8 pin cpu connector and 4pin cpu socket

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I'm sorry if this is a repost, but I was unable to find anything on the forum about my particular problem. My motherboard is going out in my PC. I have a friend who (through a long story) has an extra brand new in box motherboard. My PSU has an 8 pin cpu connector, but the new mobo has a 4pin socket. I have not tried it yet, but I really don't want to burn anything up. Anyone know if this will work ok, or should I try to find a more compatible option?

Thanks!

frozendarkness

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
IMO, you need to find a four pin socket that is compatible with your power supply. an 8 pin and a 4 pin provide the same power, ubt if I'm not mistaken, the 8 pin splits it in half so you can urn more power and have it be more reliable. Extreme overclockers might burn out if all that voltage is cranked through only four pins.

Anyway, if you plug four out of the 8 pins, you're only getting 1/2 the voltage you're supposed to. that's even worse.

Frozendarkness comments are a little off base.
"Anyway, if you plug four out of the 8 pins, you're only getting 1/2 the voltage you're s1upposed to. that's even worse. "

WILL NOT CHANGE VOLTAGE (sorry for the Caps). The current capabilities will be reduced, but not voltage. 8 pins are required for CPU power => approx 130 watts. As long as your CPU power is < 125 watts the 4 pin connection is Fine. He is right - look to see if the 8 pin connector plug will "snap" in half - a lot of them do.

E6600 TDP is only 65 Watts

The Thermaltake PP 600 in your sig is supposed to have both an 8 pin and 4 pin cpu connector.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

You are absolutely correct. Sorry for not checking on that before posting. Thanks for doing my research for me :D