Is Cingular Likely To Phase Out TDMA?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 3, 2005 4:08:45 PM

I've got an old TDMA plan with a decent price.

If Cingular ever phased out TDMA, I'd think they'd probably switch plans like
mine over to GSM rather than lose them to other carriers.

But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?
--
PeteCresswell

More about : cingular phase tdma

March 3, 2005 9:16:55 PM

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in message

> But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?
> --

ATTWS told me last summer that TDMA had at least another 5 years, maybe even
10 years.

If Cingular ever tries to terminate my rate plan, I'll just terminate
Cingular and go to another carrier.
March 3, 2005 10:13:13 PM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> I've got an old TDMA plan with a decent price.
>
> If Cingular ever phased out TDMA, I'd think they'd probably switch plans like
> mine over to GSM rather than lose them to other carriers.
>
> But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?

Short answer? Yes, it's damn likely. The only real question is when.
Since no wireless carrier is under any statutory obligation to continue
TDMA service, I expect AMPS to outlive TDMA. In urban areas, AMPS is a
mere skeleton of what it was just two years ago.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

> Short answer? Yes, it's damn likely. The only real question is
when.
> Since no wireless carrier is under any statutory obligation to
continue
> TDMA service, I expect AMPS to outlive TDMA.

The statutory obligation to provide AMPS service goes away soon as
well. Carriers aren't likely to provide it since it's inefficient, and
manufacturers aren't likely to support it since it makes for big,
power-hungry phones.

If you absolutely, positively need coverage, get a satellite phone or
HAM radio and you still won't be there ;-)

tg.
March 4, 2005 2:30:07 AM

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?
> > --
>
> ATTWS told me last summer that TDMA had at least another 5 years, maybe
even
> 10 years.
>
> If Cingular ever tries to terminate my rate plan, I'll just terminate
> Cingular and go to another carrier.

Even if Cingular has something better to offer at that time?
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 3:23:55 AM

Pete,
While the future is not bright for TDMA, there are at least 5 Million
customer still using it, mostly from AT&T. Right now, the last thing
Cingular wants to do is blow off any customers. Eventually that number will
drop below a million and they'll be able to afford some kind of incentive to
get the rest to switch.

In the meantime, the TDMA network is alive and well, even among roaming
partners. I've noticed it takes weeks to get a cell site fixed, but
Cingular isn't gonna rock the boat anytime soon.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in message
> I've got an old TDMA plan with a decent price.
>
> If Cingular ever phased out TDMA, I'd think they'd probably switch plans
like
> mine over to GSM rather than lose them to other carriers.
>
> But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?
> --
> PeteCresswell
March 4, 2005 12:55:58 PM

Per Bill Radio:
> Eventually that number will
>drop below a million and they'll be able to afford some kind of incentive to
>get the rest to switch.

That's the scenario I was hoping to see....I guess the only question, then, is
how soon....and from the other posts it doesn't sound like it's going to be this
year or the next...
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

I had TDMA w/ 2 Nokia (5165 ??), and switch to 2 Moto V220 GSM....
I told them I wanted to keep my current plan (39.99 + 9.99) w/1 family
member and they said no problem.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:08:45 -0500, "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid>
wrote:

>I've got an old TDMA plan with a decent price.
>
>If Cingular ever phased out TDMA, I'd think they'd probably switch plans like
>mine over to GSM rather than lose them to other carriers.
>
>But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?
>--
>PeteCresswell
March 4, 2005 4:56:38 PM

Per AgaPSDIVER:
>I had TDMA w/ 2 Nokia (5165 ??), and switch to 2 Moto V220 GSM....
>I told them I wanted to keep my current plan (39.99 + 9.99) w/1 family
>member and they said no problem.

