Sign in with
Your question

Received message computer was shut down to protect it and suggested checking bio

Last response: in Overclocking
December 19, 2011 8:00:04 PM

Upon starting computer received a microsoft message saying it was shut down to prevent damage and advised reference to bios, overclocking, and drivers. I can access bios but what do I check? Email is [removed]
December 19, 2011 9:01:59 PM

Since you don't know where to look in the bios I am going to assume you have not overclocked or done anything to your computer other then turn it on and use it.

Does this happen every time you start your computer or has it just happened once after your machine crashed. If your machine crashes sometimes when it boots up again it will display this kind of message.

If you can't get past this screen then something is probably broken and you need to go to a computer repair shop.

If it happens occasionally I would guess that your machine is overheating. Make sure you do not have your machine tucked inside of a cabinet or some other kind of box. The vents on it need to be able to exhaust air freely to the rest of the room. Additionally check that the fans are actually spinning. You may need to clean lint out of the fans as well.

A bit more details on what is happening would be helpful. Now if you have overclocked your machine (or if someone has done it for you) this could actually be an issue that is causing it to fail and you may need to reduce the speed (again only if it has been overclocked)
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 10:31:02 PM

DEY123 said:
Since you don't know where to look in the bios I am going to assume you have not overclocked or done anything to your computer other then turn it on and use it.

Does this happen every time you start your computer or has it just happened once after your machine crashed. If your machine crashes sometimes when it boots up again it will display this kind of message.

If you can't get past this screen then something is probably broken and you need to go to a computer repair shop.

If it happens occasionally I would guess that your machine is overheating. Make sure you do not have your machine tucked inside of a cabinet or some other kind of box. The vents on it need to be able to exhaust air freely to the rest of the room. Additionally check that the fans are actually spinning. You may need to clean lint out of the fans as well.

A bit more details on what is happening would be helpful. Now if you have overclocked your machine (or if someone has done it for you) this could actually be an issue that is causing it to fail and you may need to reduce the speed (again only if it has been overclocked)

i began getting problems like this when my primary 688gb drive was getting down to 100gb free, how much space is left on your hardrive?

fyi after a fresh windows install its working just fine blue screen free
Related resources
December 19, 2011 11:23:36 PM

I have less then 100GB. free space should only be an issue if you get down to less then 10GB I believe (or where you don't have enough space for virtual memory and then like. Sounds good though if your system is no longer giving you errors
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 11:43:09 PM

DEY123 said:
I have less then 100GB. free space should only be an issue if you get down to less then 10GB I believe (or where you don't have enough space for virtual memory and then like. Sounds good though if your system is no longer giving you errors

yeah, i was just bringing that up because even when most of that hardrive was emptied we were still getting blue screens on a regular basis so i thought it may have somthing to do with his problem
a b À AMD
a c 182 K Overclocking
December 21, 2011 6:07:02 PM

gail c said:
Upon starting computer received a microsoft message saying it was shut down to prevent damage and advised reference to bios, overclocking, and drivers. I can access bios but what do I check? Email is [removed]

Hi gail c Welcome to Tom's Hardware!
Please don't include your e-mail address on a public forum board for safety sake.
Your best course of action for your problem is to reset/clear your bios/cmos.
Power surges and spikes can effect/change your bios settings.
Plugging your pc into a power bar/surge suppressor is highly recommended.
To reset your bios you'll have to open your case.
Unplug the power cord and depress the case power button before you put your hands in the case.
Touch a steel part of the chassis or your power supply with one hand = this will ground you,so you don't pass an electrical charge to components.
Remove the cmos battery(looks like a coin)for about 5min.
Replace the battery and restart your pc.
I don't know if your motherboard has a cmos button or jumper pins for resets.
If the procedure i've described doesn't provide a satisfactory end result please repost and provide additional info about your specfic pc like make and model etc.
Good luck!
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 21, 2011 6:18:25 PM

Edited to remove user's email address.

a b À AMD
a c 182 K Overclocking
December 21, 2011 8:51:23 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Edited to remove user's email address.

You're a good man rubix_1011!
!