Swiftech Drive pump is LOUD, any sugestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Im currently using swiftech drive, wich I upgraded from a zalman reserator 1. Altough the zalman reserator was TOTALLY silent, I neeed a more compact solutuion to allow a better mobility of the case.

The swiftech pump is insanelly loud. I have complete silent fans, so If I can get a nice pump, Im gonna be really glad.

Any solutuions?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

Friend, I will upload a picture and a video later today.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Loud pump + continually running loud pump without finding out the cause of said loud pump = very bad for pump.

If your car's engine was making a horrific knocking and banging noise, you should immediately shut your car off. Your water loop's water pump should be given the same consideration.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Ok, thhis may or may not be the problem...I conected the power cable (yellow and black), but did not conected the blue cable, wich apparently goes into the motherboard. According to the manual, its a monitoring cable, its optional and is not needed to be conected in order for the product to work correctly.

Where do I conect this cable to exactly? Ill give it a shot.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Videos to better show the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9oA8OJq7E4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b6AUtXbe5Y

In both videos, ALL case fans are OFF, I've no mobo fan, therefore the only thing spinning are HDDs, PSU and 9800 GT fan.

In video 1, the Swiftech watercooler is OFF. The PC makes a considerable startup noise, but quickly goes into silent operation

In video 2, I turn on the swiftech pump. And it clearly makes some very waterfall like noises (ironic huh?)

I would also like to point that in both cases, the swiftech fans are OFF as well, so the only extra noise in video 2 comes from the pump.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah, PWM, so it must be a MCP35x pump. If you run the yellow/black only, it will run 100% speed, which is fine. If you want PWM, you'll need to run that plug to your CPU fan header.

As boiler (and I) mentioned, it's likely an air bubble near your pump inlet.

You never answered- how is the rad mounted? This would be of great help to know. (Edit- seeing your videos now) It's hard to tell how loud the noise is...

Yep- you have a decent amount of air in there. Stop the pump, add more water, and restart it. (are you jumpering the PSU?)

What you are hearing is your pump chopping thousands of air bubbles...

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

I will tomorrow try conecting the header, its 3 am now and Im falling asleep...I believe that if the pump is not at 100%, the noise may be reduced....Ill reply again in a few hours

you can check the videos for a better understanding.

Either way, lets say its an Air bubble, how do I remove it???

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
PWM isn't going to fix the air bubble. You'll need to dislodge it and purge the air out of the res. Is the pump at the top or the bottom of the rad? It looks like the top is the res portion, which would mean the pump is at the bottom. You must have a decent bubble in there.

Shaking and tilting the rad while the pump is on should help move it around, but you'll need to add more water incrementally when you shut down the pump to help purge the air.

Are you jumpering your 24 pin ATX plug so you aren't running your PC while doing all this?

You just have to get the air out of the loop entirely. That usually means filling, sealing, and then tilting/flipping the case upside down, and restarting the process.

It can be easier if the loop is not connected to things and you can physically move the air bubble into the reservoir.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The hard part is moving the rad so the air gets dislodged and pushed out, but the pump doesn't start sucking more air as a result. This pump should be pushing a lot of flow, so if you can keep topping off the water levels and tilting everything (even if doing when the loop is off) you can start getting the air out.

This is a lot easier to do if you are jumpering your ATX plug from your PSU. (I'm hinting a lot here...)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I dont understand this, english is not my first language, and Im a simple PC user. Can you please explain?

Disconnect the ATX connector from the motherboard. Use a wire or paperclip to connect green to any black wire- there should be green/black next to one another which might be simplest. Then, simply use the toggle switch on the back of your power supply to turn power on/off. If your power supply does not have this, you could use a power strip with a toggle switch to plug into instead. This keeps your motherboard and PC from booting, but kicking on the power supply to run your pump.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No. You want the pump moving water through the loop, otherwise it won't cool the components and they will overheat.

I'll make this clear- this is not usual pump noise. What you have is air in your loop- you have a noticeable churning and gurgling noise. Please understand that we know what we are talking about. These pumps should operate very, very quietly with barely an audible hum. You need to address the air in the loop and this will eliminate the noise. The noise in the video is about normal, maybe slightly louder than normal- but normal nonetheless. If this is loud to you, you have exceptional hearing as this is less audible than low speed fans.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I think the sounds your video has and the ones from the review video are very different. It seems clear that the noise your pump is making is very much due to air in the loop...so try to get that sorted out.

You mentioned not speaking English as your first language- no problem. Where are you from?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I am brasilian, but I actually speak perfect english, I just cant understand a word I never heard/seen before, and I could not figure out "jumpering your atx plug", as a matter of fact I still have no idea what you were talking about.

Nevertheless, Im ok with turning my PC on, as its not my main machine. As matter of fact, Im trying to install XP on it, without sucess, I even recently created a thread for it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I wouldn't run it for long periods of time like that, but for a few hours or overnight you are fine. This is the best way to easily power on stuff like your pump, etc without the rest of the PC booting up. Just disconnect the ATX plug and jumper the correct wires- green to any black wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.