I go the opposite answer (Phila PA area) - but I suspect my plan is different.
When I looked further, it turned out there were a number of family plans - some
supported and others so old they were'nt "supported" (whatever that means...but
it seems to include the ability to move to GSM without paying more...)
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

> I go the opposite answer (Phila PA area) - but I suspect my plan is different.
> When I looked further, it turned out there were a number of family plans - some
> supported and others so old they were'nt "supported" (whatever that means...but
> it seems to include the ability to move to GSM without paying more...)

I never thought of that...but you could keep your plan and have the
"GAIT" option added (TDMA - GSM Interoperability), then Cingular could
null the ESN and give you a GSM phone. Same plan, different phone.

TH
March 4, 2005 6:40:59 PM

"Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> > I go the opposite answer (Phila PA area) - but I suspect my plan is
different.
> > When I looked further, it turned out there were a number of family
plans - some
> > supported and others so old they were'nt "supported" (whatever that
means...but
> > it seems to include the ability to move to GSM without paying more...)
>
> I never thought of that...but you could keep your plan and have the
> "GAIT" option added (TDMA - GSM Interoperability), then Cingular could
> null the ESN and give you a GSM phone. Same plan, different phone.
>
> TH

Could you please explain that? I have 3 TDMA phones from ATTWS, and I've
got a really good deal--one that Cingular will not match on GSM.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 8:31:29 PM

>>I never thought of that...but you could keep your plan and have the
>>"GAIT" option added (TDMA - GSM Interoperability), then Cingular could
>>null the ESN and give you a GSM phone. Same plan, different phone.
>>
>>TH
>
> Could you please explain that? I have 3 TDMA phones from ATTWS, and I've
> got a really good deal--one that Cingular will not match on GSM.

I'm not currently sure how the TDMA/GSM billing systems are set up for
AT&T portion, but when I was on the Cingular side, I had a Preferred
Nation (TDMA plan). I upgraded to a GAIT phone, and Cingular added the
"TDMA-GSM Interoperability" option to my account, and I could now use
use GSM. It was a national plan, but not roam-free. In places where I
use TDMA toll roaming, I would have free GSM roaming.

I would expect that eventually, accounts from AT&T will be copied over
to the Cingular billing systems (when it's more manageable to do so). I
don't think it would be unrealistic for Cingular to use a similar type
of thing to move customers to GSM...by giving them the "TDMA-GSM
Interoperability" and then nulling the ESN (so you cannot use TDMA/AMPS).

Basically, it would be adding the GSM to give you GAIT coverage, then
removing the TDMA/AMPS portion.

However, I do not work for them or make decisions for them, so I am
unsure how it will be handled.

TH
March 4, 2005 8:31:30 PM

Per Tropical Haven:
>don't think it would be unrealistic for Cingular to use a similar type
>of thing to move customers to GSM...by giving them the "TDMA-GSM
>Interoperability" and then nulling the ESN (so you cannot use TDMA/AMPS).
>
>Basically, it would be adding the GSM to give you GAIT coverage, then
>removing the TDMA/AMPS portion.

Would that suggest that, no matter what Cingular plan I am on, that - from a
technological/billing system perspective, as opposed to a business/policy
perspective - I could replace all the phones on my family plan account with GSM
phones without breaking the billing system?
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

Here is how this will play out.
you cannot purchase a TDMA phone, I beleive, only GSM
so, as the number of TDMA customers drops, and it will quickly,

I predict 2 years for TDMA.

Chip

Bill Radio wrote:
> Pete,
> While the future is not bright for TDMA, there are at least 5 Million
> customer still using it, mostly from AT&T. Right now, the last thing
> Cingular wants to do is blow off any customers. Eventually that number will
> drop below a million and they'll be able to afford some kind of incentive to
> get the rest to switch.
>
> In the meantime, the TDMA network is alive and well, even among roaming
> partners. I've noticed it takes weeks to get a cell site fixed, but
> Cingular isn't gonna rock the boat anytime soon.
>
> Bill Radio
> Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
> http://www.mountainwireless.com
>

