ATi putting huge pressure in Nvidia

smoggy12345

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
With mainstream products coming out from ATi/Amd, Nvidia's products may be come obslete, or force HUGE pricecuts? ...

This is a huge assault from AMD/ATi. read below:

------------------------------------------------

Radeon 5770 comes October 13th
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Wednesday, 07 October 2009 12:38

128-bit memory interface and a good price

We learned that next Tuesday, October 13th, ATI plans to release its cheaper version of the recently launched Evergreen card, simply branded as Radeon HD 5770. The HD 5750 with a bit looser spec is also coming.

The biggest downside of this product is the 128-bit memory interface and the spec should include GPUs clocked at 700MHz to 825MHz and 1GB of DDR5 memory.

Overall these cards look like real trouble for Nvidia, as according to many sources Nvidia's Fermi architecture wont come to mainstream before some point in 2010 and ATI will definitely have a better lead time and good products to fight.

Nvidia should rule high end and performance with several versions of its single chip GT300, Fermi but at the same time, but it looks that ATI might launch all GPUs in its DirectX 11 portfolio before the end of this year. Good job red boys.

Also read

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I hope it wont last long, up to 1Q, because Nvidia will be losing in EVERY single market and bleed cash, hard. We need at least several healthy competitors, so its nice for AMD to get some cake, but I would hate for Nvidia to roll over.

Yes he could have just linked it but plenty do what has been done here and as the date and writer have been pasted as well i don't see the issue ?

Mactronix (edit for spelling)

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
First , Intel/Nvidia will never be put under any pressure by ATI/AMD. Heres why, because the products made by INTEL/NVIDIA are simply superior and American ...

Hopefully you are fishing.

If you are not fishing, Darwinian selection should mean we do not have to put up with similar tripe for long.

Grammatically inept. Factually even worse. You get a brownie point for spelling some of the words correctly.

Please people, a 128-bit interface will kill any modern GPU; I doubt the card would reach 4870 levels if true...

AS for NVIDIA, roumers are circulating that its new architecture will scale down better, while would essentially eliminate ATI's long held advantage. And right now, smart money is Dec-Jan, as opposed to Mar-Apr

jennyh

Splendid
The 5770 has more bandwidth than the 4850, and nobody complains about its performance.

Two of these in crossfire are going to be scary fast at an amazing price. My only doubt is how well they will run eyefinity but for single screen gaming up to 1920x1200 they will be more than good enough.

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Things could get very interesting very quickly....I'm not holding my breath that nvidia scales Fermi well to the mid and low end

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I want to see the jaws dropping when the GTX 385 and 395 is released and the test results are posted. There will be ATI 5800's all over Ebay. Do a search and find the Wiki on the "Nvidia 300 series"....it will shed some light on what is coming.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Sure ati is putting great pressure on nvidia but nvidia has lots of money to keep a float for some time. Ati survived with the disastrous hd 2000 series. Nvidia will take back crown in my opinion since they have time and know what there competitor products are capable of. But as nvidia is known there going to charge an arm and a leg (hopefully not). The new 5850/5870 is tempting to buy but theres no real games taking advantage of the powerful cards. My gtx 260 sli is still holding up on most games at max settings.

I think hardware innovation should slow down and rather see better efficient software.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
speaking of rebuying graphics cards I think it is legit to buy every two generations just to keep up to date and you should see a signific improvements. ATI does have the upperhand being first to the market, cashing in; How big of a dent this could be how long it takes NVIDIA to come with the gt300's series. playing the your hand after your opponent definitly has its advantages.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
CUDA is nice and all but it seems as though it is slashing at the gaming capacity; trading off but we will see. there focus seems to be more for cuda then it is for gaming. I'm sure they will be able to adjust this when scalling down but just makes me wounder

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Yeah... good luck with that...

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
The answer is here people.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/14

Going Single HD 5770 is like going HD 4870. for a fair 180CAD.

Now if you wait holidays and buy another one for less
You plainly kill a HD 5850. And you will have 6 monitor support ready anytime.
+ a dual Ati Stream system For AROUND the same price as if you got a single HD 5850.
Not bad. Yes Ati Just raped the mid range market.
Nvidia is losing the GPU market. But the question is, do they even care??
The GTX 300 will be aimed at Corporations. EVERY corporation out there will be upgrading from there 100 i7 databases, to 100 FERMI Gpu, because FERMI is 8x faster then any CPU. Nvidia will rule the corporation market because big compagnies like microsoft will instantly upgrade by buying a heckload of FERMI's.
So I think nvidia doesnt even care about the gaming GPU world right now. They will make far more money with the corporations.

Well, that is their theory anyway. But it will not be that simple I fear. We have to see the real world performance numbers before deciding, and they no doubt will vary depending on application. Beyond that, there is other vaporware coming out eventually to compete with it, which may delay its adoption (if ever). And beyond that,not all corporations need or can afford the upgrade if everything works fine now.

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
True, I say the whole FERMI thingy will be a flop. The technology in this GPU will make it non affordable for Gamers like us. On nvidia website, its available under product/ High performance computing. Its NOT EVEN in the geforce section. It is already planned that this GPU will not be gamer/mainstream oriented and will fairly cost around the 1k$. Now if everything works fine, big compagnies like Microsoft/AMD/Intel and some governments will probably adopt this technology, giving it a good start.
But if its not worth the upgrade, then Nvidia is running straight to a flop.