Full Tower Case/ Mid Tower Case

tserich

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hi

I am looking to build a new computer and I am wondering what's the difference between a Full Tower Case and a Mid Tower Case

These are the things I plan to buy

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 ? / HAF 922 ?

CPU - I7 920
Power Supply Unit - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W
Heat Sink Fan - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Motherboard - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
RAM - Corsair XMS3 Dominator
Primary HD - Intel X25
Secondary HD - Samsung F3 500 GB
DVD Drive - Pioneer Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
Graphics Card - Two Radeon HD 4890 cards in Crossfire

Are there any other cases that people would recommend? (Quiet/ Good cooling)

Solution
The major difference between a full tower case and a mid tower case is the size of the case. In very general terms a full tower case is taller which allows for the installation of more drives and/or devices in the drive bays at the front of the case. The length of the case from front to back is a little bit different. The length can vary in both full tower cases and mid tower cases. Sometimes the length overlaps. By that I mean a mid-tower case might be longer than a mid tower case. It just depends. The mid tower cases are more popular than full tower cases.

I just happen to have to Coolermaster HAF 932. It is a huge full tower beast that can easily accomodate any length video card and any extra tall tower style cpu heatsink with room...
The major difference between a full tower case and a mid tower case is the size of the case. In very general terms a full tower case is taller which allows for the installation of more drives and/or devices in the drive bays at the front of the case. The length of the case from front to back is a little bit different. The length can vary in both full tower cases and mid tower cases. Sometimes the length overlaps. By that I mean a mid-tower case might be longer than a mid tower case. It just depends. The mid tower cases are more popular than full tower cases.

I just happen to have to Coolermaster HAF 932. It is a huge full tower beast that can easily accomodate any length video card and any extra tall tower style cpu heatsink with room left over. It is definitely a gaming case. Ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent. The downside is the exterior. Some people like it and some people don't. There is no compromise.

If you were to look at a 932 and a 922 side by side you would notice that the 922 is a little bit smaller. The exterior looks better too.

Sometimes I post that the Antec Nine Hundred is one of the most popular, if not the most popular case with gamers. Yesterday I received an email from newegg.com indicating the Antec Nine Hundred is their number one best selling pc case. Again, ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent.

Solution
Side by side the HAF 932 doesn't appear that different from the 922....inside it looks bigger .... kinda like that DR. Who telephone booth thing....same is true of Antec 1200/90x

I think the HX1000 is a bit much ... Id recommend the Cp-850 if you were doing the Antec 1200 but with the HAF, methinks the HX-850 (even 650) or SG-850 (650) will do .... to be sure try this:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I'd do the 850

You gonna get lotta comments about "old tech" on the GFX but if you change GFX cards, every 2 years, you won't miss DX11.

OCZ CAS 8 is way cheaper than the Dominator and provides same performance

GEEZ! The other skeleton is right about the power supply. The Corsair HX1000 is overkill for an Intel Core i7 920 system with two ATI Radeon HD 4890 video cards operating in Crossfire mode.

Here are the official ATI Radeon™ HD 4890 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

Those recommendations are for the entire system.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Well Full towers generally are bigger but many times you see mid-towers that are wider and longer however in height the full towers are bigger. The main difference or easiest way is seeing the Cubic Inches...full towers generally have more cubic inches of space inside of them.

tserich

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Thanks I'll go for a lower PSU unit. I wasn't sure how much power was going to be needed for power those cards. What if I went for 2 higher end cards in Crossfire would a 750 or 850 unit be enough to handle it?

650 for one card
850 for 2

These PSU's get a 10 performance rating from Jonnyguru, 2 outta the 3 make the Editor's Choice list here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

Antec SG-850 http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=113
Antec-CP-850 http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=142
Corsair HX-850 http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=153

samson2836

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I'm trying to get a gift together for my son. He gave me a list, but the local computer store started swapping items so I am frantically reading posts for crash course. Tom's Hardware is an incredible info site. My question concerns cases. Is there a mid tower case to fit the ASUS 5870 video card that is ~11 inches long? I ordered Antec 902, but now I am afraid that it will cause complications for my son's first build. Will the Antec 902 work? I would not want him to make modifications until he gets more experience.