> "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>I've got an old TDMA plan with a decent price.
>>
>>If Cingular ever phased out TDMA, I'd think they'd probably switch plans
>
> like
>
>>mine over to GSM rather than lose them to other carriers.
>>
>>But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?
>>--
>>PeteCresswell

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:05:58 AM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> Per Tropical Haven:

>>don't think it would be unrealistic for Cingular to use a similar type
>>of thing to move customers to GSM...by giving them the "TDMA-GSM
>>Interoperability" and then nulling the ESN (so you cannot use TDMA/AMPS).
>>
>>Basically, it would be adding the GSM to give you GAIT coverage, then
>>removing the TDMA/AMPS portion.
>

> Would that suggest that, no matter what Cingular plan I am on, that - from a
> technological/billing system perspective, as opposed to a business/policy
> perspective - I could replace all the phones on my family plan account with GSM
> phones without breaking the billing system?

Yes, but the key is "Cingular Plan". The ATTWS system may be different.

TH
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:14:49 AM

> The only added feature that TDMA control channels give
> you is voicemail alert, and some other advanced features.

> The only thing the users will notice is
> the voicemail indicator will no longer work.

I am in error.
The AMPS control channel can control voicemail indicators on the phone.
Duuu............
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:59:15 AM

> For the most part I agree, but however, it could also be a profit issue.
> The basic idea of economics is that resources will flow to thier highest
> valued function, and if GSM users outweigh TDMA users in terms of revenue
> per section of spectrum, it would make sense that TDMA has to be dumped
> for GSM.

That will depend on network crowding.

In a big city where bandwidth is thin.
All AMPS will be cut on the sunset sate.
And all TDMA will be cut sometime before,
or after that time.

But in the majority of areas where the have more
than enough spectrum to run everything.
You won't have any resource flow,
because the high value users don't need it.

Around here, they run AMPS, TDMA and GSM,
all on the 800Mhz band with room to spare.
Never have a fast busy signal (network overload) on any mode.
And we still have extra PCS spectrum to throw in if needed.
March 5, 2005 2:59:16 AM

Per N9WOS:
>Never have a fast busy signal

You sound like you *really* know what you're talking about.

Can you speculate on the cause of this:

Somebody calls my cell phone on a land line. They hear 2-3 ring tones, but my
cell phone hasn't begun to ring yet. Then my cell phone rings about 1.5 times
and it's over...they get shunted to voicemail.

Used to be I got an honest 4 rings on my cell phone. Sometimes it seems like I
still do (at least I get to answer it after 3....)

But more-and-more, it's the 1.5 ring scenario and I don't have time to deploy
the phone and answer. Last few months, I'd say it's been that way most of the
time.

Some kind of latency in some computer's processing of the call?
--
PeteCresswell
March 5, 2005 4:06:29 AM

"Ralph Blach" <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote in message
> Here is how this will play out.
> you cannot purchase a TDMA phone, I beleive, only GSM
> so, as the number of TDMA customers drops, and it will quickly,
>
> I predict 2 years for TDMA.
>
> Chip
>

> Bill Radio wrote:
> > Pete,
> > While the future is not bright for TDMA, there are at least 5 Million
> > customer still using it, mostly from AT&T. Right now, the last thing
> > Cingular wants to do is blow off any customers. Eventually that number
will
> > drop below a million and they'll be able to afford some kind of
incentive to
> > get the rest to switch.
> >
> > In the meantime, the TDMA network is alive and well, even among roaming
> > partners. I've noticed it takes weeks to get a cell site fixed, but
> > Cingular isn't gonna rock the boat anytime soon.
> >
> > Bill Radio
> > Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
> > http://www.mountainwireless.com
> >

> > "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> >>I've got an old TDMA plan with a decent price.
> >>
> >>If Cingular ever phased out TDMA, I'd think they'd probably switch plans
> >
> > like
> >
> >>mine over to GSM rather than lose them to other carriers.
> >>
> >>But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?
> >>--
> >>PeteCresswell

I'm probably going to switch to Verizon when my ATTWS contract is up in
July. All I want is a phone that works--I could care less about all those
features and data.

