• Cases
  • Samsung
  • Green
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
July 25, 2011 5:18:10 PM

So I just picked up a Samsung Green 2TB drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and I mounted it in my case upside down due to the length of the remaining power cables I have. The hard drive seems to be running fine at the moment.

My question is whether having the harddrive upside down would be bad in the long term?

Thanks

More about : hard drive upside

July 25, 2011 5:22:48 PM

No, my hdd is running upside down for three years without any problem
m
l
a c 387 G Storage
July 25, 2011 5:37:27 PM

We have Dell servers at work whose drives are mounted upside down. We have no problems at all.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 25, 2011 6:21:09 PM

Upsidedown is ok and is actually preferrable to mounted on its side. By having the force of gravity perpendicular to the rotational axis it distributes te load on the bearings evenly as opposed to sideways can add additional stree (even though many enterprise class solutions do this for space reasons).
m
l
July 25, 2011 6:57:03 PM

Sounds good. I was reading some links about this topic, and some have suggested that once the harddrive has been placed upside down, it should be permanently left upside down. Is that a valid statement?
m
l
a b G Storage
July 25, 2011 7:12:36 PM

hstorm101 said:
Sounds good. I was reading some links about this topic, and some have suggested that once the harddrive has been placed upside down, it should be permanently left upside down. Is that a valid statement?

It does not matters... Turning it sideway upside down or any other ways does not change what it is... It's like a CD/DVD player, you put a CD/DVD in a ROM drive and you see it rotate, you turn it around it doesn't change anything but sideway is better tho, upside down does not change anything but just the weight/pressure on it...
m
l
a b G Storage
July 25, 2011 8:01:14 PM

legendkiller said:
It does not matters... Turning it sideway upside down or any other ways does not change what it is... It's like a CD/DVD player, you put a CD/DVD in a ROM drive and you see it rotate, you turn it around it doesn't change anything but sideway is better tho, upside down does not change anything but just the weight/pressure on it...

I know thats what everyone says, it definitely does not match my personal experience though, especially with consumer grade drives. Maybe my personal experience is not a good representation of reality, but I've noticed a significant enough difference that I do not mount any of my personal drives vertically. I also manage many servers and often have no choice but to put them in a veritcal orientation. I would say everything else being equal, if you have a choice, go horizontal, if you don't I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 26, 2011 12:23:46 AM

Hi there,

I agree 100%, it makes no difference. The disks have been engineered to be horizontal where theoretically there is no pos or neg gravity added to the head tips. But right side up, upside down, left or right, it's the same.

And if it made any long term difference, you would certainly see a label on the drives "This side Up", which you don't.
What's also interesting that Dell or HP or ?? made their cables with no slack to spare, should your DVD or HDD happens to be a little shorter than 5 years ago, to reach without causing mounting problems.

Had the same problem with an IDE cable for a secondary DVD couple years back, where the 2nd connector just wasn't long enough to catch both the secondary and primary DVD. Had to buy a new cable!

Anyway, you're fine!
m
l
!