Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Problem with Flash

Last response: in Overclocking
December 18, 2011 11:57:17 AM

I've recently tried overclocking my 1090T BE. I'm using the stock cooler so I've only done a mild overclock of 3.6ghz (18x Multiplier). I'm also using a GTX 560, Asus Motherboard, 2x4gb DDR1600 and a 650w power supply.

After adjusting the multiplier I tried with the stock voltage and it seemed fine at first but eventually I crashed. When I logged back in the error report just said a blue screen. I did some reading and thought perhaps I needed to adjust the voltage so every time I've crashed I would increase the voltage 2 notches which is approx 0.003 each time.

After every attempt I would run some stress tests and they would claim its stable, I played a good few hours of battlefield 3 and it didn't crash once then I went to mess around on a facebook game and it crashed. I realized that everytime I crashed it was while playing a facebook game so I tried to repeat it and sure enough the computer is 100% stable until I load up a facebook game. This never happened once before I overclocked the CPU.

Does anyone have any idea why an overclocked PC would crash only while playing flash games?

My temp is 40C and up to 50-53C with a heavy load and my voltage is around 1.45v
December 18, 2011 2:56:05 PM

Well I thought it was flash in general but I just spent some time playing other flash games and its been stable, it just seems to be facebook games. I still find it odd that they were fine before I overclocked. Memtest , IntelBurnTest and so Prime95 all claim that my PC is stable and working great.

If anyone has any idea's that I can try any help at all would be great.
m
l
December 18, 2011 3:28:04 PM

have you tried putting your clocks back to normal to see if your system still crashes when playing facebook flash games,
it could be software related, especially if its the same peice of software causing it to crash
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2011 3:30:28 PM

donkeywax said:
have you tried putting your clocks back to normal to see if your system still crashes when playing facebook flash games,
it could be software related, especially if its the same peice of software causing it to crash

yea it works perfectly fine on the stock speeds, I've tried using google chrome, firefox and IE and reinstalled flash for all 3 and the problem still persists but only with facebook games while my CPU is overclocked.
m
l
December 18, 2011 4:54:34 PM

what motherboard are you using ?
when you say stock voltage did you set it to that or did you leave it on auto,
have you disabled cool and quite, are you running any other power saving programmes like asus epu that could be interfearing
m
l
December 18, 2011 5:22:26 PM

donkeywax said:
what motherboard are you using ?
when you say stock voltage did you set it to that or did you leave it on auto,
have you disabled cool and quite, are you running any other power saving programmes like asus epu that could be interfearing

I am using an Asus M4A87TD EVO and I tried on auto for voltage and manually set it to the stock as well. I have Turbo Core, Cool n Quiet and C1E disabled. I read that it is wise to have all 3 of those disabled when overclocking.

I have the voltages set as follows:

CPU - 1.4v
NB - 1.1v
CPU/NB - 1.175v (not sure what this is exactly or how it relates to the two above) I have Turbo Core, Cool n Quiet disabled
DRAM -1.5v
HT - 1.2v

I have tried up to a 1.45v on the CPU to see if that would correct the problem with the same results. It would seem I have two choices at this point, keep it overclocked and quit Facebook games or just not overclock. Facebook games will lose this battle but I would much rather fix it instead of avoid it.
m
l
December 18, 2011 7:59:04 PM

voltage may have been my problem all along. I increased the v.core to 1.45v and it seems to be fine now. I still find it odd that prime95, intelburntest, and playing battlefield 3 all worked fine with 1.4v but playing a facebook game caused it to crash. I'll be back if it acts up but so far so good.

As a side note, 1.45v seems to be my limit when it comes to temperatures, I start to get around 55C load temperatures which I hear is about as high as I want to get. I have a new water cooler on the way and ill push it higher to see where I get once I can manage the temperature better.
m
l
December 19, 2011 1:29:32 AM

when you test for stability with prime95 make sure you run it for 30 minutes AT LEAST. In your case where problems are persistent id leave it on for an hour just to be sure.

I had an oc that would pass all the initial prime95 tests but would fail when i got to the later ones (8K i think). It never bsod'd on anything else at all.

on the off chance that its something else, try updating/reinstalling your video card drivers. upping the voltage should be your last resort especially since you're reaching your temperature limit.
m
l
December 19, 2011 3:34:36 PM

The problem wasn't fixed so I am back, I already updated my video drivers that was one of the first things I did and I ran prime95 for 2 hours and it was fine, for some reason it is only the facebook flash games that will cause the reboot but only when overclocked.