I never did like Cingular. Hell, I left Cellular One to go to ATTWS.
March 5, 2005 11:17:20 AM

If AMPS is sitll alive with perhaps only 1000 customers using it, then
why would they go after TDMA with MILLIONS of us on it still?
March 5, 2005 11:19:51 AM

I predict at least 10 more years for TDMA
March 5, 2005 1:43:05 PM

N9WOS wrote:

> > Short answer? Yes, it's damn likely. The only real question is when.
>
>>Since no wireless carrier is under any statutory obligation to continue
>>TDMA service, I expect AMPS to outlive TDMA. In urban areas, AMPS is a
>>mere skeleton of what it was just two years ago.
>

> TDMA will exist as long as AMPS does.
> TDMA is so interpretable with AMPS that it is
> unlikely for them to end TDMA before amps.

Interoperable or not, I've been told that Cingular has already
eliminated TDMA in some ultra-high traffic areas because they needed the
channels for GSM capacity, and they're maintaining just enough AMPS to
satisfy legal requirements. Also, Cingular isn't growing AMPS nor TDMA
at all anywhere - only GSM. Assuming that to be true, it appears TDMA
has already been phased out in select areas. I have no idea if
Cingular's new blue network changes any of this.

[....]

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:45:45 GMT, Tropical Haven <user@example.net>
wrote:

>For the most part I agree, but however, it could also be a profit issue.
> The basic idea of economics is that resources will flow to thier
>highest valued function, and if GSM users outweigh TDMA users in terms
>of revenue per section of spectrum, it would make sense that TDMA has to
>be dumped for GSM. I do however, figure that TDMA will be alive and
>well until the AMPS sunset date (2007 or 2008?). A lot can happen in
>two to three years (how much GSM did Cingular or AT&T Wireless overlay
>and thier roaming partners overlay from March 2003 to today?) It would
>not be unreasonable that they can wean all users of TDMA in favor of GSM
>by the sunset date.

And you have to ask what is going to happen to all the TDMA prepaid
resellers (CallPlus, Beyond, Tracfone etc.) if cinguATT decides to
pull the plug on TDMA.

March 5, 2005 9:37:22 PM

> Interoperable or not, I've been told that Cingular has already
> eliminated TDMA in some ultra-high traffic areas because they needed the
> channels for GSM capacity, and they're maintaining just enough AMPS to
> satisfy legal requirements. Also, Cingular isn't growing AMPS nor TDMA
> at all anywhere - only GSM. Assuming that to be true, it appears TDMA
> has already been phased out in select areas. I have no idea if
> Cingular's new blue network changes any of this.

Actually, I can verify that Cingular has elinimated some TDMA coverage.
In Western Florida, for example, Cingular did not have enough
bandwidth to run both TDMA and GSM. I think the official switchover
date was 25 June 2004. During the transition, Cingular users were
camped out on the AT&T Wirless network. During June and July, Cingular
was *requiring* customers to get a new GSM handset (not sure if you got
to keep the TDMA one or not). IIRC, you were offered a GSM phone
similar in features to the TDMA phone free of charge, and could upgrade
based on a standard price scale (where your comparable phone was the
base price).

It wouldn't surprise me if other PCS markets had similar situations.

TH
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:57:17 AM

> And you have to ask what is going to happen to all the TDMA prepaid
> resellers (CallPlus, Beyond, Tracfone etc.) if cinguATT decides to
> pull the plug on TDMA.

Just a thought, but maybe there is an agreement for sale of minutes to
the point that they might be able to sell SIM cards and use GSM
infrastructure.

Just a thought.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:59:40 AM

Am I wrong, or have not all the major carriers that still operate a
tdma network, stopped selling tdma phones that don't also do gsm for
months/years now? Therefore the number of tdma users will likely
decline sharply soon. When tdma revenue will not sustain the tdma
network, there is no government mandate to keep it running.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:04:49 AM

There will be almost no working handsets in about five years. Maybe
too few to matter in two years.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:45:24 AM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> I've got an old TDMA plan with a decent price.
>
> If Cingular ever phased out TDMA, I'd think they'd probably switch plans like
> mine over to GSM rather than lose them to other carriers.
>
> But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?

