2600k and p8z68-v

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello everyone,

I'm new to overclocking and was reading some base values, so how my motherboard has a lot of help i've decided to try it.

i have a motherboard from asus p8z68-v and i got a i7 2600k using the Antec Kuhler 620, my memory is Corsair Vengeance low profile 1.35v.

So i was using the x.m.p profile to the memory and let it the same most of settings on AUTO and memory at 1600mhz in 1.35v. Went to the cpu advanced settings and set the multiplier to 43 and noticed the TURBO MODE option is locked in ENABLED, so i let it that way, and changed the CPU voltage to manual 1.275v.

Well i restarted windows i noticed it worked with turbo mode idle is 1.6ghz and not idle 4.3ghz... so with cpu-z the voltage is 1.26... something and it is working, so i tested with prime95 in small FFT for 8 hours and no problems so far and stable temperatures at 69celsius.

I just fell that something is missing, i just can't believe it worked like a charm in the first try, and also what happens if the voltage is higher than what the cpu really needs other than more heat? maybe i can downgrade voltage more for a more efficient overclock? maybe i forget to turn off/on something in the bios?

I’m just worried that I can be damaging some components.

Sorry for my english and thanks for any help.

Solution
Manual will have the voltage stick at that no matter if you're idle or load. So if you set it to 1.25, it will be at 1.25 in idle and load. There should be an option for additional turbo voltage, this will just change load voltage. Or you can also change LLC to just change load voltage. So you don't raise idle voltage. I would suggest offset -.05 (undervolting idle) and change the llc or additional voltage.

Donut, speedstep lowers vcore and multiplier, that is not vdroop.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Well it worked that easily for me, I've overclocked my 2600 (non-K) to 4GHz but I left the CPU voltages at Auto and those voltages seem to be working fine, never taken me to 1.3v so I think I'm safe.

Volts normally sit around 1.211 or higher/much lower depending on load for me.

I guess overclocking really is that easy? lol

How did you OC a non-K CPU?

K and non k overclock the same, raise the multiplier and adjust vcore. Non k are just limited to 400mhz higher and still have to rely on turbo; ie the "overclock" is just raising the max turbo frequency. So as he has it now, he can only get to 3.7ghz on all cores and 4ghz on one core. Sb really does make overclocking easy.

Auto voltage tends to overvolt so would recommend offset mode. Those temps seem a bit high. Tom's review was getting 50C over ambient at 1.38v 4.75ghz. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h2o-h80-h100-benchmark-overclocking,3084-7.html *Typo on the graph. And the 212+ will just hit 65C at your volt/speed.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Following your recomendation i'm using offset mode, first tested with -0.005, executed prime 95 and BSOD, ok than i tryed +0.005 running for about 1 hour there was an error in one of the prime 95 workers, so i decided to increase to +0.015 still testing it, already 30 minutes without problems, with cpu-z/aida64 i see the voltage is 1.240v stable and temps are good too, i dont want to go more than 4.3 because i live in brazil so it is very hot in here, also my Kühler 620 can't do miracles.

The only thing that is strange are my idle voltages, they move between 0.944v~1.016v is that normal?, yes it is working at 16x multiplier on IDLE.

Yes, what Intel SpeedStep does is tunes your multiplier down to 16 while in idle mode to save power and not produce as much heat. When it turns the multiplier down, it will also turn the voltage down. Vdroop is what it's called. You are good to go! :)

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Just got BSOD lol...

Now it is +0.020, The voltages in CPUZ now are 1.240v and 1.248v changing every 2 seconds is that ok? If BSOD again, increase again? i know I don’t need more than 1.29, so i think I’m getting close to the stable voltage. And i read that overclocking by offset, it increase the idle voltage too, so maybe if the cpu still asking for more should I change back to manual voltage setting?

Sorry for my noobish, I’m really new to overclock, and I really don’t want to roast my CPU XD.

Well, the CPU can raise to around 1.4v before it will start to degrade. So, yeah, raise the voltage a bit more if needed. And yes, the voltage changing a little bit like that every few seconds is fine.

Manual will have the voltage stick at that no matter if you're idle or load. So if you set it to 1.25, it will be at 1.25 in idle and load. There should be an option for additional turbo voltage, this will just change load voltage. Or you can also change LLC to just change load voltage. So you don't raise idle voltage. I would suggest offset -.05 (undervolting idle) and change the llc or additional voltage.

Donut, speedstep lowers vcore and multiplier, that is not vdroop.

Solution

Doesn't Vdroop kick in to lower the voltage? Obviously I am missing something, as I do not know everything. :lol: What exactly does Vdroop do then?

So it jsut doesn't use the extra .05 volts it doesn't need, right?

No, vdroop is for safety. When voltage changes it spikes and troughs before becoming stable, you can see in the graph. Vdroop is to keep that spike under safe voltage. Unfortunately it also makes the voltage less than what you set it to. .05 was just an example number it might not be that much, it might be more.

Oh, so when overclocking, you may want v droop turned off because it can lower the voltage? I am kinda confused, as I have not had much experience with it.