RAM - 4GIG (2X2GIG) PATRIOT-VIPER 1066 [$90]
HD - SEAGATE SATA 500GIG [$62]
CASE - ANTEC 300 [$94]
PSU - ANTEX BASIQ 550W [$101]

OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

CURRENT MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Looking at building a new gaming PC, as my current machine is 5 years old.

I realise my current monitor will not get the maximum out of the above GPU, that's fine, i will probably upgrade the monitor to a 22" soon enough.

Anyone know of a better looking (case), suitable and similar priced case/psu combo?

Would it be better if i downgrade the CPU in order to upgrade the GPU to a 1Gig 4890 and stay around $AU800?

Any general feedback/suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Short

^ Yes for a gaming PC, it is better to invest more on the graphics front rather than the CPU...
And the X2 550 is a very good gaming CPU...

And for the price that you are spending, better go with AM3/ DDR3...

CPU - X2 550 - AUD 133
Mobo - G-B MA770T-UD3P/ Asus M4A77TD-PRO - ~AUD 125
RAM - 4G Kit DDR3 1600 Patriot-Signature - AUD 99

And certainly change the PSU - Antec EarthWatts 500W - AUD 103
CASE - I dont think you would get a better quality case with that good airflow in other cases in that price range...

And buy the graphics card at the last...by that time, the newer cards from ATI would be widely available and it might push the prices of other components down...

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
LOL @ that site msy.com.au, it looks so rubbish and created by a 12 year old in 30 mins, looks like a big scam

^theres no need for a 4890, you said you will upgrade monitor to 22", which is usually 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 in some cases, 4870 1gb should be fine.

There is a Lian li case that is pretty nice...

Called the Lancool PC-K58 and you can find it here:
http://www.itestate.com.au/pages/product/pdt_homepage.faces;jsessionid=7F76A1D35FCC37075E5C6A57B6C98CFC#

Hard to say which case is better, both are good.

They do need to work on their web presence :)

They are a major dealer in parts in Australia though. They have been on my parts list since day one and I have never heard a complaint from the folks down under.

TheShortResort

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Thanks heaps for the replies folks. Very much appreciated.

Re: msy.com - Yeah the website isn't the best, but iv'e never heard a complaint. I guess when i'm gonna get a reasonably kick ass gaming PC (compared to what i have now), for up to 30% less than i would anywhere else, and be able to pick the parts up on the spot and not have to worry bout possibly waiting months for parts, wouldn't care if their website looked like a piece of old toilet paper. :D

P.S - If any MSY folks are listening... You better give me a discount now. :sol:

~Short~

randomizer

Champion
If you want to be able to view a website with a half-assed attempt at web design, you could try http://msy.arpatubes.net/ It scrapes all of the products and prices from MSY and puts it into a readable (!), and sortable web site.

EDIT: Oh, and it's probably NSFW because of the comments section at the bottom.