Yes.
March 6, 2005 12:03:26 PM

My Nokias are working fine and are still sold as far as I know. Plus,
what will they do with all that equipment? Unlike most old technology,
we won't be able to pawn this off on the Mexicans because they are GMS
too.
March 6, 2005 1:29:26 PM

On 5 Mar 2005 08:19:51 -0800, "Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote:

>I predict at least 10 more years for TDMA

And you are basing this on???

March 6, 2005 1:29:51 PM

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 00:04:49 GMT, Jerome Zelinske
<jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> There will be almost no working handsets in about five years. Maybe
>too few to matter in two years.

And you base this on???????

March 6, 2005 3:42:43 PM

Well mainlky the fact that AMPS is still alive and kicking and I don't
know anybody with AMPS phones anymore.
March 6, 2005 3:47:05 PM

I doubt you can change plans right now as an ATT customer because
Cingular is not activating any new ATT accounts or plans. I think that,
eventually, they want to shutter ATT and move everybody over to
Cingular but until then, we are stuck in limbo. If you want to change
now, you have to sign a new contract, go through appl;ication and
credit check and pay the activation fees to join Cingular as a new
customer.
March 6, 2005 6:01:59 PM

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> There will be almost no working handsets in about five years. Maybe too
> few to matter in two years.

Based on what? I'm still using the original handset I got in '98 and it
shows no signs of quitting anytime soon. Are newer handsets just build more
poorly?
March 6, 2005 6:02:00 PM

Per JohnF:
>Based on what? I'm still using the original handset I got in '98 and it
>shows no signs of quitting anytime soon.

Maybe it's a use thing. I've toasted 3 Nokias in the past, say, four years.

One legitimately. On one the keyboard is going...you have to hit "0" 2-3 times
to get it to take and the phone turns itself off at random intervals. On the
third, it just turns itself off at random intervals.
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

> Per JohnF:
>>Based on what? I'm still using the original handset I got in '98 and it
>>shows no signs of quitting anytime soon.
>
> Maybe it's a use thing. I've toasted 3 Nokias in the past, say, four
> years.

Must be... Or it may be some conspiracy.

I have considered nonworking phone to be unobtainable.
I have 20+ handheld phones.
Most of them are older than five years old.
I have had them given to me.
I have pulled them out of boxes of trash that was headed for the garbage.
I have gotten them at thrift stores for $2 a piece.
But I have not found ONE example of a nonworking phone.

All of them work perfectly!.

The only repair that I had to do to any of them was one that
I found, that had the power key ripped out of it.
I took a rubber key out of an old remote to replace it.
The old Motorola phone worked fine after that.
Of course the batteries are completely dead in some of the old microtacs
But replacement batteries can be had for a little as $10 for those phones.

The only time I have heard of nonworking
phones is when someone complains about one.
They say their old phone died, and they had to get a new one.

But no mater how much I prod, I can't get them to give me their nonworking
phone.
I can't even get them to bring it with them, so I can see a nonworking phone
in person.
It's like there is a conspiracy to make people think that all the old phone
are dieing,
But non of them actually are.

> and the phone turns itself off at random intervals. On the
> third, it just turns itself off at random intervals.

Have you checked, or tried replacing the batteries on those phones?
That just sounds like a battery problem not a phone problem.
March 6, 2005 10:02:48 PM

Per N9WOS:
>Have you checked, or tried replacing the batteries on those phones?
>That just sounds like a battery problem not a phone problem.

That's my take - sort of. Intermittant contact failure. Seems to happen when
the phone's in my pocket, but not when it's laying on my desk.

