Is it HyperX CL8 or CL9?

veo

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I recently purchased a core i5-750 desktop from CyberPowerPC. Side Note: For those considering CyberPowerPC, while the computer is running well and is built well, DO NOT pay extra for their overclocking --- as they seem to only increase the b-clock and probably do not have the expertise for a stable overclock.

In any case, I purchased 4GB of Kingston HyperX 1600mhz memory. However, I cannot easily tell if the HyperX memory is CL8 or CL9? Since I have a core i5 (w/ Gigabyte UD3 mb) the memory is naturally lowered to run at 1333mhz.

I have CPU-Z and it states that CL is at 9. In fact, CPU-Z shows 9-9-9-24. But, again, this is at 1333mhz. The voltage is at 1.5v --- which is also the JEDEC standard for both CL8 and CL9 versions. So, is there any easy way for me to determine if this HyperX memory is CL8 or CL9? I plan on overclocking the desktop myself down the road and the optimal settings for CL8 and CL9 are different.

If I had to guess I would say the HyperX memory is CL9 --- because it seems to be cheaper and more available in the online marketplace. And CyperPowerPC would naturally gravitate to the cheaper version (which I am fine with since they offer low prices on their rigs).

I am in no hurry so please reply at your leisure. And thanks in advance to TH and the TH forum community; I've learned so much from this amazing resource.

Solution
I should say so on the sticks themselves or the package they came in... They normally state the speed, timing and recommended voltages on each stick and overall package...

veo

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
So basically if I set the memory to CL8 settings (8-8-8-24, at 1.65v, and at 1600mhz) and it runs stably (it boots and OS runs as normal) --- then it is CL8?

Is there any other way to determine if it is CL8 or CL9 --- i.e. will it say on the memory itself?

chefboyeb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I should say so on the sticks themselves or the package they came in... They normally state the speed, timing and recommended voltages on each stick and overall package...

Solution

veo

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks Chef and JackNaylor! I'll check the physical memory sticks the next time I open the case.

Unfortunately, the invoice (from CyberPowerPC) does not state the CL speed. And, since its from CyberPowerPC, there's no box or documentation (just a generic install guide from Kingston). However, I did check for the Kingston and HyperX icon/symbols when I first got (and opened) the rig. Plus CPU-Z recognizes the memory as Kingston (so I'm confident it is not counterfeit).

I will take a closer inspection of the memory sticks to see their CL number the next time I open the case. Thanks again!

PS - I'm not sure how to close this thread/topic. But I do consider this question now answered/closed.