7 has a IMC I don't know what it is.

AMD is just "smooth".

lol.

Indeed the smoothness (in frames) was noticed especially in Microsoft Flight Simulator X with a Phenom CPU however since Intel now uses an IMC and indeed has a higher memory bandwidth with LGA 1366 i7's this point (smoothness) is moot in my opinion.
Also this point is moot with LGA 1156 i5's and i7's.It was really the only technological advantage that showed results that AMD had over Intel at that time with the Core 2 Duo's and Quad's.I did read about it long ago on one site but I can't remember the link now.

The only advantage AMD has now are cheaper CPU's and the reliable old Pin Grid Array's.Well that and the fact they merged with ATI.
Land Grid Array's have an advantage with higher pin densities however this has led to the problems with LGA 1156 with Foxconn sockets.Invariably there are some contacts not made with LGA's but the Foxconn product made it worse.
It's not a bad problem and for the most part the contact issue is not a severe problem but it is an issue.
a c 172 à CPUs
December 11, 2009 12:42:32 PM

jj463rd said:

The only advantage AMD has now are cheaper CPU's and the reliable old Pin Grid Array's.Well that and the fact they merged with ATI.
Land Grid Array's have an advantage with higher pin densities ...

Seems to me that the big advantage of LGA (for Intel, especially :)  ) is that it pawns off the problem of pin breakage onto the motherboard makers.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 12:47:03 PM

Question: If I put an i7 in an oak barrel for 20 years, will it be smoother?

...sure works for this stuff <sip> ;) 
December 11, 2009 6:35:44 PM

I completely agree. Even when trying to browse websites with Internet Explorer Core 2 Duo was extremely laggy. With my advanced AMD Phenom CPU the experience is far smoother.

I also noticed Core 2 CPUs being bogged down all the time in heavy workloads. Even Core i7 also lagged and was slower than an AMD K6 CPU when I was doing intensive megatasking. AMD's superior platformance also came into play here. I was encoding video, ripping music, playing Crysis, running folding at home and seti at home and also copying 1TB of data. My system was still smooth thanks to advanced megatasking platformance features from AMD.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 6:39:34 PM

Mandrake_ said:
I completely agree. Even when trying to browse websites with Internet Explorer Core 2 Duo was extremely laggy. With my advanced AMD Phenom CPU the experience is far smoother.

I also noticed Core 2 CPUs being bogged down all the time in heavy workloads. Even Core i7 also lagged and was slower than an AMD K6 CPU when I was doing intensive megatasking. AMD's superior platformance also came into play here. I was encoding video, ripping music, playing Crysis, running folding at home and seti at home and copying 1TB of data and my system was still smooth thanks to advanced smoothness features from AMD.

See everyone here's the proof.

AMD is leading in platformance, megatasking, smoothness and awesomeness.

(we're not quite sure what any of these statements mean but who cares AMD4LIFE)!
December 11, 2009 6:53:01 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
See everyone here's the proof.

AMD is leading in platformance, megatasking, smoothness and awesomeness.

(we're not quite sure what any of these statements mean but who cares AMD4LIFE)!

It's good to see other pure AMD fans here! I was at a paid-Intel-shill-site AMDZONE and someone suggested that Intel CPUs could be overclocked to 3.32GHz. These are lies. Intel CPUs cannot clock above 2.9GHz ever. I also saw claims that Intel has higher clock for clock performance. These are lies. They obviously failed to benchmark the megatasking performance of the system and paid no attention to the smoothness of the system. These paid shills are a disgrace to AMD fans everywhere!

AMD leads in all respects. Megatasking, platformance, smoothness and clearly awesomeness too. All others are paid Intel shills.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 7:25:37 PM

AMD chips are not smoother. On the bottom of them they have all these pesky little pins. If you rub on them they can break. That is not smoothness.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 7:47:01 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
So the other day I was having an argument with an individual whom we shall call "MaronBatrix" regarding CPU performance under various applications.

Over the course of this argument I was met with a claim, which at first, confused me. The claim was that a system running an AMD Phenom II was "smoother" than a system running an Intel Core i7. I asked for a more elaborate explanation but was met with an IP ban (again).

Not one to let go that easily I decided to investigate and it appears that "MaronBatrix" was correct. There is a benchmark available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jzk0uyllytz which will show you the superiority of the AMD CPUs.

Give it a whirl :p 

EDIT:

I've figured it out. AMD have officially integrated Awesomeness into their cores. The integrated awesomeness engine is responsible for the "smoothness" feature. See bellow die shot for proof:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/ElMoIsEviL/103448_die.jpg

Hmm, looks more like a pigeon dropping than integrated "awe-sum"ness :D .

That's typical AMD quality control - the fab engineers are all dressed up in clean suits like techie monkeys, but the flock of pigeons roosting in the rafters is what caused Barcelona failurez :p 

BTW, how is ol' BMW, minus the W, doin'??
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 7:52:59 PM

someguy7 said:
AMD chips are not smoother. On the bottom of them they have all these pesky little pins. If you rub on them they can break. That is not smoothness.

