Need a Cheap, Wireless Network Card, for Gaming.

anishinaabeg

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I've a build topic going on that you can see here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/280324-13-1000-canadian-gaming

Basically I want a cheap card I can buy that will allow me to receive the signal from my router. As good as I can get while not going too far over the $1000+ limit I put on the full build.

I was told to come here to ask about this specifically.

I'm trying to get a connection that is good for gaming, I've good download and upload speed (as tested with this laptop), the only thing that concerns me is if the latency will be bad. Someone suggested you might notice a 10% loss when it comes to latency using wireless, in the other thread.

I want to try a wireless solution first, as if I use a wire it has to run through a hallway where people will have to walk over it. It will likely get stepped on, and/or damaged by cats.

If this doesn't work well enough I'll see if I can use a wire later.

Thanks for reading.

anishinaabeg

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I might as well add this, I was thinking of upgrading my router too. My current one is about 7 years old. Probably one of the first ones that had good wireless functionality.

I don't know how well it works for games overall, using the wireless function. One person told me it probably doesn't have gaming optimization built into it. If you can find a good router for the purpose of gaming, that would be helpful. Don't include the price into that of the build though, I'll probably get it later if I need to. Cheap yet effective is all I need. There will probably be at least 3 computers hooked up to the network. Feel free to list whichever routers you'd recommend, at a full range from cheapest to most expensive, as long as there is a reason for the expense.

Also you don't have to be too stingy with the wireless network card I asked about in the first post. Show me the least expensive one that you'd buy that's good, then you can work your way up from there if there is ones that are much better in some way.

TRENDING THREADS