Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Choosing the right graphics card

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 22, 2009 3:49:25 PM

hai very one ,
Iam planning to build a new system especially for gaming .I want to play the latest games,espcially fifa 2010$latest version of NFS,crysis , far cry.world of conflicts etc. at its maximum details.Ihave a 17" tft monitor(LG 177WSB) has a maximum resolution of 1440x900.Planning to build a specification as follows...
CPU AMD Athlon X2 7850
Mobo Asus AM2N68 Plus
Kingston 2GB Ram(800Mhz)
320 GB Hard Disk
sony combo drive
This specification is bcoz for reducing the total cost. But I don't want tomake compramise for the graphics, so I wish for a ,cooler master RC 690 cabinet,corsairVX450 PSU and a graphics card with 512 mb 256 bit DDR3(max. of RS.6500), no matter wether ATI or nVidea. I need ur advice which card I should go for that should have the above mentioned config. should run cool and quiet and should have less power consumption.Thanx in advance for the valuable suggessions.

More about : choosing graphics card

September 22, 2009 4:05:36 PM

Alright, so you haven't bought any of those parts yet, am I correct?

What is your budget? And do you have an OS?

September 22, 2009 6:40:05 PM

Get a 9800GT/GTS 250 (they're almost the same) from Nvidia or a HD 4850 from ATI. They will max out any game currently in existence at 1440x900.

Maybe you should do a modest overclokc on your CPU, say 3.0ghz and get 4GB ram to make gaming a lot smoother.
Related resources
September 23, 2009 1:34:46 PM

:hello: 
build said:
Alright, so you haven't bought any of those parts yet, am I correct?

What is your budget? And do you have an OS?

Budget, RS.25000, ya I do have an OS-Windows XP 2002 with service pack 2.I haven't bought any of those parts yet
September 23, 2009 1:45:27 PM

Gulli said:
Get a 9800GT/GTS 250 (they're almost the same) from Nvidia or a HD 4850 from ATI. They will max out any game currently in existence at 1440x900.

Maybe you should do a modest overclokc on your CPU, say 3.0ghz and get 4GB ram to make gaming a lot smoother.

what bout a 9600gt Oc or hd 4670? they are more energy efficient . aren't them?
September 23, 2009 2:06:49 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:1st week of octo
BUDGET RANGE:400-500US$(RS. 20000-RS. 25000)
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, , watching movies, surfing the internet.
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:India
PARTS PREFERENCES:no matter wether AMD or Intel, should be energy efficient and under my budget
OVERCLOCKING:NO, may prefer factory overclocked parts
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 max.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:I would like a cool $ quiet PC,should be energy efficient,and shoud be able to play games at max. detail , espcially fifa 2010, latest vers. of NFS, etc.
September 23, 2009 4:52:31 PM

rajeeve said:
what bout a 9600gt Oc or hd 4670? they are more energy efficient . aren't them?


The 4670 consumes so little power it doesn't need a PCI-E connector (so a cheap PSU will do), there is a low power "Green" version of the 9600GT, it's a little bit more powerful than the 4670 but also more expensive, both will do pretty well at 1440x900, your call.
September 24, 2009 9:45:31 AM

Gulli said:
The 4670 consumes so little power it doesn't need a PCI-E connector (so a cheap PSU will do), there is a low power "Green" version of the 9600GT, it's a little bit more powerful than the 4670 but also more expensive, both will do pretty well at 1440x900, your call.

Ok, can u suggest any online shop in india who supplies the green version of 9600gt? bcoz Iam from India.
September 24, 2009 9:45:34 AM

Gulli said:
The 4670 consumes so little power it doesn't need a PCI-E connector (so a cheap PSU will do), there is a low power "Green" version of the 9600GT, it's a little bit more powerful than the 4670 but also more expensive, both will do pretty well at 1440x900, your call.

