ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
So the other day I was having an argument with an individual whom we shall call "MaronBatrix" regarding CPU performance under various applications.

Over the course of this argument I was met with a claim, which at first, confused me. The claim was that a system running an AMD Phenom II was "smoother" than a system running an Intel Core i7. I asked for a more elaborate explanation but was met with an IP ban (again).

Not one to let go that easily I decided to investigate and it appears that "MaronBatrix" was correct. There is a benchmark available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jzk0uyllytz which will show you the superiority of the AMD CPUs.

Give it a whirl :p

EDIT:

I've figured it out. AMD have officially integrated Awesomeness into their cores. The integrated awesomeness engine is responsible for the "smoothness" feature. See bellow die shot for proof:
103448_die.jpg

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

It's a real benchmark man.. trust me. You know I'd never trick you.

It's changed my perspective man. AMD4LIFE!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

It's hard to convey sarcasm online ;).

AMD4Life!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Yeah..

The other day I was using my step sister's brother's mother's grand father's sister in law twice removed's PC with an Intel Core i7 and something just didn't feel right. It just didn't feel quite as "smooth". "Smoothmark" has shown me why. So with this data (both Subjective and Objective) there is only one obvious conclusion.

AMD4Life!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

I will have to investigate that as well :p

Well you will need to get rid of that POS rig you have.

Clearly it isn't up to the task.

While your at it delete your account here so we don't have to put up with your Intel fanboi rubbish.

The thread was about as useful as a one button mouse.

Have a nice day on WoW.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

This isn't about Intel fanboyism. This is about AMD being smoother. It's smoother why won't you believe me? Don't worry man I'm changing my signature. All AMD from now on because it's "smoother".

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
When I put my i7 into the motherboard, the IHS felt smooth, but I guess not smooth enough. How much smoother is an AMD CPU? Will this benchmark test my IHS for the smoothness rating? I don't want a cut from it. :(

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
This benchmark will show you just how evil Intel Corp is. And all the review sites who say otherwise are paid off. AMD always come up with new technology while Intel only copy.

The benchmark does not lie. :p

Intel bankrupt Q2 2010

Man you must forget the amount of people who claim AMD is "smoother". Or you haven't been here long enough. Either way its funny you tend to be negative towards Elmo when the only posts he has made were about facts with links to proof.........

Elmo, next time don't present any facts or proof. To be really unbiased you cannot have any proof to prove Intel is better or this or that.

Can't wait to see if KeithLM finds this thread. He will argue to the bone that AMD is "smoother". It used to be because of the IMC but since Core i7 has a IMC I don't know what it is.

AMD is just "smooth".

lol.

That's pretty hefty claim! Q2 2010 would be September 2010. That 9.5 months away. Dont think that a billion dollar empire would go down that easy especially if when its new line of processors are doing so well albeit at a steeper price!

About the smoothness, i think it depends on how balanced your PC is. I mean every part should be n'sync with each other. Cant have a HD4970 with E7200 at stock! Can you? Neither can you have a HD4670 on a 24 inch monitor with a Core i7! Or slow RAM's or a weak PSU for that matter. For a smooth ride, everything should be balanced an working at optimum. You don't to overclock everything you can lay your hands on! Intel or AMD its doesn't matter that much! Other components do play a key role.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

It's not the IMC, it's the IHS, sorry. My i7 is very rough

Yeah, I thought it was April 1st until I remembered that Christmas will be here soon.

Tell that to GM stockholders.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Indeed the smoothness (in frames) was noticed especially in Microsoft Flight Simulator X with a Phenom CPU however since Intel now uses an IMC and indeed has a higher memory bandwidth with LGA 1366 i7's this point (smoothness) is moot in my opinion.
Also this point is moot with LGA 1156 i5's and i7's.It was really the only technological advantage that showed results that AMD had over Intel at that time with the Core 2 Duo's and Quad's.I did read about it long ago on one site but I can't remember the link now.

The only advantage AMD has now are cheaper CPU's and the reliable old Pin Grid Array's.Well that and the fact they merged with ATI.
Land Grid Array's have an advantage with higher pin densities however this has led to the problems with LGA 1156 with Foxconn sockets.Invariably there are some contacts not made with LGA's but the Foxconn product made it worse.
It's not a bad problem and for the most part the contact issue is not a severe problem but it is an issue.

Seems to me that the big advantage of LGA (for Intel, especially :) ) is that it pawns off the problem of pin breakage onto the motherboard makers.