Sign in with
Your question

Is my "winpower atx 600w" PSU good enough?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 11:31:09 PM

Hi..

I just bought a 9800gt graphics card. I realized after that my psu might not be good enough.. I have a "winpower atx 600w" psu.. From reading this thread, I have concluded that I will not be able to use it with the 9800gt.. Also currently I have 4GB Ram, 8600GT and a Quadcore Q6700 Processor.. When playing Gears Of War PC, I always crash, get "Artifacts".. Sometimes I have to reinstall my whole PC.

So I have been thinking about buying this PSU suggested by you guys, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-008-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084.. Only I am worried that it won't fit my case.. Think this is the right case, looks exactly same as mine: http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=CA-XWIZARD&af=50

Thanks.
a c 77 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 11:39:12 PM

Yes, it will fit into your case, since both are standard ATX power supplies.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 11:48:35 PM

tecmo34 said:
Yes, it will fit into your case, since both are standard ATX power supplies.

Oh thanks mate!.

So, am I right that I need to change my PSU before my 9800GT arrives?..
Also, would you recommend the I buy that PSU?.. are there any better once?.. mind I can only afford to spend £40.

Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2009 1:24:04 AM

To answer your original question - The Winpower atx 600 watt power supply is an HEC model. HEC is not known for high quality power supplies. When they first entered the business they had a reputation for low budget psu's of questionable performance and value. They were bashed quite a bit. HEC did try to improve their psu's and they did in fact make some improvements. The Winpower series was supposed to be an improved series. During the past three years they made some additional improvements to the Winpower models. If you have a new version of the psu, then it will probably be adequate for a pc with a single 9800GT video card.

If you are only planning to use a single 9800GT video card, then the recommended system requirement is a 400 to 450 watt power supply with a combined +12 volt rating of 28 amps or more and one 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express power connector. The video card manufacturers overestimate system requirements because they know people will buy low budget psu's of questionable performance and value.

An appropriate high quality power supply would be the Corsair VX450 with a single +12 volt rail rated at 33 amps. For one 9800GT the Corsair TX650 is overkill. However, it would be appropriate for two 9800GT's operating in dual mode.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2009 1:46:37 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
To answer your original question - The Winpower atx 600 watt power supply is an HEC model. HEC is not known for high quality power supplies. When they first entered the business they had a reputation for low budget psu's of questionable performance and value. They were bashed quite a bit. HEC did try to improve their psu's and they did in fact make some improvements. The Winpower series was supposed to be an improved series. During the past three years they made some additional improvements to the Winpower models. If you have a new version of the psu, then it will probably be adequate for a pc with a single 9800GT video card.

If you are only planning to use a single 9800GT video card, then the recommended system requirement is a 400 to 450 watt power supply with a combined +12 volt rating of 28 amps or more and one 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express power connector. The video card manufacturers overestimate system requirements because they know people will buy low budget psu's of questionable performance and value.

An appropriate high quality power supply would be the Corsair VX450 with a single +12 volt rail rated at 33 amps. For one 9800GT the Corsair TX650 is overkill. However, it would be appropriate for two 9800GT's operating in dual mode.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate all the help.

When you say "Overkill", does that mean something bad?.. Will it harm my system or any of the hardware if I do decide to upgrade to the Corsair TX650..
I am thinking (if possible) to use my existing 8600GT and the 9800GT (in SLI mode?).
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2009 2:21:12 AM

No it is definitely not bad. A 1,000 watt power supply is simply more than you need for a system with one or even two 9800GT's. Just reducing it down to say the Corsair TX750 you could use the money saved to get a better video card. The reason I mention the TX750 is that it can easily power a system with just about any two video cards operating in dual mode.

I do not know if you can use the 8600GT and 9800GT together in dual mode. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of mixing and matching cards can answer that.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2009 2:47:29 AM

Aaah, I see.. I can't seem to find any Corsair VX450s that are particularly cheaper though.. There should be a significant reduction in price compared to the TX650 right? Do you know of where I can purchase one?
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2009 4:44:15 AM

Yes, the VX450 should be cheaper than the TX650. Unfortunately I am not familiar with UK vendors as I am in beautiful sunny southern Arizona where the sun shines 350 days a year and people do not shovel snow. :lol: 
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2009 1:04:55 AM

I just bought the TX650, hope it's worth all that money.

Thanks again mate.
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2009 1:36:54 AM

Excellent choice. The TX650 is actually capable of delivering over 700 watts at 40C. You could even add a second 9800GT for Crossfire mode! :) 
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 2:06:15 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
Excellent choice. The TX650 is actually capable of delivering over 700 watts at 40C. You could even add a second 9800GT for Crossfire mode! :) 

Hehe, I just might do that!.. BTW, what's Crossfire mode?.. Is it same as SLI?.. better?

Thanks.
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 2:09:05 AM

Crossfire is the ATI name for using mutiple video cards. Similar to Nvidia's SLI.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 2:16:23 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
Crossfire is the ATI name for using mutiple video cards. Similar to Nvidia's SLI.

Aah seen.. arite then mate. thanks for all the advice!
!