Sign in with
Your question

Newbie asking about proposed system build

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2009 4:18:07 PM

I'm considering building my own gaming system for the first time and I've got some newbie questions

Here's the system I am proposing...
ASRock X58 Deluxe ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
(2) - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
(1 or 2) - EVGA GeForce GTX 275 896-P3-1171-AR Video Card - Superclocked Edition
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50
(2) - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive (functioning in RAID 0)
ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor Built in Speakers

The ASRock X58 motherboard shows that there are a number of ports (USB, eSATA, audio, etc.) that are called "Rear Panel Ports". However, the Cooler Master HAF case indicates that it provides external ports (USB, eSATA, audio, etc.) on the top front of the case. The case doesn't appear to allow external ports out the back side. Is this motherboard compatible with this case type? Would I somehow connect/extend the motherboard ports to the front ports on the case? If so, with what kind of cables?

Any suggestions for sound options? I have done some reading and it seems that an X-Fi card with good quality headphones is a good option. I am trying to get headphones that will provide a microphone and positionally aware audio (lets me hear footsteps behind me) that is $150 or less.

Any other opinions/suggestions for the overall system is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
September 22, 2009 4:32:04 PM

No there is no problem, the only compatibility concerns are the motherboard form factor. Your motherboard is ATX, and that case is designed for ATX boards.

Your selection looks good, though that PSU is overkill for your needs. You could drop down to the Corsair 750TX, or 850TX if you feel more comfortable, and save a good bit of change.

However, the new ATI HD5XXX series is being released today, and the new cards are expected to be the best available, it might be wise to wait a day or two and see how these new cards perform and where it puts the current prices.

Onboard sound these days is sufficient for most people, if you are striving for high quality audio, then this would be a solid choice;

HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ($89.99 + Free Shipping)

SENNHEISER HD 280PRO 3.5mm Connector Circumaural PROFESSIONAL Headphone
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ($99.99 + Free Shipping)

Edit: Generally its hard to find to high quality head phones with a microphone
m
l
September 22, 2009 4:42:35 PM

Trans is right about the PSU.

You really don't need 12GB RAM.

There will already be cables inside the case connected to the USB, headphone port, etc. on the top of the case, you just plug those straight into your motherboard. The USB ports at the back of the motherboard are different, once you've properly placed your motherboard inside the case, the "rear panel ports" should be exposed at the back of the case. You can then plug in any devices straight onto it, such as mouse/keyboard.
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2009 4:45:46 PM

Your motherboard will come with a face-plate that you will need to install in the case. Most cases come with a generic one, but you need to make sure the specific motherboard faceplate is installed in the back so everything lines up correctly.
m
l
September 22, 2009 5:27:31 PM

Thanks Transmaniaco. I am just trying to build a PC that'll last 5 years or more, so I am going full tilt on PSU and RAM...just in case I get crazy and go for a second GTX 275 and more. :-)

What you've said about headphones is my experience too. Hard to get good sound and mic. I've heard good things about the Sennheiser you've recommended. If I went with that, any thoughts on a good standalone microphone?

m
l
September 22, 2009 5:30:14 PM

Thanks build. As I mentioned to Trans, just trying to get enough "guts" in system as to not need an upgrade for a few years so I went high on the RAM.

Thanks for your information about the USB ports. That was my understanding too...that there are "USB headers" (and probably something analogous for audio, eSATA, etc) that you'd connect the front ports to on the mobo.

m
l
September 22, 2009 6:02:37 PM

Now, I'm not sure what you want to use this rig for, but I'm not sure if quad core is your best bet. If you want to cut price you can easily go with a Core 2 Duo, some of which can be safely clocked to over 4GHz!!
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_e8500/3.h...
Once again, it's completely up to you, and if you do change your CPU, you'd have to change your motherboard as well. Best of luck!
m
l
September 22, 2009 6:08:21 PM

Unless the OP suddenly becomes strapped for cash, he won't need to resort to a C2D rig :lol: 
m
l
September 22, 2009 6:13:25 PM

The LGA775 Socket is a dead-end path;

i7/i5 > AM3 > LGA775
m
l
!