Strange restart after OC

PcCustomer

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hi guys ; I need a little help here

the configuration is e2160 ; 4gb (2x2) DDR2 @667 ; Seagate 500gb ; 1 x PCI (TV recorder) ; 1 DVDROM and 1 DVDRW ; mobo is an Asus P5GC ; PSU CM 350W (temp)

Already heard this could be pushed to 2.7 Ghz or even more on stock voltage ; but at that time ; I could not get it ; if not tweak the PCI-e bus to over 100 .Since some folks said that's bad for the system ; I leave it's 100 and could not go anywhere :(

Now I already have a better new rig ; I think I will try go far a bit on the old one . After push the PCI-e to 120 ; it can now stable at 2.6 GHz :( ; but act a bit weird . When it restart ; the rig gone dark for few seconds ; then turn on normally . Like you power off it then turn it on immediately . Is this bad ? Except this ; the rig is quite stable and cool . Voltage is auto .

Any helps will be appreciated

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
The restart is to reset everything and is completely normal. The second you try to adjust the FSB speeds, ratios or multipliers and such the PC has to shut down completely to restart with the new values. If it won't boot up at all though (black screen stays there for more than ~15 seconds) you may have entered incorrect settings and the OC won't be stable at all, meaning you'll have to CLR CMOS and restart :)

PcCustomer

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
thanks for your assist ; Toxxyc :D
But is it completely normal while it shut down a short time each restart ? Never experienced it before ; so I wanna ask to be sure :(

Since I remember a thing learned when I had my first rig ; that do not turn on your PC immediately after shut it down ; wait at least 30 secs . Harm the HDD ; I guess . Did a test ; and win98 did run checkdisk after my quick on-off :lol: Good old time :D

Since Googling did have some results ; smth useful for me (just in case some ppl need it) :
-The malfuntion level for PCI-E is about 120 MHz (130 if you are lucky ); my case all HDD ; ODD is gone missing .Or can't write data to HDD .Extreme carefully if you have RAID 0 setup . Actually read some guys hit 145-150 ; which is unbelievable O_O

-It do help stable CPU at higher clock ; but doesn't benefit graphics much .And if you have a discrete one ; 115 seems to be the limit . Ppl lost their graphic card mostly leave the PCI-e freq from 120-130

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Your first rig was probably used a while ago. The reason you had to wait 30 seconds was to give the HDD headers time to return to their original position to not possibly damage the headers or gear drive of the mechanical parts inside the HDD. Today's HDD's are a lot more robust though, so that's pretty much fallen away.

I'm not quite sure I understand your problem now. Does the rig wait a few seconds with every restart (even a normal Windows restart) or only when applying a new overclock?

When applying an overclock it is completely normal. Depending on your power supply, it may happen when you do a normal restart as well. Ultimately it's not something you need to worry about. I see you list a CM 350W PSU, which means it's probably an older generic PSU. Overclocking on it (depending on your GPU, if you have one) can have dire effects on the poor thing. Since it's still keeping up though, I guess it's fine. Keep an eye on heat levels from the rear though, if it gets too hot you shouldn't press your luck too far.

PcCustomer

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
to Toxxyc : to make it clear (my bad) after my e2160 hit 2.4 ghz ; the rig power down a few secs every restart :(

Seems weird to me ; because the heat ; the voltage is fine (on heavy load the temp under 65 celcius ; vcore is about 1.3) . I know my psu is not a good one ; but it is not as bad as it sound . I read the review (on HWsecs) ; it has good voltage regulation ; true power ; the cons is low efficiency (70%) . My rig peak out at about 290w (after OC ; based on some PSU calculator website) ; so I think it is bearable :??:

So I can't figure out why ? :??:

OT : yes ; my first rig must be 10 years ago . Pentium MMX 233Mhz ; 64Mb ram ; Quantum HDD :) I was still a kid :D

TRENDING THREADS