Sign in with
Your question

ATI 5800 series review with AMD Phenom II?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 3:42:47 PM

Just wondering why there are no reviews covering the performance of the Ati 5800 series cards with a Phenom II used for the CPU. I know that the I7 should be a better suited CPU for testing these cards, but there are alot of people using the Phenom II chips, and it would be pretty interesting to see how much of a bottle neck they actually would present while gaming. Single and crossfire results.

Right now I am running an AM3 x3 710 at 3.45ghz, and I'm trying to decide if I should get the 5850/5870. I also have the ASUS M3A32-MVP(quad crossfire capable MOBO) 790fx. So eventually I will be looking to crossfire 2 of the cards in question. Basically I don't want to waste money if there will be a huge CPU bottleneck. If there will be a big bottleneck, I may wait to get the second card, and just get a 6-core PH II after christmas. Any one got a link to such a review? I dont care about synthetic benchmarks, I want to see game benchmarks. Perferably comparing results with I7 vs. Phenom II at the same clockspeeds, with and without crossfire with the 5850, and the 5870.

PS: I play on my 32" LCD TV at 1920x1080. If that helps at all. lol
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 6:27:31 PM

Generally reviews just use the faster processor that is currently available when testing new products. They don't want to risk a bottleneck because they want the test to solely show the results of the graphics card.

It's pretty rare for the CPU to bottleneck a system during games though, especially at that resolution. I would be extremely surprised to see any substantial bottleneck from that CPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2009 12:47:49 AM

Well even if they could test at 2560x1600 with lots of AA, it should put alot more stress on the GPU's I would think. Then we would see how much of a difference there would be. Not everyone has I7's. There are sure to be alot of AM3/775 users out there that would very much like to see what would happen. I for one had noticed that the higher the resolution the closer both the I7 and Phenom II become. I still think it would be very interesting.
m
l
!