Solved

Is my graphics card dying

hi there
i am new to forums but thought id give them a try
i was hoping to find a couple of answers to questions i have about my graphics card
i have an ATI x1650 pro (512mb) which seems the only thing that is crashing my machine when i try to play eve online after about 5 minutes. have tried on both xp and vista with updated drivers
i have done a stress test on the card but it freezes the machine after about 20 minutes
so i was wondering if someone could tell me if it is dying and needs replacing

if the card needs replacing could someone reccomend a mid range card that will play the game etc
my comp specs are as follows

intel pentium duo core 3.2ghz
2.0 gig ram ddr2
pci-e x16
450w power supply
asus p5vd2-mx.se motherboard
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card dying
  1. What temp does the card load at?
  2. If you decide to upgrade, check out the HD 4670.
  3. Best answer
    If you have a friend with a gpu on pcie then check if his card in your pc works. This might not necessarily be gpu problem.
  4. I agree with szymek it also smells like a psu problem.. I second his thoughts.. try a dif card, and if you still have issues, try changing out power supply
  5. maybe your card overheating. i have this card before and i know it can get quite hot.....
  6. hestermofet said:
    What temp does the card load at?

thanks for replying i have tried to find a program to check card temperature but nothing seems to read it
  7. widget said:
    thanks for replying i have tried to find a program to check card temperature but nothing seems to read it

because it doesn't have the capability to do so. i dig a bit about the card and it seems that it does not have any chip / sensor to check the GPU temp
  8. Hard Line said:
    I agree with szymek it also smells like a psu problem.. I second his thoughts.. try a dif card, and if you still have issues, try changing out power supply

is there a program to test psu?
    also today comp froze whilst on screensaver
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics