Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question Regarding Generic Power Supply Issue...

Last response: in Components
Share
December 11, 2009 2:17:59 PM

Hi Guys, I have a question regardin my brother's crappy PC which
died recently. Below are the specs.

Pentium 4 HT 2.8GHz Socke 478
Intel 865GLC Motherboard
4 x 256mb DDR400
160GB Seagate Hard Drive
BFG Geforce 7300GT 512mb AGP
--------------------------- :bounce: 
And a Crappy Isonic 350watt PSU :pfff: 
--------------------------------
Anyway the reason I think it died was because of a faulty PSU.
It still switched on for like a minute for me to check the PC
Health Status.

I noticed that the 3.3v Rail was reading as 4.2v! :ouch:  That can't be
right??? Anyway, I don't really care about most of the parts...
They're probably stuffed. But I just want to know...
What are the odds that the 7300GT was Killed in the Process???

I should have looked at the earlier signs. PC freezing up with
Psychadelic Colours showing on the screen etc.

But at that time, I just couldn't bring myself to care.

Anyway... bottom line is. I gave the board, CPU & Ram
to someone who believed he could use parts from it.

And I've just sold the 7300GT for $46!
(I just pray I didn't sell someone a stuffed card.) :whistle: 

Please send me your opinions back. Thanks. :wahoo: 
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 11, 2009 3:27:06 PM

Did you bother to test the video card in another system?
December 12, 2009 7:02:41 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
Did you bother to test the video card in another system?


No, I don't have any AGP motherboards left!

I told the guy I sold it to yesterday that If he had any problems he could just bring it back and I haven't heard anything thus far.
Related resources
December 17, 2009 12:31:06 PM

MAy be us PSU cant handle that!
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 17, 2009 1:48:47 PM

Totempole said:

I noticed that the 3.3v Rail was reading as 4.2v! :ouch:  That can't be
right??? Anyway, I don't really care about most of the parts...
They're probably stuffed. But I just want to know...
What are the odds that the 7300GT was Killed in the Process???

Like JohnnyLucky suggested, you could have tested it in another system to be sure it worked.

My guess, though, is that the video card is OK. The 3.3 volt PSU output feeds the memory voltage regulator where it is stepped down to the 2 volts or so programmed by the memory voltage setting in the BIOS.
December 17, 2009 3:30:09 PM

jsc said:
2023781,1,525630
I noticed that the 3.3v Rail was reading as 4.2v! :ouch: That cant be
right??? Anyway, I dont really care about most of the parts...
Theyre probably stuffed. But I just want to know...
What are the odds that the 7300GT was Killed in the Process???
[/msgquoted said:

Like JohnnyLucky suggested, you could have tested it in another system to be sure it worked.

My guess, though, is that the video card is OK. The 3.3 volt PSU output feeds the memory voltage regulator where it is stepped down to the 2 volts or so programmed by the memory voltage setting in the BIOS.


Well... You must be right, because the person I sold it to hasn't brought
it back. Thanks for the Advice.

But I guess the odds are 99% that the power supply is gone because I tried it in another PC and it wouldn't even power on.

Thanks again.
!