This Just In

I've just seen this message on another newsgroup I read. I have no idea
whether it works or not - I'd be interested to know if anyone tries it.
Thanks to Debralou of SimFiles:

"I discovered that Maxis made it easy to run your sims2 or university
without the cd. If you look in the respective folders there is a
support folder that has a file named The Sims 2_Code or The Sims 2
University_Code depending on which parent folder you're looking in.
If you click on that you can type in your registration code on the
back of the jewel case and it will save it to the computer. After
that you don't have to have the disks in the drive. Cool eh? :) "

Best wishes
maxon
18 answers Last reply
More about this

    >I've just seen this message on another newsgroup I read. I have no idea
    >whether it works or not - I'd be interested to know if anyone tries it.
    >Thanks to Debralou of SimFiles:

    >"I discovered that Maxis made it easy to run your sims2 or university
    >without the cd. If you look in the respective folders there is a
    >support folder that has a file named The Sims 2_Code or The Sims 2
    >University_Code depending on which parent folder you're looking in.
    >If you click on that you can type in your registration code on the
    >back of the jewel case and it will save it to the computer. After
    >that you don't have to have the disks in the drive. Cool eh? :) "

    Hmm anyone tried this? Sounds suspicious to me. The game has stronger
    then normal CD protection so seems unlikely there be a so simple back
    door the hackers haven't found.

    "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >I've just seen this message on another newsgroup I read. I have no idea
    >>whether it works or not - I'd be interested to know if anyone tries it.
    >>Thanks to Debralou of SimFiles:
    >
    >>"I discovered that Maxis made it easy to run your sims2 or university
    >>without the cd. If you look in the respective folders there is a
    >>support folder that has a file named The Sims 2_Code or The Sims 2
    >>University_Code depending on which parent folder you're looking in.
    >>If you click on that you can type in your registration code on the
    >>back of the jewel case and it will save it to the computer. After
    >>that you don't have to have the disks in the drive. Cool eh? :) "
    >
    > Hmm anyone tried this? Sounds suspicious to me. The game has stronger
    > then normal CD protection so seems unlikely there be a so simple back
    > door the hackers haven't found.

    I just tried it - putting in both Sims2 and University registration numbers
    within each game and it didn't work for me.

    Skeats

    Fizziwig2 wrote:

    >"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
    >

    >>>I've just seen this message on another newsgroup I read. I have no idea
    >>>whether it works or not - I'd be interested to know if anyone tries it.
    >>>Thanks to Debralou of SimFiles:
    >>>

    >>>"I discovered that Maxis made it easy to run your sims2 or university
    >>>without the cd. If you look in the respective folders there is a
    >>>support folder that has a file named The Sims 2_Code or The Sims 2
    >>>University_Code depending on which parent folder you're looking in.
    >>>If you click on that you can type in your registration code on the
    >>>back of the jewel case and it will save it to the computer. After
    >>>that you don't have to have the disks in the drive. Cool eh? :) "
    >>>

    >>Hmm anyone tried this? Sounds suspicious to me. The game has stronger
    >>then normal CD protection so seems unlikely there be a so simple back
    >>door the hackers haven't found.
    >>

    >I just tried it - putting in both Sims2 and University registration numbers
    >within each game and it didn't work for me.
    >
    >Skeats

    Nope, didn't work for me neither, maybe Maxis should think about doing
    this for real, it would be great!!.

    ---Sandra

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:05:52 GMT, Sanantone
    <shys10512INJECTIFIED@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > Nope, didn't work for me neither, maybe Maxis should think about doing
    >this for real, it would be great!!.

    I don't understand why the MOST SELLING AND SUPERBLY GROSSING GAME IN
    THE WORLD IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER needs that much copy protection
    anyway lol
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

    > On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:05:52 GMT, Sanantone
    > <shys10512INJECTIFIED@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Nope, didn't work for me neither, maybe Maxis should think about doing
    >>this for real, it would be great!!.
    >
    > I don't understand why the MOST SELLING AND SUPERBLY GROSSING GAME IN
    > THE WORLD IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER needs that much copy protection
    > anyway lol
    > --

    I re-registered anyway as I had reinstalled both games. I cannot see why
    they can't send an individual unlock key when you register, sending it by
    email instead of the hint or cheat.
    If someone can work out how to keep those registration entry boxes from
    blanking again each time you access them we might be on to something.

    Skeats

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:05:52 GMT, Sanantone
    ><shys10512INJECTIFIED@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Nope, didn't work for me neither, maybe Maxis should think about doing
    >>this for real, it would be great!!.
    >>

    >I don't understand why the MOST SELLING AND SUPERBLY GROSSING GAME IN
    >THE WORLD IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER needs that much copy protection
    >anyway lol
    >--
    >

    >Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    >your neighbourhood could be next!

    True, it's not as if anyone would want to rip it off now is it,
    I still think they should let us have something so we don't have to use
    the cd at ALL.:--)

    ---Sandra

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:22:17 GMT, Sanantone
    <shys10512INJECTIFIED@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > True, it's not as if anyone would want to rip it off now is it,
    >I still think they should let us have something so we don't have to use
    >the cd at ALL.:--)

    Where there's a will there's a way. It's perfectly possible to play
    without paying, by downloading the images and mounting a mini-image
    file.

    So the only ppl who end up getting bothered are legitimate
    customers...
    --

    > On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:22:17 GMT, Sanantone
    > <shys10512INJECTIFIED@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> True, it's not as if anyone would want to rip it off now is it,
    >>I still think they should let us have something so we don't have to
    >>use
    >>the cd at ALL.:--)
    >
    > Where there's a will there's a way. It's perfectly possible to play
    > without paying, by downloading the images and mounting a mini-image
    > file.
    >
    > So the only ppl who end up getting bothered are legitimate
    > customers...
    > --
    >

    > Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    > your neighbourhood could be next!

