Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Write Times Were Great 2 Days Ago, Now They Suck

Last response: in Storage
July 25, 2011 1:20:34 AM

Upgraded from a 40gb Intel X25-V to a Kingston V+100 96gb.

So when I got my new Kingston SSD and put a fresh install of Windows 7 on it, I benchmarked it. Was very pleased with the results. Then after I made sure everything was stable and backed up, I created a system image of my Intel X25-V SSD and then restored it onto the Kingston. Everything transferred perfectly, no problems at all, my system on the new Kingston SSD is every bit as completely stable as it was on the Intel SSD. So I benchmarked my Kingston after the transfer and the read times stayed the same - actually improved a little - but the write times took a terrible nosedive.

Fresh install on the left, after the OS transfer from my old SSD on the right.

How do I get my write speeds back up to what they were before?

Thanks,
Ethan
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
July 25, 2011 2:31:57 AM

Did the same thing for my SB notebook - Imaged the Intel G2 (SataII) SSD and installed that image onto a new Sata III M4 SSD. Wasn't quite right so I downloaded the news Intel RST driver (ver 10.6) and reinstalled.
It's possible the RST driver is setup for the Intel SSD and reinstalling the driver forces it to update to the new SSD - Not sure , but worth a try.

Also run AS-SSD, don't need to benchmark, just open and look at the driver, should be iastor and check partition alignment should be OK.
m
l
July 25, 2011 3:18:58 AM

I need to install Intel drivers for a Kingston drive? How do I do that - manually update the drivers for the ATA/ATAPI controller?

Also how do I check partition alignment and driver with AS-SSD?

Sorry for the newb questions, still got lots to learn. Thanks for your help though!

Also here's the AS-SSD screenshot

m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 25, 2011 10:59:32 AM

the drive is just depleted of all fresh blocks. A fresh install, a reimage, and a transfer test can easily wipe out the fresh block reserve on that midsized drive.

Not familar with Kingston's tools but unless they have some type of manual trim tool?.. you would need to either logoff idle the machine to allow garbage collection to clean up the mess. A secure erase will reset the controller to fresh as well and then you can reimage it again. Good Luck
m
l
July 25, 2011 4:52:31 PM

thanks guys, appreciate the help. will try suggestions and post back the results...
m
l
July 25, 2011 11:38:37 PM

welllllll, i had my suspicions about using an intel driver for a kingston SSD and turns out I was right to be doubtful - using the iastor driver completely locked me out of windows and had to do a system restore to get back in.

no worries, all is fine now. I will try letting Kingston's garbage collection do its job, and if that doesn't work i'll try the secure erase (which I assume means writing all 1 or 0's to the disk) and reimage approach.

thanks again guys,
Ethan
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
July 26, 2011 2:51:14 PM

What controller do you have the SSD pluged into, Intel or 3rd party??
If Intel then should have worked. On My last installation (Using Intel Controller) I installed using the default msahci. After installation loaded Intel's RST - No problem, rebooted and came up fine.

If your SSD is on a "Marvel" controller, yes you can not use the Intel RST for it.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 27, 2011 4:17:17 PM

secure erasing the drive is done with only a few utilities but would NOT be the same as just overwriting data to the drive like you would a HDD. The ATA secure erase command needs to be properly passed to the controller for it to completely reset itself back to factory fresh speeds.

Although some controllers have excellent TRIM recovery and garbage collection which do respond fairly well to data overwrites(need to use 11's though as 00's will just dirty it more due to being HDD type data. As Cleaner(free space cleaner) has the option to write 11's(ff option needs to be checked). Nothing quite like a secure erase to reset it all to fresh though. Good luck with it
m
l
July 29, 2011 8:42:59 PM

Sorry for the late reply, had a project go out for code review this week.

Anywho, thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Now I wonder: How do I determine the controller? My mobo is an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO.

If I can't use Intel drivers, guess my only alternative is to either do the As cleaner thing.

So does As cleaner overwrite the ENTIRE drive, or just the free space? I didn't see anything in the UI that indicated one way or another...
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 29, 2011 9:18:46 PM

AS Cleaner is also called free space cleaner too. So yes.. only free space is cleared. Just be sure to check the necessary "ff" option and allow some logged off idle time(I used to do an overnighter immediately afterwards). Don't make the mistake of benchmarking immediately afterwards as not all controllers will immediately return those cleared blocks back into the fresh reserve pool. That's where GC comes into play.

And that's a AMD 890 chipset(SB850).. so Intel drivers wouldn't apply there. Get the latest OROM, sata drivers and even check out raidxpert since it can help to tweak more speed even from single drives with its NCQ and write caching options.
August 5, 2011 3:22:17 AM

okay guys here's the results:

So basically after running AS cleaner and letting the garbage collection do its thing for a week, its performing much better now. Still not as good at sequential writing, but actually a slight improvement in small random reads, which is where it counts so no complaints here.

Also, I decided to run AS cleaner on my Intel SSD just to see what it could do. It didn't help much with getting my read times back to its original performance, but it got all my write times BETTER than brand new, in fact it took my random 4k write times from 14.4MB/s to 41MB/s!

Thanks again for the help.

m
l
August 5, 2011 3:22:45 AM

Best answer selected by below20hz.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 5, 2011 4:06:25 PM

good for you. Now just try and avoid random data benchmarks like the one's shown above and allow an ocassional logoff idle based on the amount of data written.

Write lightly for 3 days and then go heavy in one particular session? Logoff idle the machine after the heavier session while maintaining power(no S3 sleeps and be sure to never power the drive down in W7's power options) and low activity(logoff will achieve this) to the SSD. That's when GC will clean things up a bit. Good Luck with it
m
l
!