But I suspect that in one case, the phone's a player too. The batter doesn't
seat as firmly as in a new phone. Dropped one too many times is my guess.
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

In article <1110141763.474699.304600@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
KevinKitchen@gmail.com says...
> Well mainlky the fact that AMPS is still alive and kicking and I don't
> know anybody with AMPS phones anymore.

Not the same -- there is an FCC requirement that carriers maintain AMPS
until mid-2007 but TDMA in not similarly protected. And there are a few
folks out there still using analog phones - for range and for data/fax
(cellular modems can be used everywhere there is service unlike GSM
"pseudo" modems). The vast majority of On-Star car systems in use are
analog as are lots of unmanned data reporting systems. Much of that will
probably go right up to the sundown date before being changed.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Yes. Cingular is in the proccess of geting rid of TDMA. Florda was the first
state to be converted.
"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in message
> I've got an old TDMA plan with a decent price.
>
> If Cingular ever phased out TDMA, I'd think they'd probably switch plans
> like
> mine over to GSM rather than lose them to other carriers.
>
> But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?
> --
> PeteCresswell
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:01:48 PM

In article <422A52A7.3050704@example.net>,
Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:

> (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> > I've got an old TDMA plan with a decent price.
> >
> > If Cingular ever phased out TDMA, I'd think they'd probably switch plans
> > like
> > mine over to GSM rather than lose them to other carriers.
> >
> > But is there any realistic chance of TDMA ever going away?
>
> Yes.

But not in the forseeable future. It's just a scare tactic used as a
sales tool.
March 7, 2005 5:24:21 PM

To me, that's pretty silly on Cingular's part. They already have me as a
customer and know my payment history. Why alianate me just to change plans.
If I have to go through the same process and pay the same startup fees that
would if I changed carriers then I might as well look around and see if
another carrier has something better to offer. Seems like a petty thing to
risk losing customers.

"Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I doubt you can change plans right now as an ATT customer because
> Cingular is not activating any new ATT accounts or plans. I think that,
> eventually, they want to shutter ATT and move everybody over to
> Cingular but until then, we are stuck in limbo. If you want to change
> now, you have to sign a new contract, go through appl;ication and
> credit check and pay the activation fees to join Cingular as a new
> customer.

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 5:54:06 PM

In article <puZWd.110738$Th1.11345@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"JohnF" <u85721@yahoo.com> wrote:

> To me, that's pretty silly on Cingular's part. They already have me as a
> customer and know my payment history. Why alianate me just to change plans.
> If I have to go through the same process and pay the same startup fees that
> would if I changed carriers then I might as well look around and see if
> another carrier has something better to offer. Seems like a petty thing to
> risk losing customers.

And Cingular is raising prices for shared minute plans while Verizon is
cutting theirs. Go figure.

> "Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I doubt you can change plans right now as an ATT customer because
> > Cingular is not activating any new ATT accounts or plans. I think that,
> > eventually, they want to shutter ATT and move everybody over to
> > Cingular but until then, we are stuck in limbo. If you want to change
> > now, you have to sign a new contract, go through appl;ication and
> > credit check and pay the activation fees to join Cingular as a new
> > customer.

March 7, 2005 6:47:08 PM

"Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I doubt you can change plans right now as an ATT customer because
> Cingular is not activating any new ATT accounts or plans.

If you already have a TDMA plan, you can buy a used phone on eBay and
activate it to replace your current phone. That does not require resigning
a contract or changing plans.

If you can live with your current plan, it is a good option. I received a
great deal from AT&T before the merger, and I am in no hurry to switch up to
GSM. When I AM ready, if Cingular tries to strong-arm me into a more
expensive plan, I will simply bid them "Adios."
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:49:06 AM

JohnF Wrote:
> To me, that's pretty silly on Cingular's part. They already have me as
> customer and know my payment history. Why alianate me just to change
> plans.
> If I have to go through the same process and pay the same startup fees
> that
> would if I changed carriers then I might as well look around and see
> if
> another carrier has something better to offer. Seems like a petty thing
> risk losing customers.
>
> "Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I doubt you can change plans right now as an ATT customer because
> > Cingular is not activating any new ATT accounts or plans. I think
> that,
> > eventually, they want to shutter ATT and move everybody over to
> > Cingular but until then, we are stuck in limbo. If you want to
> change
> > now, you have to sign a new contract, go through appl;ication and
> > credit check and pay the activation fees to join Cingular as a new
> > customer.