Ok, can u suggest any online shop in india who supplies the green version of 9600gt? bcoz Iam from India.
One more query, hd 4670 has 320 SPS but 128 bit, while 9600 gt has only 64 SPS but 256 bit .how the no. of SPS affect in both these card?(ATI and nVidia)
September 24, 2009 10:21:38 AM

rajeeve said:
Ok, can u suggest any online shop in india who supplies the green version of 9600gt? bcoz Iam from India.
One more query, hd 4670 has 320 SPS but 128 bit, while 9600 gt has only 64 SPS but 256 bit .how the no. of SPS affect in both these card?(ATI and nVidia)


Well, they perform similiar, with the 9600GT coming on top, the "Green" version is a little less powerful than a normal 9600GT and would probably perform nearly equal to the 4670.
Just get the cheapest of the two (probably the 4670, which is also more widely available.)

I cannot recommend an Indian shop because I've never lived in India, but google is your friend.
September 24, 2009 2:34:06 PM

Gulli said:
Well, they perform similiar, with the 9600GT coming on top, the "Green" version is a little less powerful than a normal 9600GT and would probably perform nearly equal to the 4670.
Just get the cheapest of the two (probably the 4670, which is also more widely available.)

I cannot recommend an Indian shop because I've never lived in India, but google is your friend.

ok , thanx a lot, but I should definitely prefer 9600gt green version, ok one more doubt, which brand I should prefer for the green version of 9600gt.Kindly let me know which brand I should go for a "standard "version(may be for afactory over clocked one)of 9600gt? once again a lot thanx to ur unlimitted support till now......
September 24, 2009 3:14:43 PM

rajeeve said:
ok , thanx a lot, but I should definitely prefer 9600gt green version, ok one more doubt, which brand I should prefer for the green version of 9600gt.Kindly let me know which brand I should go for a "standard "version(may be for afactory over clocked one)of 9600gt? once again a lot thanx to ur unlimitted support till now......


I didn't say you have to prefer the 9600GT Green, if your only choices are the 9600GT Green and HD 4670 then there is no clear winner, so just get the cheapest.
September 25, 2009 11:34:22 AM

build said:
Alright I'm a bit confused, click this link http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261222_13_0.ht... and post in the same format as shown.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:1st week of octo
BUDGET RANGE:400-500US$(RS. 20000-RS. 25000)
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, , watching movies, surfing the internet.
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:India
PARTS PREFERENCES:no matter wether AMD or Intel, should be energy efficient and under my budget
OVERCLOCKING:NO, may prefer factory overclocked parts
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 max.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:I would like a cool $ quiet PC,should be energy efficient,and shoud be able to play games at max. detail , espcially fifa 2010, latest vers. of NFS, etc.
September 25, 2009 11:42:19 AM

Gulli said:
I didn't say you have to prefer the 9600GT Green, if your only choices are the 9600GT Green and HD 4670 then there is no clear winner, so just get the cheapest.

On the power consumption side I like to have 9600gt green, but on perfomance side I wish to have 9800gt.But Iam confused which brand to get .It should be cool and quiet and should deliver greater perfomance.Any suggesion?
September 25, 2009 11:42:19 AM

Gulli said:
I didn't say you have to prefer the 9600GT Green, if your only choices are the 9600GT Green and HD 4670 then there is no clear winner, so just get the cheapest.

On the power consumption side I like to have 9600gt green, but on perfomance side I wish to have 9800gt.But Iam confused which brand to get .It should be cool and quiet and should deliver greater perfomance.Any suggesion?
September 25, 2009 5:11:00 PM

Can you list what brands are available to you? I'm not sure what brands you have over there in India ;) 
September 25, 2009 8:19:58 PM

rajeeve said:
On the power consumption side I like to have 9600gt green, but on perfomance side I wish to have 9800gt.But Iam confused which brand to get .It should be cool and quiet and should deliver greater perfomance.Any suggesion?


You can't have your cake and eat it too, anything higher than a 4670/9600GT Green will need a PCI-E connector, so you either have to get a better power supply or limit yourself to the 4670/9600GT Green choice.
I can help you to maximize performance.

