"Last known Working Configuration" vs. the F8 key

webgirl

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I was not able to resolve the issue regarding the "Floppy Disk Fail..." error message on start up, so I have been repeatedly pressing "F1 to continue..." for Windows to proceed normally.

I ran a trial scan with a Driver Updating program, which reportedly declared all my "drivers were up-to-date." Then I ran another trial with a PC Cleaner, and it declared I had "3 unwanted processes running" that were "interfering with the PC's optimum performance." I found that conclusion to be ridiculous since the "processes" they referred to were basic needs (e.g. one of them was the dial-up connection to the ISP).

I un-installed the PC Cleaner (I turned off the PC Cleaner before it could "clean up" the PC), only to find that one of my programs (or processes) stopped working. Logically, the next step I thought of was to do a "System Restore." This failed with the message that the "computer could not be restored to the date..." and, subsequently, my AntiVirus program crashed. I turned off the PC again and started to press F8 to return the PC back to the "last known working configuration."

Unfortunately, pressing the F8 key did not take me to the Boot Menu. It reverted back to the screen with the "Floppy Disk Fail (40)"..."Press F1 to continue..."

I tried again and again, but neither holding down nor pressing the F8 key at intervals would bring up the Boot Menu screen. It keeps reverting back to the screen "Floppy Disk Fail...Press F1..."

In the meantime, I had to restore the AntiVirus program, which I was able to do because, although the program had crashed, a smaller inbuilt application within the AntiVirus program was still active which allowed me to go online and find out how I could bypass using the F8 key in order to get to the "Safe Mode" screen. I needed to be in "Safe Mode" in order to un-install the AntiVirus program, and before I could re-install it again.

So the alternate way to get into "Safe Mode" is through the "Run" command from the "Start" button. But here is where I need some help, please.

Is there another way (other than pressing the F8 key which, apparently, is currently useless) to get to the Boot Menu screen (or Bios) in order to return the PC to the "last known working configuration?"

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Solution

I can't think of a system that requires Function 8 to go into BIOS - Delete, Function 2 and Function 12 are usual suspects. Some Packard Bell systems use F8 to change the boot option but all the others recognise it's reserved for Safe Mode in Windows.

Is your keyboard completely unresponsive at boottime? What appears on the first screen to appear - it usually mentions the key to go into BIOS, also known as Setup.

Do you have an XP CD? Would you be prepared to download and make a CD of a Linux operating system to back-door into XP?

Open your bios setup and set the hard drive to boot first
Set the floppy to "do not boot"
I think the floppy is set to boot first, and it should be set to boot the hard drive first.

But never load cleaners, fixers, driver detectors, sweepers, or any other free programs from the internet, it will usually screw it up more than before, and you are just asking to become infected.
Most of these cleaner programs on the internet are fake.

webgirl

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Thanks for your reply soundguruman. Except that...

How do you
Open your bios setup
when the F8 key is unresponsive?

It makes perfect sense to
Set the floppy to "do not boot"
under the circumstances, but I can't get to point B without first getting through Point A.

For example, you can bypass the F8 key to get to "Safe Mode" by pressing >"Start">"Run">type "misconfig"> and the "System Configuration Utility" window opens up.

There is a another major reason why I need to "open the bios setup." It's the only way I know to get to the "last known working configuration."

The crucial issue here therefore, is whether there is another way to open the bios/cmos setup other than using the F8 key.

I can't think of a system that requires Function 8 to go into BIOS - Delete, Function 2 and Function 12 are usual suspects. Some Packard Bell systems use F8 to change the boot option but all the others recognise it's reserved for Safe Mode in Windows.

Is your keyboard completely unresponsive at boottime? What appears on the first screen to appear - it usually mentions the key to go into BIOS, also known as Setup.

Do you have an XP CD? Would you be prepared to download and make a CD of a Linux operating system to back-door into XP?

Solution

webgirl

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Thank you, Saga Lout.

Here is what I did:

The message upon "Start-up" was:
"Floppy Disk Fail (40)" > "Press F1 to Continue...DEL to enter Setup."

I clicked on "DEL to enter Setup."

Next, I used the arrow keys: "Boot" >"Removable device"> "Boot up Floppy Seek [enabled]" (here I used the "Enter" key to change it to [disabled]) > "Esc" key to exit >"Exit and Save Changes" > "Save configuration changes and exit now" > "Yes."

The PC restarted. Next, I turned the PC off again, and pressed the "Power" button on while at the same time I pressed down the F8 key. The black screen menu was back with all the frills >"last known working configuration" etc.

The error message "Floppy Disk Fail (40)" is also gone.

Thank you for your helpful reply.