Deleting unretreivable files in hard drive

Hi i tried retreiving some files from my portable HD but the program failed and all the files (over 400GB worth) are now clogging up my PC hard drive how can i free up my pc hard drive again?
8 answers Last reply
More about deleting unretreivable files hard drive
  1. andyrick74 said:
    Hi i tried retreiving some files from my portable HD but the program failed and all the files (over 400GB worth) are now clogging up my PC hard drive how can i free up my pc hard drive again?

format it

you can also delete partition, create new one, format ...
  2. ik242 said:
    format it

you can also delete partition, create new one, format ...
    The OP might have copied files from a portable hard disk to his PC's hard disk. He should permanently delete those files and/or empty the Recycle Bin. Formatting the PC's hard disk probably isn't the optimal solution.
  3. Where the card recovery programme has stopped due to an error all the files are now in my PC hard drive the recycle bin is empty so how do i permanently delete these files from my PC hard drive to get my disk space back? ( i am a novice on computers lol) have tried defragmenting it and disk clear up but they only cleared up a tiny bit
  4. Can you see the files? If so, then highlight them, hold down the shift key and press Delete to permanently delete them.

If you don't see them, then you should read http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html
  5. No cant see the files. When you click on start then computer, it then says my drives and before i tried recovering from the portable HD my C drive was saying 450GB free of 473GB but since the card recovery stopped working saying card recovery has experienced an error my C drive now says 10.9Gb free of 473Gb.
    I tried the URL above and couldnt see anything but wasnt sure what to look for.
    Sorry about this i know im an idiot on PCs lol
  6. You want to configure Explorer to display hidden files and folders. Then you should be able to figure out where the recovery files and folders are. From the C: drive, right click on each folder, click Properties and check how large they are. Hopefully you'll find one that's very large.
  7. Sorry about this how do you configure explorer?
  8. HI i found the files they were in the program file of the card recovery under tmpfiles.
    Thank you to all that helped me i finally got there lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives HD Storage