That's the infamous "5 o'clock shadow" effect, which just shows AMD CPUs are fulla testosterone, or some such. Just use yer Razer mouse and give it a close shave to restore that smoothyness.

December 11, 2009 8:07:49 PM

In before Soldier posts pics of his disco ball of a computer and rips on Intel.

:D 

a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 9:14:48 PM

the word 'megatasking' has not been used enough.

December 11, 2009 9:35:15 PM

megatasking, megatasking, megatasking!!
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 9:38:48 PM

Ok.. back to reality. You see it is possible for anyone to be irrational and unreasonable. I did it to illustrate my point by taken a page out of Stephen Colbert's book.

a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 9:40:25 PM

iv heard this rumor a few times from actual reviewers where the AMD rig (post Athlon64/Core2) where the AMD was slower in benchmarks for games yet smoother when it was above that 30fps minimum mark etc

Never seen it my self and still sounds like crap to me but yeah
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 9:44:10 PM

apache_lives said:
iv heard this rumor a few times from actual reviewers where the AMD rig (post Athlon64/Core2) where the AMD was slower in benchmarks for games yet smoother when it was above that 30fps minimum mark etc

It is crap as it cannot be measured empirically and one must rely on the subjective opinions of individuals with questionable objectivity in the matter.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 10:58:15 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
It is crap as it cannot be measured empirically and one must rely on the subjective opinions of individuals with questionable objectivity in the matter.

To be fair, there is no known way of measuring "smoothness" empirically. One would first need to identify a possible reason for something feeling smoother, and then develop a benchmark to test that particular area. Before Core i7 I read that it was the IMC causing Phenom to be smoother than Core 2, but apparently Core i7 isn't smooth either, so the IMC argument is dead in the water. What next? Monolithic quads are smoother? Oops, Core i7 is monolithic as well. Hmm... I guess it is all in the name. :bounce: 
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2009 1:34:46 AM

Well, I would say that if there is no discernable lag between an input and the computer's response (such as moving the mouse in game), and the maximum frame rendering time is below around 33ms (which would correspond to 30 fps (and taking a mean and standard deviation would be even more relevant)), then there could not possibly be any element of "smoothness" missing. If it isn't smooth, I'd have expected it to either be lagging or stuttering, and the above two empirical tests would confirm that neither was happening.
a c 127 à CPUs
December 12, 2009 4:28:18 AM

jsc said:
Seems to me that the big advantage of LGA (for Intel, especially :)  ) is that it pawns off the problem of pin breakage onto the motherboard makers.

I read that when it came out it was for the ability to have more contact per pin. Since its a set of balls pushed into the CPU it gives them something like 33% more contact.

As for the LGA1156 problem, thats like the AMD based mobos that had such weak caps that they blew when they had a CPU over a certain TDP. It is the mobo makers fault. If it was specifically LGA then we would have seen it on LGA775 and LGA1336.

brett1042002 said:
In before Soldier posts pics of his disco ball of a computer and rips on Intel.

:D 

Haven't seen him recently. Think he might have skedadled to AMDZone.

apache_lives said:

Until the human eye can percieve more than 30FPS (well norrmally 32 but yea) then we cannot tell.

I think its all personal opinion trying to be thrown around as fact. Just like how they tried to claim C2Q bottlenecked the FSB even though it was able to compete in everything but server or memory hog apps vs Phenom and even Phenom II. Or how every program that ever shows Intel winning is biased because Intel paid and enhanced the program. pretty much anything but random stuff people use.
December 12, 2009 4:48:40 AM

AMD smooth=babies rearend
Intel smooth=French womans armpits

PS This is unconfirmed tho, since maronbatrix was busy sniffing said armpit
December 12, 2009 4:58:57 AM

You got it wrong Elmo, awesomeness isnt just integrated into each PhenomII CPU, its in the whole Dragon platform! Hence the enhanced smoothiness of AMD is actually an aftereffect of their superior platformance in megatasking situations.

*Nods thoughtfully*
December 12, 2009 5:05:35 AM

Its the water, when they use their lithography
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2009 6:05:56 AM

you cant spell phenominal smoothness without PHENOM.

thats not a coincidence ya know.
a c 172 à CPUs
December 12, 2009 7:22:30 AM

jimmysmitty said:
I read that when it came out it was for the ability to have more contact per pin. Since its a set of balls pushed into the CPU it gives them something like 33% more contact.

Intel would say that. :)  But those balls need to make contact with pins on the motherboard.

Now, socket design may be simpler because you do not need a horizontal clamping mechanism to grab CPU pins but it makes the CPU socket very fragile.

And for Elmo and the original topic:
megatasking, megatasking, MEGATASKING. :bounce: 
!