Which graphics card to use....?

sukheshmg

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Hi

I am quite new to hardware aspects of computer. Recently i built a new one and the configuration is as below:

Processor: Intel Quad Core Q9550 (2.83 GHz 1.3 GHz FSB)
MoBo: DP45SG
Memory: 2GB DDR3 (Not sure about the speed)
HDD: 500 GB SATA

I am not a regular gamer and use the comp mostly for watching movies and rarely for gaming. I use it quite often for programming as well.

I am using a 22" monitor at resolution of 1680X1050.

Earlier I have worked on some machines which had no additional graphics cards. (MoBo: Intel 845 or something of that kind). I had no idea that the DP45SG doesnt have onboard graphics support. So I didn't worry much about the graphics card. But I came to know of the fact at the last moment and in a hurry i bought a GeForce 8400 (512 MB) Graphics card.

Now the system hangs when i try to watch any movie. It works well for some time. But after an hour or so it hangs.

I think that the graphics card is heating up and not performing as expected.

I have done all necessary driver updates (MoBo Drivers, Graphics card Drivers).

Please suggest me on what i may try next.

Thanks in advance

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
8400 is enough for movies, even though it's terrible for gaming. Well, no gaming on that gpu, I'd say. If you know anyone that has a pcie gpu then borrow it for a few hours and check if it works. Hope it's just that gpu failure.

sukheshmg

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009

Thanks for the fast reply. But as I said the GPU works fine for some time and then crashes. Is it possible that it is wrongly configured....?

sukheshmg

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009

OS is Win XP Pro. But I am not sure about the PSU. As I said I am quite new to hardware aspects. Does PSU has anything to do with it.....? Pardon me If I am silly....