I am puzzled to say the least.
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:12:14 PM

i would try putting all your voltage apart from vcore to auto see if this helps
with a modest overclock there should be know need to change them,
i took my phenon 965 to 4000mhz before i touched the nb voltage.
appart from dram set that to manufacture recommended,

sorry if they already are you didnt say
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:22:35 PM

what psu are you using? 650w is kinda cuttin it close to oc a 1090. from what i understand cheaper psu's tend to put out less than rated wattage.

try setting ram to stock speeds and voltage manually.

disable cool n quiet and all unnecessary features/unused usb/firewire ports.

flash bios to the latest version.

i dont think its a problem with your oc or voltage. but if you're still having problems reset to defaults and stock frequency of 3.2ghz and see that flash or anything else doesnt cause crash with an entire day of normal use to completely rule out your oc settings.

software issue would be a pain to resolve. i suppose thats why they say you should oc on a clean install of windows. if nothing works, reinstalling windows is your last option seeing as you'd have tried everything else by now.
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:27:09 PM

donkeywax said:
i would try putting all your voltage apart from vcore to auto see if this helps
with a modest overclock there should be know need to change them,
i took my phenon 965 to 4000mhz before i touched the nb voltage.
appart from dram set that to manufacture recommended,

sorry if they already are you didnt say

I've tried both with manually putting in the stock voltages, auto and increasing the voltage with no success. Oddly though like I stated the computer only crashes with facebook flash games. I've played battlefield 3 and other things that I would think would be significantly more stressful on the PC without any problems. Oddly though the facebook games are completely stable when not overclocked.
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:33:24 PM

jbseven said:
what psu are you using? 650w is kinda cuttin it close to oc a 1090. from what i understand cheaper psu's tend to put out less than rated wattage.

try setting ram to stock speeds and voltage manually.

disable cool n quiet and all unnecessary features/unused usb/firewire ports.

i dont think its a problem with your oc or voltage. but if you're still having problems reset to defaults and stock frequency of 3.2ghz and see that flash or anything else doesnt cause crash with an entire day of normal use to completely rule out your oc settings.

software issue would be a pain to resolve. i suppose thats why they say you should oc on a clean install of windows. if nothing works, reinstalling windows is your last option seeing as you'd have tried everything else by now.

I am using a Antec EarthWatts EA-650 but I really don't think its a problem with the power supply. I have also tried to manually set the stock dram voltages and speeds with the same results. Also all unnecessary features and ones I am not using are disabled.

I've been meaning to see if there's an update for my bios thanks for reminding me, As to the last comment I've had this PC running for a couple months now with no problems with the stock settings. For some reason the PC only crashes while overclocked and only playing facebook flash games.

I'll go see if there's a bios update right now and see if that was maybe the problem.
m
l
December 19, 2011 8:17:52 PM

jbseven said:

I checked and it appeared I had the latest bios version but the dates on my mobo and on the website were different so I flashed it anyways. Unfortunately the problem was not fixed.
m
l
December 19, 2011 8:46:45 PM

i was reading in another forum that other people had same problem with flash games as you,
apparently update latest google chrome and fire fox fixed it though,

are you running latest version,
he also said cpu spiks to 100%
maybe your stock frequency handles the spiks where your overclock one wont
m
l
December 19, 2011 9:25:10 PM

donkeywax said:
i was reading in another forum that other people had same problem with flash games as you,
apparently update latest google chrome and fire fox fixed it though,

are you running latest version,
he also said cpu spiks to 100%
maybe your stock frequency handles the spiks where your overclock one wont

I've tried the latest IE, Firefox and Google Chrome and had the same results with all 3, as for the frequency what would you suggest?
m
l
December 20, 2011 12:06:08 PM

I have found a stable overclock although I had to do it through alternate means to adjust just the multiplier.

I had to reduce my multiplier down to 15x but increase the bus speed to 240. I have been stable at 3.6ghz but I find it puzzling that I cannot just increase the multiplier to 18x and keep my bus speed at 200 for a stable overclock.

Perhaps there is a connection here with my problem, does anyone have any insight they can share?
m
l
December 24, 2011 3:09:43 PM

Hate to post this twice in a 2nd thread of mine but I want to show the solution to my problem.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out the problem until I stumbled across this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2404/5

Apparently it was LLC and having my voltages set to manual that was causing the problem. As this article suggests setting your voltage to offset and disabling LLC allows me to overclock with a lower voltage consumption.

I hope this helps anyone else that's having similar problems.
m
l
!