Need help.. my computer turns off when playing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolLe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hello... i never really seeked out help on forums before, not for this kind of problem atleast.. But i thought id try it out since i know nobody who can help me with this issue..

Recently i changed my graphics card from a 8800GT 512md ram overclocked edition, to a 260GTX 896mb ram.
I was in doubt whether my old power supply could handle this (450Watt), but the guy at the electronics store said it would work.
But.. heres the problem :
I played a few diffrent games with the new graphics card, such as Crysis and Farcry 2. There was no problems with this, it was running smooth. But then a few days ago i bought Call of duty modern warfare 2, the game itself is running smooth with everything maxed out exept for anti aliasing, but after a half hour to an hour the computer instantly shuts down. When i turn the computer on again, the only thing it does it that the option to choose "safe mode" or "Run windows normally" comes up, but then it starts up without further problems.. But it just keeps shutting off when playing call of duty..

I have run alot of test programs on it the last couple of days to test if this is a heat problem.. I tryed running Prime95 to test the CPU stability and it seems that it can just keep running with a stable temp at 68-71 celcius ( i know this is a rather high temp but the CPU is overclocked quiet a bit.. ) At normal use such as gaming or surfing on the net the temps are 41-55 celcius.
I also tryed out 3Dmark vintage and nvidia Ntune to test the graphic card..
Then i tryed OCCT to test both CPU and graphics card. The CPU could again run at a stable temp doing the normal OCCT CPU test.. But if i ran the Linpack test the CPU got too hot and the test stopped automaticly.
The GPU test ran at a stable temp of 84-86.
I also tryed out the power supply test in OCCT and nothing happend there either.. exept for the CPU getting kinda hot.
I also tested the RAM with MemTest and it showed no errors..

My suggestion is that the power supply is either not strong enough or broken.. But the weird thing is that i have only tryed the computer shutting down in Call of Duty MW2.. not in Crysis or any other game..
I dont think there is anything wrong with the game itself.. i have reinstalled the game once to check if that would fix the problem and i have run validation thing in Steam.

I seeked out this forum becouse i wanted to check if somebody knew the solution to this problem.. At the moment my only idea is to try and buy a new power supply and see if that works.. But it would really suck if it didnt help a bit :< becouse i find that good quality power suplys are rather expensive.

Here are my computers specs :

Power supply: Chill innovation CP-450A4 450Watt.
MotherBoard: Abit IP35 Pro.
CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.5ghz.
RAM: 4x1024mb OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 System Elite Dual Channel 800mhz.
Graphics: XFX Geforce 260GTX 896mb.
Hard disk: WD Caviar Blue 320gb 7200 RPM.
DVD drive: Dont know anything about this one.. can find out if needed.

Please any help would be very much apreciated.. before i run out and buy an expensive power supply.
I am sorry if some of the info is not useful or not well explained. I am kinda new to forums. Also i was a bit in doubt wich category to put this post under.. :)

No 450W PSU can run a GTX260 safely, certainly not with a heavily OC'ed Q6600. The PSU calculator recommends 303W of power assuming you didnt have to up the voltage any
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
As most of this is coming from the 12V rail i highly doubt your system can handle it since your PSU is only rated to provide 384W of power from the 12V rails, though surprisingly it is rated to provide full power at 50C, very few even try to claim that.
http://www.chill-innovation.com/userfiles/file/Chill%20CP-450A4%20450W.pdf
A good 550W PSU is generally needed to run a single fairly power hungry card like the GTX260, and from the sounds of your sudden shutoff issue im guessing you are tripping the PSU.

WolLe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Allright.. Thank you very much for your help :) I have looked at a few power supplys.. and i thought that now that im shopping a power suplly why not buy one that would be usable for future computer setups :D I looked at two diffrent power supplys so far, NorthQ NQ-4775-850-flex 850W modular PSU ATX2.2, and Thermaltake Toughpower Qfan 850 Watt.
I dont know very much about power supply brands but how do you think that NorthQ flex would do in my setup? :) It is a bit cheaper than the Thermaltake one, and ive only had good experiences with NorthQ coolers so.. What do you think ? :)

WolLe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I'm gonna go for the NorthQ then, hopefully i'll get it on monday. Again thank you very much for your help!

WolLe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Have never experience that my CPU overheated.. only when running the Linpack test in OCCT.

walshy155

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
i also checked on a psu calc i would recommend getting atleast a 550watt psu so there is left over power to play with

walshy155

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
download cpuid hardware monitor or speed-fan and while your gaming check the CPUs temperature and reply the temp on this thread

WolLe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I have checked the CPU temps long ago and also did it about two days ago to find a solution to this problem.. when gaming the CPU is about 43-50 celcius according to cpuid.

WolLe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

I have read some reviews of that NorthQ psu including the one that Hunter315 linked, it doesnt seem to me that there is anything wrong with that power supply..

As you can play games like crysis for a while with no issues i think its fair to assume its not a CPU over heating issue. Try running furmark and Prime 95 individually, and then both at the same time, if they dont cause a shut off individually it means that neither the CPU or the GPU is over heating and causing the shut down, if they cause the shutdown when run together, which will put your computer at max possible power usage, then its fairly safe to assume a power issue.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i had the exact same issue, and replaced my power supply.

my other games ran fine, but MW2 was causing my system to shut off mid game.
upgraded to a corsair hx750 and it hasnt happened since.

still get occasional video card crashes though.... damn that game.

WolLe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Thank you, this makes me believe even more that i have to change my power supply :)

WolLe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I am test running Prime95 and furmark right now.. The temps on CPU and graphics card are stable.. GPU: 83 CPU:70
The air comming out of the power supply is getting hotter and hotter.. so i guess what it does when im playing is that the PSU gets too hot and shuts down?

A less than top quality psu will lose power and become incnsistent when it heats up. A top tier psu will not be affected by heat, and will deliver more than it's advertised power.
A psu is NOT the place to economize.

You might want to try taking off the side cover of the PC and direct a house fan at the innards. That will give you plenty of case cooling and might alleviate the problem.

Still 450w is below the recommended power for your graphics card. Can you read the specs on your psu? In particular, what is the amperage on the 12v rail/s? That is the most important metric for a psu, not the wattage.

What does your case temp get up to when your at 70C for the CPU? If the temp sensor inside the PSU hits a certain point it will also do a hard shut off like its drawing too much power, for yours since its tested at 50C this is likely 60C. Anyway a PSU upgrade would help because it would be drawing a lower % of total power so it would run more efficient, generate less heat, and just provide better power over all.

geofelt, i managed to find the full spec sheet for his PSU, including the power distribution chart, i posted the link to the PDF up above.

The specs look decent. It can deliver 32a on the 12v rails(384/12), 80% efficient, and rated at 50c. The 32a is a bit below the recommended 38a.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I would strongly suggest that you go for brands like corsair, antec, seasonic, PCP&C, Cooler master Real power pro. Get a 550W or above. Trust me PSU is not the place to save up money.

And, whats with the MW2 game? Many people are having issues with it and as soon as they change their PSU to a brand that I mentioned above, they seem to go away.......Noticed this on many forums now.......

WolLe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Morning.. i ran Prime95 and Furmark tonight.. both indívidually and on the same time. Neither the GPU or CPU got too hot.. But i believe the power supply got VERY hot.. but it didnt shut down though.

Ive looked on a few corsair power supplys:
Corsair CMPSU-750TXEU
Corsair CMPSU-850TXEU
Corsair HX750
Corsair TX950W PSU

They are listed with the cheapest power supply in the top and most expensive in the bottom.
Wich one of these would you reccomend?

Status
Not open for further replies.