Sign in with
Your question

Can't Boot WIN7 with Intell x25 SSD

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 25, 2011 2:01:56 AM

I hope I am placing this in the correct forum. Been searching the internet all day for an answer and haven't really found one. Many results referenced Tom's Hardware so thought I would join and ask my specific questions.

I Have a Gigabyte 1366 socket board with an Intel x25 160GB SSD. Both about 15 months old. Been working great. Also have two 2 TB RAID 1 drives for data storage. Also working great.

System has been rebooting for "mostly unknown" reason the past couple of weeks. The last few days the system has been locked up when I attempt to use it, but have been able to reboot and system wakes up.

Today it flat died.

I have tried most of the tips I could find and nothing works.

BIOS sees the drive.
I can boot from my WIN7 DVD and get to the restore functions, all of which I have tried. It "sees" the win7 INSTALLATION although it sees it on a E: drive not the C: drive. I can get to the command prompt and I can "see" the contents of the drive, so it is working after a fashion, but I cannot boot at all.

I have tried all the MBR rebuild instructions (bootrec.exe) and nothing seems to work.

I noted there was not BOOT folder not a BOOTMGR folder, so tried to copy those to no success. Then I read somewhere later that SSD's do not require those folders.

I am very confused and very concerned I have lost everything.

Because I can still "see" the contents of the drive. I get get stuff off it and record all the software I have installed so I can rebuild if necessary, but would really like to just get it working again.

Any wisdom someone could share??

More about : boot win7 intell x25 ssd

a c 353 G Storage
July 25, 2011 2:49:31 AM

Download the Intel toolbox and check for errors and do an erase.
The Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox (Intel SSD Toolbox) provides the following functional capabilities:
- Accessing Intel SSD management features (Intel® SSD Optimizer, System
Configuration Tuner and Secure Erase)
- Reporting the drive identification data for Intel SSDs, as well as other drives.
- Accessing the Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART)
attributes for Intel SSDs, as well as other drives.
- Checking the SMART thresholds and viewing recommended actions for Intel
SSDs, as well as other drives.
- Running diagnostic scans on Intel SSDs to check for any READ or WRITE
errors
end quote

Once you get the SSD sorted out - find out what is the problem with the computer - rebooting while writing to a drive is rough on drives.
m
l
July 25, 2011 1:00:54 PM

does that toolbox run outside windows? If I can't get to windows, how will I rum the toolbox. I will go to Intel's website and see what I can do.

erase? Will that erase the drive, thus losing all the data? Hoping to avoid that, but if I can't, I can't.

The rest of the computer seems to be fine, but that is an uneducated assumption. Other than MS updates, I have done no firmware or bios type updates, etc.

Unless there have been unusual situations, I have not intentionally rebooted while writing to the drive.

Thank you for your suggestions!

RetiredChief said:
Download the Intel toolbox and check for errors and do an erase.
The Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox (Intel SSD Toolbox) provides the following functional capabilities:
- Accessing Intel SSD management features (Intel® SSD Optimizer, System
Configuration Tuner and Secure Erase)
- Reporting the drive identification data for Intel SSDs, as well as other drives.
- Accessing the Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART)
attributes for Intel SSDs, as well as other drives.
- Checking the SMART thresholds and viewing recommended actions for Intel
SSDs, as well as other drives.
- Running diagnostic scans on Intel SSDs to check for any READ or WRITE
errors
end quote

Once you get the SSD sorted out - find out what is the problem with the computer - rebooting while writing to a drive is rough on drives.

m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 25, 2011 1:56:25 PM

The intel Toolbox is used from within windows. Could not find a "use toolbox from a bootable CD.
http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/intel_s...
also see
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/14/intel-solid-state-driv...

All of my suggestions would distroy all data on the SSD, as they involve deleting ALL partitions on the drive - sorry.

(1) Boot from the Win 7 Installation disk and select custom install. On page where it ask you where to install, delete ALL partitions including the tiny 100 mb partition. Now select the "unpartitioned drive" to install to. This should repartition the drive into (a) the 100 Mb system and (b) the remainder of the drive for instalation of the Operating system.
NOTE: if this still does not let you install: Repeat to point of deleting all partitions, Exit without creating any patitions and go to (2)

(2) Above does not work.
.... Install on a 2nd system that has a operating windows 7 OS, And a spare INTEL Sata connection. Boot and run intel Tool box from there. Do the secure erease.
... No 2nd system (and no buddy's system). Need to create a bootable win 7 installation on a HDD and procede.

** My comment on rebooting, is Windows problem induced, was not impling that you would do this.
m
l
!