Your question

Infinite Boot Loop - I read the sticky, been lurking etc

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Boot
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2009 2:19:08 AM

Riddle me this Batman! :hello:  Which part is the one not working?

The parts:

Intel Core i7-920, stock cooler
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboatd (X58 chipset)
3 x 2 Gb Corsait DDR3 1333 MHz (Only 1 stick installed atm)
Antec True Power 750 Blue PS (750 Watt)
PNY GeForce 9400 GT Grafix (512 Mb) (Yea, poor, I know. I'm just using it to get the system started)

The history:

I got the build to POST and boot into Puppy Linux from CD! I then started to install Windows Xp and the PC froze (like for hours!) so I shut down. When I went to install again, the PC went into the infinite boot loop, attempting to reboot after a few seconds and failing to POST.

What I did:

Reset the CMOS. No luck no POST. Infinite boot loop!
RMA'ed the Gigabyte board. They returned the same s/n board. No luck no POST. Infinite boot loop!
Got another i7-920! No luck no POST. Infinite boot loop!
(BTW: I also removed the hard drive on which Xp was being installed. Just trying to boot off CD)

I have the system breadboarded out of the case for access. I get no speaker beeps.

The only other curious fact: If I unplug the 8-pin 12V connector, I don't get an infinite boot loop, but I don't get a post, speaker beeps, or video either. It just sits there, the fan a whirring.

One other curious fact: At one time, I booted without a CPU. I got the infinite boot loop with no CPU!. (I did check mobo pins before installing, but will check again if recommended).

So, my hunch is bad mobo, even though it was RMA'ed. An even worse fear is that the bad mobo is killing my i7-920s! Blaming the PS sounds convenient, but... it all worked before...

I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thank you all in advance. I'll share results with the community when I have some.

-G

More about : infinite boot loop read sticky lurking

September 23, 2009 3:24:11 AM

Sounds like the same thing I'm fighting. Does it turn on and spin up the fans for about 3 seconds, then shut off, and repeat without ever posting?
September 23, 2009 5:16:10 AM

Do you have another system you can try the PSU in? Might as well rule it out as a suspect if you can.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 23, 2009 9:05:35 AM

Galfridus said:
I got the build to POST and boot into Puppy Linux from CD! I then started to install Windows Xp and the PC froze (like for hours!) so I shut down. When I went to install again, the PC went into the infinite boot loop, attempting to reboot after a few seconds and failing to POST.

So what you did was boot into Linux, and then try install Windows XP... What version of XP and which Service Pack? Did the install freeze halfway and then you were forced to shut down? And do you have SPDIF? The answers to these questions will influence whether I can help or not :p  It sounds like the problem I had and then I managed to fix it.
September 23, 2009 11:25:45 AM

Ace_437 said:
Sounds like the same thing I'm fighting. Does it turn on and spin up the fans for about 3 seconds, then shut off, and repeat without ever posting?

Yes Ace, that's exactly what it's doing. Some forums point to a corrupt bios on gigabyte mobos. Since I RMA'ed the board, I surmise Gigabyte checked all this out and returned it as OK.
September 23, 2009 11:28:33 AM

FallenSniper said:
Do you have another system you can try the PSU in? Might as well rule it out as a suspect if you can.

Good point Fallen. I will be getting another mobo/cpu soon just so the rest of the fam can check e-mail, etc while I work this one. That's several days awy though.

I did have an older PSU, although that one had a 4-pin 12 Vdc rather than an 8-pin. When I used that one, I got the same infinite boot loop.
September 23, 2009 11:35:02 AM

Vixe said:
So what you did was boot into Linux, and then try install Windows XP... What version of XP and which Service Pack? Did the install freeze halfway and then you were forced to shut down? And do you have SPDIF? The answers to these questions will influence whether I can help or not :p  It sounds like the problem I had and then I managed to fix it.

I used a boot CD for Puppy Linux and it worked fine, booted directly from CD so nothing went to the hard disk.

It was XP Professional, the XP I got with a previous system, so iirc it had no service packs on the CD. Yes, the XP installation froze, and ..."here my troubles began" :pt1cable: 

Yes, the mobo does have spdif.
September 24, 2009 6:02:21 AM

Sounds like a mobo problem to me. The same thing happens to my Gigabyte if I mess up the voltages... I just take out the CMOS battery and then start it up, let it go for like 5-10 seconds, turn it off. Put the battery back in. turn on and go.
September 24, 2009 4:57:03 PM

Take the SPDIF cable out and then try again. Believe it or not, when I installed my SPDIF cable I couldn't post at all. Strange. I don't know why :/ 

If it's not that, then I think the problem lies with either the motherboard, CPU or RAM.

If that's not the problem try the following: take your RAM out. If you try boot and the speaker doesn't make a sound, then your motherboard is broken. If it does make a sound (a repeated beeping sound), only put one of the RAM sticks back in. Try boot. If it still doesn't POST, take out the RAM stick and put a different one in. Repeat with the 3rd stick.

Lastly, if that doesn't work, try boot into Linux again. If it works, I don't know what's wrong :p 

P.S. If you do manage to fix it, please tell me how. I'm pretty curious to see what's wrong.
October 20, 2009 1:50:15 AM

Well, the answer is in. I know someone who was able to swap out power supplies, video cards, hdd and cd drives. By just swapping parts, he narrowed it down to either the mobo or the i7 cpu. Since I was on my second cpu, I had to conclude it was the mobo. I got a 2nd mobo (an ASUS P6T) and sure enough, it posted on the first try.

I can only conclude that I was a victim of a double malfunction: the first was a case of infant mortality of the Gigabyte motherboard, seeing as how it did POST and suddenly died after 20 or 30 minutes while trying to install Windows XP. The second malfunction is a catastrophic FAIL on the part of Gigabyte customer service to detect the failure and replace the board when I RMA'ed it to them!

I can believe they don't do exhaustive testing on RMA'ed hardware, but how they could have missed the totally non-functional nature of the board I RMA'ed them is beyond me. I can only conclude they didn't really test it, indeed, hey must have just returned it to me as is!

Needless to say, Gigabyte is on the *** list for life and it will be a very cold day in hell before I buy another one of their products again seeing as how their customer service can't be trusted. :fou: 

Anyway, I'd like to thank everybody for all the advice and tips. This certainly will make me a better system builder. Next project, a HTPC.....

Thanks again!

- G :hello: 
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2009 2:13:29 AM

I sent in a mobo to gigabyte to RMA, cause it wasn't doing anything anymore. They flashed the BIOS as obviously part of some kind of SOP and then sent it back. I called to ask what was wrong with it, they told me nothing had been wrong with it. Thing is it worked after I got it back and they told me that they didn't do anything to it. Not sure what goes on after they get our stuff...
!