What could I do with an old CPU?

I'm upgrading my CPU soon, from an Athlon X2 6000 to a Phenom II X4 940, so what can I do with the old CPU? I could theoretically put it in my server but I'd like to keep that as low-energy as possible really, and I don't have any spare AM2 rigs missing a CPU!

Thanks.
26 answers Last reply
More about what
  1. Stating the obvious, Ebay. I'm actually upgrading my CPU too. I'll be going from a D950 to a Q9400 or Q9550. I'll probably drop the D950 into my old 945 MOBO (swapped for a P5N-D) and either sell as a barebones, of buy a fan/GPU and use it for an Xmas gift. You could do something similar. Actually, I have seen AM2 boards for $50. You might use it for a network storage or data backup PC. Maybe even a docking station or an HTPC.
  2. I gave my old PentiumD to a friend. Just as a pressie to stop her moaning about her P4. Got a reward...of sorts...but that's another story...
  3. azconnie said:
    Stating the obvious, Ebay. I'm actually upgrading my CPU too. I'll be going from a D950 to a Q9400 or Q9550. I'll probably drop the D950 into my old 945 MOBO (swapped for a P5N-D) and either sell as a barebones, of buy a fan/GPU and use it for an Xmas gift. You could do something similar. Actually, I have seen AM2 boards for $50. You might use it for a network storage or data backup PC. Maybe even a docking station or an HTPC.


    Well I'd have to sell it or get rid of it somehow - I've got the NAS sorted (my server acts as NAS + Apache + Print + Music server and more :pt1cable:).

    Maybe I'll leave it on the shelf and see what happens to it :) Or overclock it until it breaks :lol:

    I might look into selling it on ebay actually. Although I doubt the sort of people that build their own systems would want my CPU.
  4. srynznfyra said:
    Well I'd have to sell it or get rid of it somehow - I've got the NAS sorted (my server acts as NAS + Apache + Print + Music server and more :pt1cable:).

    Maybe I'll leave it on the shelf and see what happens to it :) Or overclock it until it breaks :lol:

    I might look into selling it on ebay actually. Although I doubt the sort of people that build their own systems would want my CPU.



    Overclock until it stats smoking, then drill a hole in one corner, glue some beads to it, and wear it as jewlry. :D
  5. Underclock and undervolt it and use it as a media server.
  6. i have my old amd 4400 hanging from my rear view mirror
  7. You could give it to me post it to sa149ew llanelli wales coz i have a poop sempron LE-1300 2300mhz or i could buy it off you
  8. mi1ez said:
    I gave my old PentiumD to a friend. Just as a pressie to stop her moaning about her P4. Got a reward...of sorts...but that's another story...



    Hmmm..., so technically you did not pay cash, therefore it's not considered illegal? :non: :non:
  9. I wil buy it off you if you want we could make arrange ments
  10. obsidian86 said:
    i have my old amd 4400 hanging from my rear view mirror



    I just figured out what to do with my E4500 when i get my i7 920...
  11. i want to buy it please
  12. Can I please but that athlon if its a am2,am2+ or am3 please b.coz i have a sempron LE-1300
  13. mi1ez said:
    I gave my old PentiumD to a friend. Just as a pressie to stop her moaning about her P4. Got a reward...of sorts...but that's another story...

    Sounds like a research paper I wrote for a "friend" once...
  14. is it am2,2+ am3
  15. I like to take old cpus(the ones with pins)and stomp them into My freinds foreheads
    Makes great body art.and its loads of fun.
  16. i see you have the worlds ugliest dog photo touche sir.
  17. and i have a dog experiment photo.
  18. OK, thanks for all the cool suggestions guys! And sorry I've not been able to reply for more than a few days!

    To walshy155: I'd like to sell it but I don't have a debit/credit card as I'm under 18 (13), so yeah...If I was to sell it on ebay I'd probably have to use my dad's ebay account or something.
  19. srynznfyra said:
    OK, thanks for all the cool suggestions guys! And sorry I've not been able to reply for more than a few days!

    To walshy155: I'd like to sell it but I don't have a debit/credit card as I'm under 18 (13), so yeah...If I was to sell it on ebay I'd probably have to use my dad's ebay account or something.


    You could practice your over clocking skills on that cpu.

    Better to do stuff like that on something old than on something new. ;)
  20. HEY SYFRENZA IM 13 TOO IF YOU DO PUT IT ON EBAY EMAIL ME MY EMAIL IS brendzboy@hotmail.co.uk
  21. my mother has a account and i will buy it if the price is right.

    Thank you
  22. srynznfyra

    Do YOU HAVE BEBO or similar
  23. does any1 have socket a board i can buy
  24. Look kid, you have been banned numerous times. GO AWAY!!!
  25. huh i havent been banned
  26. That was my brother matthew hes a div
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom Product