Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Searching for the perfect case for a DVR System

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2009 6:30:05 PM

I am shopping for and building a DVR Media System with Intel Desktop Board DP55KG Motherboard & Intel Core i7 860 Processor. I want to run a WinTV-HVR-2250 dual tuner. I want to run a Raid 5 with 3 each 750 GB Hard Drives and 8 GB of DDR3 Ram. I am installing a BlueRay Drive. I am open to suggestions for a case which will support the motherboard and the Raid drives. I believe a 1000w power supply should be sufficient. Am I forgetting anything? Your feedback will be most gratefully accepted!

More about : searching perfect case dvr system

September 22, 2009 6:46:34 PM

Is this just for recording TV? If so, you can save a lot of money going with an AM3 build. What is your budget? 1000watt is way too much for this build, also do you need an OS?

m
l
September 22, 2009 6:57:09 PM

I want to be able to record tv and get rid of my DVD collection and record them all onto the hard drives so movies will be available quickly. The motherboard has 7.1 audio so I can hook up a decent sound system for the TV. I did not want to scrimp on the power supply but if you believe 1000 watts is too much, how does 750 watt sound? I am on the fence for the operating system...either Server 2003 or Home Server....I definitely want the RAID support. Forgive my ignorance...but I am not familiar with an AM3 build. Thanks so much for the feedback!
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2009 6:57:26 PM

- Unless you are recording HD TV from an outdooor antenna, this setup is or most likely will shortly be a waste of time. DirecTV boxes won't work with this. Cable TV's analog and clear QAM will work; however, almost all cable companies do not deliver HD material without a set top box. That means you can only record the channel you are watching. If your cable company does not require this today, check what their future plans are. You need a "cable card", and they are not quite ready yet.

- Unless you have other plans, you have no need for a 1000W psu for this kind of system.

- You have not mentioned a video card.

- Pick a case you like the look of on Newegg, give the link, and (if necessary) we'll choose an appropriate case that sort of looks the same.
m
l
September 22, 2009 8:59:53 PM

You are right...I did not include a video card...with such a selection to choose from I am a bit overwhelmed at the selection. If recording live TV (I currently have DirecTV) won't work, I would still really enjoy building a system for my DVD collection and perhaps I can do the DVR from live TV later. How is 750 Watts for the power supply? Your recommendations are greatly appreciated!
m
l
September 22, 2009 9:23:02 PM

For a case, I really liked the original look of this:

nMEDIAPC Red Wood Wood/Steel HTPC 8000 ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
m
l
September 22, 2009 10:04:25 PM

I have used DirecTV for several years - have 4 SD DVRs and 1 HD DVR atm (Waiting a while longer hoping for TIVO HD DVRs to become available to replace the SD units.) If you have older DirecTV units that have channel 3/4 modulators on them, all you can get as output is what you are watching, in standard def, placed on channel 3 or 4.

There are no plans I am aware of to provide (DirecTV) satellite decoder/tuners for PCs. Use their DVRs - cheaper and better performance, no hassles. Well, few lol.

Anyhow, before answering further, I need two things from you:

- What else (if anything) do you plan to do with this PC?

- Pick a case from www.newegg.com. Do not worry about whether it is the "right" case or not. I want to see what "vision" you have in your head. Do you want big, small, vertical, horizontal, thick. thin, black, silver, orange, flashing lights, stark and sleek . . . what?
m
l
September 22, 2009 10:20:15 PM

You would be able to use it as a DVD collection but like twoboxer said recording tv off anything except basic cable channels gets tricky. If you are just going to be running a bunch of hard drives and a mid level processor, i would suggest a Corsair 400CX, a 750 watt PSU wont be running in its efficiency range just powering a few HDDs and will actually end up producing more heat than the components its powering even if it is 80+ certified.
m
l
September 22, 2009 10:31:38 PM

For a case, I really like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If I cannot replace my DirecTV HD DVR's (2) with this system, then it will be a repository of my DVD library. I am ready to go digital...this system is a bit overkill for just a DVD library but at some point I may repurpose it into a gaming machine for when the grandkids come to visit. Thanks!
m
l

Best solution

September 22, 2009 11:45:30 PM

If you like that case, and don't plan on heavy-duty gaming with that strong cpu, then that case will work fine.

You can probably start with onboard graphics if the grandkids are young. To show you what's "required" for your main purpose, no graphics card is needed and these (plus a quality 300W-400W psu) will more than suffice:

ASUS P5N7A-VM LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300/nForce 730i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $119

Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail $84

I don't do AMD configurations, but I'd guess you can do an adequate AMD mobo and cpu for $50 or so less.

If you want to go i860, you need not use more than a $110 mobo plus the 860 cpu, a 400W-500W psu and this video card:

If you want to prepare for "older" grandkids and have a PC that can play more demanding games, all you would need is a better vid card at that time. If so, please tell me the resolution of the screen you intend to use, and I can give you an example in today's tech (new generation of vid cards coming next month or so).
September 22, 2009 11:54:50 PM

My concern with the size of the power supply was the processor, Intel Core i7 860 and the 3-4 750 GB Hard Drives with a BluRay Drive. Your recommendation is appreciated...I had just considered the "bigger is better" method of determining size. Thanks so much for your input.
m
l
September 23, 2009 12:10:43 AM

Such great feedback! Thanks, guys! I'll get back with you tomorrow once I've gone through your suggestions. Thanks again!
m
l
September 23, 2009 8:25:18 PM

Twoboxer said:
If you like that case, and don't plan on heavy-duty gaming with that strong cpu, then that case will work fine.

You can probably start with onboard graphics if the grandkids are young. To show you what's "required" for your main purpose, no graphics card is needed and these (plus a quality 300W-400W psu) will more than suffice:

ASUS P5N7A-VM LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300/nForce 730i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $119

Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail $84

I don't do AMD configurations, but I'd guess you can do an adequate AMD mobo and cpu for $50 or so less.

If you want to go i860, you need not use more than a $110 mobo plus the 860 cpu, a 400W-500W psu and this video card:

If you want to prepare for "older" grandkids and have a PC that can play more demanding games, all you would need is a better vid card at that time. If so, please tell me the resolution of the screen you intend to use, and I can give you an example in today's tech (new generation of vid cards coming next month or so).

m
l
!