The reference clocks for the 4670 are: GPU clock speed = 750mhz and memory clock speed = 2000mhz (some sources list it as 1000mhz, but they mean the same.)
The reference clocks for the 9600GT Green are: GPU clock speed = 600mhz and memory clock speed = 1800mhz (some sources list it as 900mhz, but they mean the same.)

Performance is tied almost linearly to these clock speeds (Nvidia and ATI use completely techniques, so you can't compare between those two brands), so if you find a 4670 or 9600GT Green that has higher clock speeds than the ones I listed you will have a better performing card, you can use google for this.
September 26, 2009 5:33:31 PM

Gulli said:
You can't have your cake and eat it too, anything higher than a 4670/9600GT Green will need a PCI-E connector, so you either have to get a better power supply or limit yourself to the 4670/9600GT Green choice.
I can help you to maximize performance.

The reference clocks for the 4670 are: GPU clock speed = 750mhz and memory clock speed = 2000mhz (some sources list it as 1000mhz, but they mean the same.)
The reference clocks for the 9600GT Green are: GPU clock speed = 600mhz and memory clock speed = 1800mhz (some sources list it as 900mhz, but they mean the same.)

Performance is tied almost linearly to these clock speeds (Nvidia and ATI use completely techniques, so you can't compare between those two brands), so if you find a 4670 or 9600GT Green that has higher clock speeds than the ones I listed you will have a better performing card, you can use google for this.

ok, but 4670 has 128 bit bus interface while 9600gt has 256 bit interface , that means the latter has clear edge over the other one?
September 26, 2009 5:47:45 PM

rajeeve said:
ok, but 4670 has 128 bit bus interface while 9600gt has 256 bit interface , that means the latter has clear edge over the other one?


No, they use completely different technologies, the 4670 and 9600GT Green perform almost equally at their stock speeds.

You know what, just get a 4670, I'm 99% sure it'll be easier to find and cheaper as well.
September 27, 2009 8:13:51 AM

Gulli said:
No, they use completely different technologies, the 4670 and 9600GT Green perform almost equally at their stock speeds.

You know what, just get a 4670, I'm 99% sure it'll be easier to find and cheaper as well.


Ok , thanks a lot gullie,I would like to go for a saphire hd 467o 512 mb ddr4 if it's available here in india(iam not so sure)
or some other brand of 4670.Can u pls refer a system config. for me by keeping the following things......
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:1st week of octo
BUDGET RANGE:400-500US$(RS. 20000-RS. 25000)
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, , watching movies, surfing the internet.
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:India
PARTS PREFERENCES:no matter wether AMD or Intel, should be energy efficient and under my budget
OVERCLOCKING:NO, may prefer factory overclocked parts
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 max.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:I would like a cool $ quiet PC,should be energy efficient,and shoud be able to play games at max. detail , espcially fifa 2010, latest vers. of NFS, etc.Once again thanks a lot and hoping ur valuable suggessions for the future tooooooo...........
September 27, 2009 8:48:35 AM

rajeeve said:
Ok , thanks a lot gullie,I would like to go for a saphire hd 467o 512 mb ddr4 if it's available here in india(iam not so sure)
or some other brand of 4670.Can u pls refer a system config. for me by keeping the following things......
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:1st week of octo
BUDGET RANGE:400-500US$(RS. 20000-RS. 25000)
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, , watching movies, surfing the internet.
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:India
PARTS PREFERENCES:no matter wether AMD or Intel, should be energy efficient and under my budget
OVERCLOCKING:NO, may prefer factory overclocked parts
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 max.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:I would like a cool $ quiet PC,should be energy efficient,and shoud be able to play games at max. detail , espcially fifa 2010, latest vers. of NFS, etc.Once again thanks a lot and hoping ur valuable suggessions for the future tooooooo...........


Get the system you suggested at the beginning of this thread, but you could get a away with a smaller PSU with the 4670 (like a Coolermaster extreme power 460W.)
!