Couppy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Currently ordered some new parts online to increase the performance of my computer. It now looks that I'm Im building a new computer. I have come to you guys to ask your opinion of what I should do. Anyways I purchased a

video card: XFX Radeon HD 4870 750MHZ 512MB 3.6GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDCP Video Card

a power supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply.

(all factory parts so far)
My specs are :

Model; Gateway GT5232E,

Processor: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core, 256 kilobyte primary memory cache, 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache, 64-bit ready, Multi-core (2 total), Not hyper-threaded.

Ram: 1920 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 2 slots open (Buying either a 2 or 4 gig stick next paycheque.)

MOBO Specs: http://www.deal-stop.com/K2BC51LF_FIC-K2BC51LF-Gateway-4006147R-Board.lmsp

So basically my questions/ problems are: Should I buy a new mobo+ processor, If so what's a good brand that you can trust that affordable.
not sure if my motherboard is still supported, might have to ditch with a duo core. (Dont know if It's a am2 or am2+) Was wondering what else should be upgraded. My computer is mainly for gaming, Hopefully it'll run starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they come out like a charm.

Couppy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
EDIT: It seems I posted in the wrong forums, was wondering if a mod could move my forum to the appropriate forum. Or if someone couldanswer my questions in time, that good too. =)

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I agree - see what you get with the current upgrade and then decide if it is worth the second upgrade.

Note that you will most likely need new memory if replace the mobo and CPU so the upgrade will run close to $350-$500 to replace all three with midrange options.

Adding just more memory (is it dual channel that requires adding two instead of one?) may have a small increase in performance - depends on how high your settings are and the size of monitor you use - but it might be better to save for the big 3 upgrade then to spend more on memory that cannot be used in the next upgrade.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
The recommendation of 450w on the video card is for the full system, so you should be OK. OCZ Modstream is an above average PSU - a good choice for a single video card system. If you go to two cards then you will need a larger PSU.

Also note that when buying a new one - it is best to target operating in the 60% range - if your system says you need 400w then get 600w. When you get near full utilization, efficiency drops and the fans speed up - some can get a little noisy then. Plus it leaves you room to upgrade without pushing it.

Here is a site with a free power supply calculator. You can plug in all components and it will tell you the size needed. I recommend spending a few dollars more, if possible, and using the Pro calculator which tells you how much you need for each circuit - the 3,5, and 12v amounts which is good to know. It has prices from $2 for one day use to $10 for lifetime access.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

rockyjohn

Distinguished