If you wish to migrate from AT&T to Cingular, you do not have to go
through a credit check, unless you decide to add an additional line.
The post you were replying to was not completely accurate. You would
be required to sign a new contract, and pay an $18 activation charge.
You wouldn't be paying the same activation charge as a new customer.
New customer's pay a $36 activation charge.

Also Cingular does not know your payment history, AT&T does. You might
have been with AT&T all these years, but you haven't proven yourself to
Cingular yet.

--
scott14661
March 8, 2005 2:14:48 PM

Phones get lost, stolen, upgraded to ones with additional capability,
and last but not least replacement batteries will be hard to get.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:26:29 PM

"scott14661" <scott14661.1lkypz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message news:scott14661.1lkypz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
<snip>
> Also Cingular does not know your payment history, AT&T does.
> You might have been with AT&T all these years, but you haven't
> proven yourself to Cingular yet.

Cingular *owns* AT&T. They should have access to payment histories.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:50:40 PM

In article <IOfXd.4460$cN6.2715@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Phones get lost, stolen, upgraded to ones with additional capability,
> and last but not least replacement batteries will be hard to get.

Heaven forfend manufacturers use standard size batteries.

At least all Motorola Vxxx phones use the same standard battery, and
with millions of the phones sold, low-priced replacement batteries are
easily found, so one doesnt get ripped off by the Manufactutor/Cellular
Carrier for a replacement battery.
March 8, 2005 2:50:41 PM

Per Jack Zwick:
>Heaven forfend manufacturers use standard size batteries.
>
>At least all Motorola Vxxx phones use the same standard battery, and
>with millions of the phones sold, low-priced replacement batteries are
>easily found,

Amen! That's probably the main reason I've stuck with Nokia through a
half-dozen phone replacements. Another, closely-related, is the common charger
interface.

Now, if the digital camera mfrs could only stick to AA cells...
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

In article <scott14661.1lkypz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
scott14661 <scott14661.1lkypz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

> JohnF Wrote:
> > To me, that's pretty silly on Cingular's part. They already have me as
> > customer and know my payment history. Why alianate me just to change
> > plans.
> > If I have to go through the same process and pay the same startup fees
> > that
> > would if I changed carriers then I might as well look around and see
> > if
> > another carrier has something better to offer. Seems like a petty thing
> > risk losing customers.
> >
> > "Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >I doubt you can change plans right now as an ATT customer because
> > > Cingular is not activating any new ATT accounts or plans. I think
> > that,
> > > eventually, they want to shutter ATT and move everybody over to
> > > Cingular but until then, we are stuck in limbo. If you want to
> > change
> > > now, you have to sign a new contract, go through appl;ication and
> > > credit check and pay the activation fees to join Cingular as a new
> > > customer.
> > >

> If you wish to migrate from AT&T to Cingular, you do not have to go
> through a credit check, unless you decide to add an additional line.
> The post you were replying to was not completely accurate. You would
> be required to sign a new contract, and pay an $18 activation charge.
> You wouldn't be paying the same activation charge as a new customer.
> New customer's pay a $36 activation charge.

It's different for Family plans !
March 8, 2005 9:32:41 PM

L David Matheny wrote:

> "scott14661" <scott14661.1lkypz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message news:scott14661.1lkypz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
> <snip>
>
>>Also Cingular does not know your payment history, AT&T does.
>>You might have been with AT&T all these years, but you haven't
>>proven yourself to Cingular yet.
>>

> Cingular *owns* AT&T. They should have access to payment histories.

They do, but that was then and this is now.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'