Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my graphics card dying

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2009 6:47:32 AM

hi there
i am new to forums but thought id give them a try
i was hoping to find a couple of answers to questions i have about my graphics card
i have an ATI x1650 pro (512mb) which seems the only thing that is crashing my machine when i try to play eve online after about 5 minutes. have tried on both xp and vista with updated drivers
i have done a stress test on the card but it freezes the machine after about 20 minutes
so i was wondering if someone could tell me if it is dying and needs replacing

if the card needs replacing could someone reccomend a mid range card that will play the game etc
my comp specs are as follows

intel pentium duo core 3.2ghz
2.0 gig ram ddr2
pci-e x16
450w power supply
asus p5vd2-mx.se motherboard

More about : graphics card dying

October 7, 2009 7:29:22 AM

What temp does the card load at?
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 9:24:12 AM

If you decide to upgrade, check out the HD 4670.
Related resources

Best solution

October 7, 2009 9:53:15 AM

If you have a friend with a gpu on pcie then check if his card in your pc works. This might not necessarily be gpu problem.
October 7, 2009 1:14:02 PM

I agree with szymek it also smells like a psu problem.. I second his thoughts.. try a dif card, and if you still have issues, try changing out power supply
a c 141 U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 1:21:15 PM

maybe your card overheating. i have this card before and i know it can get quite hot.....
October 7, 2009 2:37:53 PM

hestermofet said:
What temp does the card load at?

thanks for replying i have tried to find a program to check card temperature but nothing seems to read it
a c 141 U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 2:42:09 PM

widget said:
thanks for replying i have tried to find a program to check card temperature but nothing seems to read it

because it doesn't have the capability to do so. i dig a bit about the card and it seems that it does not have any chip / sensor to check the GPU temp
October 7, 2009 2:49:31 PM

Hard Line said:
I agree with szymek it also smells like a psu problem.. I second his thoughts.. try a dif card, and if you still have issues, try changing out power supply

is there a program to test psu?
also today comp froze whilst on screensaver
!