Sign in with
Your question

North Q 850W Black Magic... Good PSU ???

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Corsair
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 11, 2009 12:51:57 PM

:hello: 

I'm considering the North Q 850W Black Magic PSU, But i'm not sure if NorthQ is a quality brand. Has anyone ever used one before or currently using a NorthQ PSU? If so how do you rate it, any good?

Here's a link to it http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/850W-NorthQ-Black-Magic-...

I'm on a pretty tight budget so please don't tell me "get a Corsair 850HX" because I just can't afford it.

I'd really appreciate some help ;) 

More about : north 850w black magic good psu

a c 144 ) Power supply
December 11, 2009 1:03:34 PM

I looked for reviews but I couldn't find any.

If you are on a tight budget, how about skipping the modular cables?

And system specifications of the proposed system? Maybe you do not need an 850 watt PSU.
December 11, 2009 1:42:25 PM

Ok I'll give you a run down of the future rig:
Core i7 920 @ 4ghz + (with HT)
Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD5
6x1GB OCZ DDR3 1333mhz 7-7-7-21
Any brand HD5850 Plan to add another in 6 months.
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Sammy Spinpoint F3 500GB
2 x 12V laing DDC1+ Ultra 18w watercooling pumps
6 x 120mm Fans
2 x 140mm Fans
NorthQ 850W black magic PSU

I'd really like to keep the modular cables, I like a clean looking build and if theres no good reason not to get the NorthQ, then I'll go for it.
Related resources
December 11, 2009 1:43:39 PM

Oh yeah missed out an optical drive, probably a cheap DVD ROM Drive
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 11, 2009 3:30:35 PM

Never heard of the brand and can't find a competent technical review.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power an overclocked system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.
December 11, 2009 5:17:45 PM

Maybe a Corsair 750w HX PSU would be enough, im not sure though, as i will be overclocking the core i7 920 and 2 HD5850's heavily.

I've found a review of the NorthQ PSU
Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

It seems to be pretty good and almost all of the time more than 80% efficiency. But the fan is apparently pretty loud, which is a concern as I want a PC thats under 25DB

It managed 60amps pretty easily so should handle my future hardware.

Thanks for your info JohnnyLucky. Much appreciated.
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 11, 2009 6:17:28 PM

Don't know how I missed that review. jonnyguru.com is the first place I look for technical reviews.

It is a very good psu and can easily power your system. You'll be okay with it.
December 11, 2009 7:40:35 PM

Ok I'll go for it then : ) Might replace that fan though :p 

Cheers for you help guys
!