Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hi there,

just 2 days ago, i installed a custom water cooled system, specs below:

Corsair Obsidian 650D Case
Koolance VID-NX580 Reference GTX 580/570 VGA Cooler
XSPC RayStorm CPU Waterblock for Intel
Koolance Copper Core CU720V High Flow 2x120mm Radiator
XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir (Alu Front)
Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump

with an asrock z68 board, i5 2500k cpu, gtx 570 gpu.

Current idle temps are sitting at:

CPU: 45*C
GPU: 32*C

although just yesterday, idle temps were 30*C for the CPU...

why would it suddenly just jump up so high?

here's a speed fan screen shot...

http://i.imgur.com/1rAdy.png

First off, for temps use something like CPU-Z and a GPU tool like MSI Afterburner - the temps from those are generally much more reliable than from SpeedFan (I've had it tell me my CPU was at 100C before). Utilities like Afterburner will also give you graphs so you (and we) can see how the temps change when you make changes/do things during normal operation.

Secondly, my first inclination would be the radiator - we generally recommend a 2x120mm radiator per component, and even more space for hotter components like GTX 580s, etc.

In a loop with not enough rad space, you tend to see a greater effect of smaller variables (like a 1-2C temp difference in your room). If you ran your computer the day before when it was several degrees cooler, it is reasonable that it changed that drastically the next day.

mik0392

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hi,
thanks for the reply.

Heres a screenshot of HWMonitor http://i.imgur.com/wpiz7.png, these temperatures are idle, just 5 minutes after the computer was turned on.

Since it's summer down here in australia, ive had my air conditioner on, so my room has not been hot or warm in any way.

My loop is Pump > reservoir > radiator > cpu >gpu > pump.

CPU seems to be the only component over heating (gpu seems reasonable). I have checked and reapplied thermal paste (artic silver 5). and getting same results.

My next two things to try when i can, is play around with air flow. and possibly a new brand of thermal compound.

Take the temperature readings ~30mins - 1 hour after you turn the computer on. 5 minutes after doesn't tell us much.

It makes sense that if the GPU isn't doing anything that it's temps are where they are now, but the CPU seems a little warm to me (may actually be fine). Are you overclocked at all?

You've still got a radiator issue - you simply do not have enough radiators, which is preventing the loop from dissipating enough heat (and therefore causing the high temps). I'd recommend at least another 2x120mm radiator, and I'm not even sure what fans you're using or how good Koolance's rads are.

For kicks, you can watch your GPU temps fluctuate on MSI Afterburner.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You've still got a radiator issue - you simply do not have enough radiators, which is preventing the loop from dissipating enough heat (and therefore causing the high temps). I'd recommend at least another 2x120mm radiator, and I'm not even sure what fans you're using or how good Koolance's rads are.

This is your main issue- you simply do not have enough radiator space to dissipate the heat generated by your GPU and CPU. You really should have about double what you currently have. Your rad is 30 FPI...not sure why you went with such a dense fin platform for such a small rad (and only one at that).

Loop order does not matter for flow or temps...at all. Thermal paste isn't going to give you any more than maybe 1-2C difference in temps, and if so, it is highly likely due to human error in application differences for any performance difference.