Sign in with
Your question

Safe temperatures and enough time running prime95?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 20, 2011 1:40:11 AM

Hey guys. For someone that's just gonna be web browsing, doing some light compiling, and some heavy gaming, how long should I run my stress the cpu with prime95?

Specs:
CPU: FX-4100
RAM: 6GB 1600 DDR3
GPU: EVGA GTX460 1GB (OC @ 800/1600/1900)
MOBO: Asus M5A97 EVO
Cooling: Hyper PLus 212 (just installed today!)

Right now I've disabled turbo mode in BIOS and I upped the speed to 3.9GHz (200*19.5). It's been running for a exactly and hour and 1 minute, no errors, and the max temperature I have gotten is 55C. Is it safe to bump it to 4.0GHz ( 200*20.0) and run it another hour or so? And what temperature is considered safe?

Useful screenshot: http://i44.tinypic.com/a584l5.png

Oh and is there any program I can get to manually increase fan speed? SpeedFan is too complicated for me...
Thanks guys.
December 20, 2011 2:30:03 AM

Just attempted @ 4.0GHz and got blue screen...that sucks! I've read people get 4.6 GHz on stock everything just by upping the multiplier. What gives?
m
l
December 20, 2011 3:41:22 AM

Why is your baseclock 200? Is that normal for that AMD chip? I don't know if that has anything to do with your difficulty reaching 4GHz, and I know next to nothing about AMD chips or compatible motherboards, but you probably want to check your core voltage, maybe that somehow got decreased too much for the overclocks you are attempting; 4.0 shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Edit: From your screenshot it sure looks like the core voltage is high enough to hit 4.0GHz, or at least that would be overkill to push my i5 to 4.0; do the Bulldozer chips require a lot more power or something?
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2011 3:46:53 AM

ebalong said:
Why is your baseclock 200? Is that normal for that AMD chip? I don't know if that has anything to do with your difficulty reaching 4GHz, and I know next to nothing about AMD chips or compatible motherboards, but you probably want to check your core voltage, maybe that somehow got decreased too much for the overclocks you are attempting; 4.0 shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Edit: From your screenshot it sure looks like the core voltage is high enough to hit 4.0GHz, or at least that would be overkill to push my i5 to 4.0; do the Bulldozer chips require a lot more power or something?

Not that I know off...and it runs just fine @ 3.9GHz. I'm gonna try 4.0 again and see what happens.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 3:50:57 AM

you need to check your RAM frequencies and voltage. AMD has whats called IMC (internal memory controller) which means that when you adjust your multiplier your also adjusting your RAM. What is your stock voltage on your RAM? I would increase your RAM voltage and re-attempt 4.0GHz.
m
l
December 20, 2011 12:49:24 PM

CPUZ says my ram voltage is 1.5 I'm not sure how to raise the voltage. Last night, I got a BSOD @ 3.9GHz when booting...even though I had just stress tested it with prime95 at that speed. I don't know what to do!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2011 1:55:15 AM

stryk3r1215 said:
CPUZ says my ram voltage is 1.5 I'm not sure how to raise the voltage. Last night, I got a BSOD @ 3.9GHz when booting...even though I had just stress tested it with prime95 at that speed. I don't know what to do!

your RAM frequency adjustment is just below where you adjust your CPU voltage. Its probably set to "auto". Just look for "DRAM Frequency" and "DRAM Voltage" I would suggest setting your RAM as close to 1600MHz as your can (give or take a 80Mhz in either direction) and set your RAM voltage somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.65v. Your going to need to play around with those number until you get it stable.
m
l
!