    Yeah, it's like locking your doors at home. Real burglars and thieves
    know how to unlock doors, the locks are for keeping honest people out.
    LOL

    deene

    "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net> wrote in message

    > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:22:17 GMT, Sanantone
    >> <shys10512INJECTIFIED@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>> True, it's not as if anyone would want to rip it off now is it,
    >>>I still think they should let us have something so we don't have to use
    >>>the cd at ALL.:--)
    >>
    >> Where there's a will there's a way. It's perfectly possible to play
    >> without paying, by downloading the images and mounting a mini-image
    >> file.
    >>
    >> So the only ppl who end up getting bothered are legitimate
    >> customers...
    >> --
    >>

    >> Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    >> your neighbourhood could be next!
    >
    > Yeah, it's like locking your doors at home. Real burglars and thieves know
    > how to unlock doors, the locks are for keeping honest people out. LOL
    >
    > deene
    Too true, isn't that horrible...

    Rhiannon

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:14:32 -0500, "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net>
    wrote:

    >Yeah, it's like locking your doors at home. Real burglars and thieves
    >know how to unlock doors, the locks are for keeping honest people out.
    >LOL

    LOL good analogy :-)
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

    [deletia]

    i'm not sure if i agree with that - there are a number of people in an
    apartment building i used to live in who were not hardened criminals but
    who, if a door was unlocked, felt that it was fair game - they'd walk
    out with whatever they could carry (in the next door's case, it was a
    leather sofa.)

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:01:58 -0400, Lerren <anaximander@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >i'm not sure if i agree with that - there are a number of people in an
    >apartment building i used to live in who were not hardened criminals but
    >who, if a door was unlocked, felt that it was fair game - they'd walk
    >out with whatever they could carry (in the next door's case, it was a
    >leather sofa.)

    Here I have to look my door because of demented old people hehe
    --

    > On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:01:58 -0400, Lerren <anaximander@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>i'm not sure if i agree with that - there are a number of people in an
    >>apartment building i used to live in who were not hardened criminals but
    >>who, if a door was unlocked, felt that it was fair game - they'd walk
    >>out with whatever they could carry (in the next door's case, it was a
    >>leather sofa.)
    >
    > Here I have to look my door because of demented old people hehe
    > --

    If my leather sofa is anything to go by they will have to look for very
    strong men. It took two strapping lads of well over 6ft to carry my leather
    sofa in when first delivered. They looked exhausted even though my flat is
    on the ground floor. I now cannot move it around without help!

    Skeats

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:38:05 GMT, "Fizziwig2"
    <atthebackofthenorthwind@kingdomcom.co.uk> wrote:

    >If my leather sofa is anything to go by they will have to look for very
    >strong men. It took two strapping lads of well over 6ft to carry my leather
    >sofa in when first delivered. They looked exhausted even though my flat is
    >on the ground floor. I now cannot move it around without help!

    I'm 6'5" 300lbs, my dad's 6'3" 270lbs, my grandfather is 6'2"
    260lbs... I kickbox for fun, my dad was a bodybuilder, and my grandpa
    loaded 100kg bags of grain *manually on his back* into ships for a
    living... give us a ring LOL

    Moving furniture should be like in the sims :-)
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

    > Moving furniture should be like in the sims :-)

    Yeah, but can you place things at 45 degree angles? :o)

    > On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:38:05 GMT, "Fizziwig2"
    > <atthebackofthenorthwind@kingdomcom.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>If my leather sofa is anything to go by they will have to look for very
    >>strong men. It took two strapping lads of well over 6ft to carry my
    >>leather
    >>sofa in when first delivered. They looked exhausted even though my flat
    >>is
    >>on the ground floor. I now cannot move it around without help!
    >
    > I'm 6'5" 300lbs, my dad's 6'3" 270lbs, my grandfather is 6'2"
    > 260lbs... I kickbox for fun, my dad was a bodybuilder, and my grandpa
    > loaded 100kg bags of grain *manually on his back* into ships for a
    > living... give us a ring LOL
    >
    > Moving furniture should be like in the sims :-)
    > --

    You're hired.
    Got it just where I want it at present though thanks! You might regret it.
    It's one of those Italian, heavy, metal based ones, the ends of which let
    down to make a daybed. It would make a suitable sims object, I think.

    I felt sorry for the lads though as these sofas are delivered in large loose
    padded bags to protect them and the sofa kept slipping inside them.

    If the Sims was like real life they would have removal men, furniture
    removal vans and you could take all your furniture to your new house and
    making cups of tea would boost all your job and social skills!
    (Just thought of this because a couple of my favourite neighbours have moved
    out this morning and they gave me a lovely box of chocolates and a bottle of
    white wine).

    Skeats

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:22:55 -0400, "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    >Yeah, but can you place things at 45 degree angles? :o)

    RealLife 1.0 rocks! You can place furniture at ANY angle!
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:26:39 GMT, "Fizziwig2"
    <atthebackofthenorthwind@kingdomcom.co.uk> wrote:

    >If the Sims was like real life they would have removal men, furniture
    >removal vans and you could take all your furniture to your new house and
    >making cups of tea would boost all your job and social skills!

    Yeah, this new inventory thing in Nightlife is cool, and you can put
    anything there including cars..... but how annoying is it gonna be to
    move all the stuff from a house? I'm thinking I'll just take the
    expensive items.
    --

    Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
    your neighbourhood could be next!

Sims Video Games