Sign in with
Your question

Deleting unretreivable files in hard drive

Last response: in Storage
July 23, 2011 10:45:27 PM

Hi i tried retreiving some files from my portable HD but the program failed and all the files (over 400GB worth) are now clogging up my PC hard drive how can i free up my pc hard drive again?
July 24, 2011 2:57:06 AM

andyrick74 said:
Hi i tried retreiving some files from my portable HD but the program failed and all the files (over 400GB worth) are now clogging up my PC hard drive how can i free up my pc hard drive again?

format it

you can also delete partition, create new one, format ...
a c 82 G Storage
July 24, 2011 3:02:58 AM

ik242 said:
format it

you can also delete partition, create new one, format ...
The OP might have copied files from a portable hard disk to his PC's hard disk. He should permanently delete those files and/or empty the Recycle Bin. Formatting the PC's hard disk probably isn't the optimal solution.
Related resources
July 24, 2011 10:35:24 AM

Where the card recovery programme has stopped due to an error all the files are now in my PC hard drive the recycle bin is empty so how do i permanently delete these files from my PC hard drive to get my disk space back? ( i am a novice on computers lol) have tried defragmenting it and disk clear up but they only cleared up a tiny bit
July 24, 2011 11:47:18 AM

No cant see the files. When you click on start then computer, it then says my drives and before i tried recovering from the portable HD my C drive was saying 450GB free of 473GB but since the card recovery stopped working saying card recovery has experienced an error my C drive now says 10.9Gb free of 473Gb.
I tried the URL above and couldnt see anything but wasnt sure what to look for.
Sorry about this i know im an idiot on PCs lol
a c 82 G Storage
July 24, 2011 12:49:55 PM

You want to configure Explorer to display hidden files and folders. Then you should be able to figure out where the recovery files and folders are. From the C: drive, right click on each folder, click Properties and check how large they are. Hopefully you'll find one that's very large.
July 24, 2011 3:36:52 PM

Sorry about this how do you configure explorer?
July 24, 2011 4:06:54 PM

HI i found the files they were in the program file of the card recovery under tmpfiles.
Thank you to all that helped me i finally got there lol
!