XFX Radeon HD 5670 installed: now crashing

Hi, guys. :)

I'm building my first rig and have just installed an XFX Radeon HD 5670. My PC's specs follow:

Motherboard: ASRock N68C-S UCC
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
PSU: Antec TP-550 (550W)
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5670 (1GB GDDR5)
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (SP1)

Unfortunately, my machine is now crashing. Whenever I try to run games, I usually load in successfully but before long, my screen displays all one colour/pattern.

The card seems to be properly seated properly although, not having installed one before, I could be wrong!

I have updated the "AMD VISION Engine Control Center" so I assume all necessary drivers are installed. Could Windows' autoinstalled drivers be interfering? Also, my monitor is connected via VGA-DVI adaptor: could this be the source of/contributing to the problem?

Many thanks for your patience.
14 answers Last reply
More about radeon 5670 installed crashing
  1. Remove the current gpu drivers in add/remove
    Install the latest CCC suite as Admin.
    Let us know what happens.
  2. I have uninstalled and reinstalled as you suggested but the problem persists.
  3. Download http://www.memtest.org/
    Test your ram one stick at a time.
    Beginning to sound like a faulty gpu though.
  4. Thanks for your help! Which version should I download? The "Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary"?
  5. dragonoa said:
    Thanks for your help! Which version should I download? The "Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary"?

    I just use the ISO for disc or the USB version.
  6. I've run memtest for one pass and have found no errors.
  7. dragonoa said:
    I've run memtest for one pass and have found no errors.

    I'd run it for at least 30min.
  8. I continued to run it for about two hours (three passes) and found no errors.
  9. Are there any further troubleshooting steps I can take or is it reasonable to assume card is faulty?
  10. dragonoa said:
    Are there any further troubleshooting steps I can take or is it reasonable to assume card is faulty?

    I suspect the card may be faulty,try another gpu if you can borrow one.
    That would be conclusive if another gpu works.
    Have you tried another video signal cable?
  11. My old 7300 GT works fine. Unfortunately, I don't have another monitor or cable to test with.
  12. dragonoa said:
    My old 7300 GT works fine. Unfortunately, I don't have another monitor or cable to test with.

    Faulty card bud!
    Time to RMA that gpu!
  13. I RMA'd the card as suggested: turns out it was faulty. Got a replacement installed last night and it works great! Thanks very much for the help.
  14. dragonoa said:
    I RMA'd the card as suggested: turns out it was faulty. Got a replacement installed last night and it works great! Thanks very much for the help.

    Np! glad you are up and gaming:)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Radeon Overclocking