Blu-Ray & DVD Burners Not Working

Buck Rogers 2000

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
This system has been the build from Hades. I'm finally down to a few glitches and I should be good to go. My most pressing issue is my optical drives. I have an LG Blu-Ray burner (Model: HL-DT-ST BD-RE GBWH20L) and a Lite-On DVDRW (Model: LH-20A1L). Neither are identified by Windows XP as the devices they should be. The manuals inform me that my OS should recognize them without additional drivers, this is not the case. I have checked the box which allows writing to the media, without result. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

System Specs:
Motherboard=Tyan S5396
CPUs: Two Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5450 3GHz 1333MHz 771pin 12MB
Video Card=Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4850 X2 2GB DDR3 4DVI PCI-E
Memory D2-667 4GB ECC FB-DIMM
Operating system=Windows XP service pack 3
Matrox RT.X2 Capture card
Premiere Pro CS3

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I'm assuming that you've already installed Windows XP and they just aren't showing up under "My Computer." A little more info would help.

Go to Control Panel (Classic View)>Administrative Tools>Computer Management
Find and click "Disk Management" on the left.
Look and see if your optical drives are shown to the right. It could be that they just weren't assigned drive letters.
If you see them, right-click on them and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths"

That's about all I can suggest for now. Reply back with some more information on the situation if this doesn't work for you.

Buck Rogers 2000

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Thanks for your input.

They both have drive letters assigned, E for my Blu-Ray and F for the DVDRW.

They both show up in my BIOS as CDROM. They are on SATA ports 2 & 3. The "type" is set to Auto and I can't seem to be able to alter them. Multi sector transfers, LBA Mode control and 32-bit I/O are all disabled. Transfer mode is set to FPIO 4 / DMA 2 and Ultra DMA Mode is 5 for both (I have Pheonix BIOS).

XP Professional (32-bit) has been loaded for a while now. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have...

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Might have found your issue, but I'm not an expert on server grade controllers, so it may not help you much. Your Tyan board comes equipped with 2 host controllers, the integrated which I assume is part of the intel chipset, and an LSI 1068E SAS controller. This is where my knowledge of SAS and SATA II gets a bit fuzzy, SAS drives are expensive, and I just haven't worked with them or the controllers much. The ports are compatible to some extent, but where you might be having issues is that you may not have drivers for your LSI 1068E controller. If I'm correct, installing the drivers for this controller from your Tyan disc should fix it. If there's some kind of incompatibility with this controller, moving your drives to the black SATA ports should put you on the Intel integrated host controller.

If your optical drives are already plugged into the black SATA ports, my theory doesn't work. Hopefully this helps you some.

Buck Rogers 2000

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

I'm not too informed about SAS controllers either. The optical drives were plugged into the black SATA ports, so I'm fiddling with the SAS ports (it can't hurt). So far, I've enabled the SAS ports, but can't utilize a RAID configuration. The other one keeps crashing my system. Your theory is intriguing, but doesn't look like it will bear fruit. It's too bad since it is the only anamoly I've found.

I have the latest drivers for the motherboard...

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I'm fresh out of ideas then, it could just be some kind of limitation with windows XP, or bug they never caught. Since it is a server class board, typically Windows Server or some flavor of Linux gets installed on them. Have you tried getting a hold of Tyan tech support? They are probably your best next move.

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I'm confused... nevermind the BIOS discussion for now; I've got a few questions:

1) Windows can see both drives and has assigned them both different drive letters?
2) They don't show up under "My Computer?"
3) If you put a DVD in either drive, will it run an autoplay or react in some way?

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I went back to the OP and see what kufan is getting at. I thought they weren't showing up at all, under windows. "not identified as they should be" kind of suggests that they were identified as "something." There is then mention of checking a box to allow write to media... are you trying to burn something to disc and it's not working? If the optical drives are at least readable, that narrows down possibilities some.

Buck Rogers 2000

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

Kufan64,

Sorry for the delay, I've been tinkering. I hope I haven't simply had a bout of functional fixedness (worrying about the drive nomenclatures in My Computer). I am in the midst of trying to utilize Adobe Encore CS3. Once I figure that out, maybe all it takes is the appropriate program to burn...I will post later with the results. Many thanks!

Answers
1) Yes
2) They do show up in "My Computer"
3) They will perform autorun

Buck Rogers 2000

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

Wathman,

If Adobe Encore doesn't work, that will certainly be my next course of action. Thanks!