shmcphrsn

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hi,
Can anyone help or give me some advice on what to do about my system overheating when I open quite e few programs or running certian games like Mass Effect/ Shattered Horizon beta and it runs between 46c - 56c at normal load but seems to heat up fast when I run heavier programs, Any help??

System Specs:
CASE: CoolerMaster CM690 Nvidia Ed.
CPU: Core i7 950 3.06GHz
Cooler: CoolerMaster V8
GPU: GTX 260 BLk. Ed. in (SLI x2)
SSD: OCZ Soild Series 60GB in (Raid 0 x4)
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
MEM: OCZ Intel Ex. 1600MHz XMP Profile 3GB
PSU: Ultra X3 850w SLI Ready
Monitor: Acer G24/ P244w
Keyboard/Muose: Logitech LX710
Speakers: Logitech G51

Solution
Guys,

We need to be more specific. The topic of processor temperatures is all about specifications, so if we're not specific, then it makes about as much sense as trying to compare apples to oranges thermal fruit salad in a blender. My objective is to assure that enthusiasts can understand Intel's specifications, standards and test methods, so they can better decide how to apply and manage their overclocking options. I just posted the following on another thread, which I'm sure will help to put things into perspective, so please take a few minutes to read this.

Let's not blur the distinction between CPU temperature and Core temperature. BIOS affects CPU temperature only, but has nothing to do with Core temperature. Also, never...

shmcphrsn

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
before when I had the i7 920 installed it would only run at 38C min and 49C max and would only give this problem if I tried to OC at 4.4 or higher, but then it wouldn't even post. And now when I try to OC this i7 950 to 4.2 it doesn't even post most I've gotten it to is 3.8 or 4.0 and it didn't last to long at 4.0.

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
There are several things that could cause this. One would be severe negative air pressure inside your case. What that means simply is that there is too much exhaust or not enough intake - negative air pressure. With negative air pressure it is difficult to move hot air out of the case and expel heat.

The other issue I could imagine is motherboard damage (phase regulation or caps) from reckless overclocking.

There I said it - overclocking is reckless and loses plenty of people money on frying expensive components. Don't do it w/o the proper cooling and high-end/tolerance equipment. Even then it's big risk (depending on how deep your pockets are.) Heat climbs exponentially w/overclocking, and heat is the worst enemy of solid state electronics. Also going above a 5%+/- tolerance on voltage can straight up ruin most equipment, even if the problem doesn't pop up immediately and still can and does happen.

So I'd do two things - pop open your case and check the motherboard for exploded capacitors or burnt power regulation units. If no damage is apparent, make sure you have enough intake fans drawing cool air into the case, so that hot air is forced out, rather than too many fans taking air out of the case which would prevent the removal of heat.

Good luck friend!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Guys,

We need to be more specific. The topic of processor temperatures is all about specifications, so if we're not specific, then it makes about as much sense as trying to compare apples to oranges thermal fruit salad in a blender. My objective is to assure that enthusiasts can understand Intel's specifications, standards and test methods, so they can better decide how to apply and manage their overclocking options. I just posted the following on another thread, which I'm sure will help to put things into perspective, so please take a few minutes to read this.

Let's not blur the distinction between CPU temperature and Core temperature. BIOS affects CPU temperature only, but has nothing to do with Core temperature. Also, never assume that uncalibrated temperatures are accurate.

From Intel's Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=All&ProcFam=3052&SearchKey=

Vcore Max 1.375v
Tcase Max (CPU temperature) 68c
Tjunction (Core temperature) 73c

From the Core i7 and Core 2 Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core-core-temperature-guide

"Section 1: Introduction

Core i and Core 2 processors have 2 different types of temperature sensors; a CPU case (not computer case) Thermal Diode centered under the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located on each Core. The case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature case), which is CPU temperature, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature junction), which is Core temperature. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a 5c temperature difference between them, which is Tcase to Tjunction Gradient. Core i7’s / i5’s and Core 2 Quad’s have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while Core 2 Duo's have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors ...

... The monitoring utilities provided by motherboard manufacturers monitor CPU temperature, while some popular freeware utilities monitor Core temperatures ... Real Temp ... is recommended for users interested in monitoring Core temperatures only ... SpeedFan monitors Tcase (CPU temperature) and Tjunction (Core temperature) ... "

The Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder is Tcase Max (CPU) not Tjunction (Core), which is a very common misconception among most enthusiasts. Since there's a 5c gradient between the CPU sensor and the Core sensors, (shown in the following Intel document) - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf - just add 5c to the value shown in the Spec Finder to determine the corresponding Core temperature, which is 73c for all Core i7 9xx variants.

Intel's second and frequently misunderstood Thermal Specification, Tjunction Max, (100c for all Core i variants) applies to overtemp protection such as Throttle and Shutdown, so you don't toast your transistors. As such, any i7 Core temperatures which exceed 73c should be considered "overtemp". Further, when specifications are exceeded, then processor degradation becomes a concern, which is explained in the following AnandTech article - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3251&p=6

Prime95 Small FFT's is the Standard for processor thermal testing, because it's a steady-state 100% workload which yields steady-state temperatures, whereas Blend is a memory cyclic workload which yields fluctuating processor temperatures. Small FFT's will reach 97% thermal saturation within 7 to 8 minutes, so a 10 minute test is adequate. Thermal testing should be conducted as close as possible to 22c (72f) Standard ambient, with case covers removed, the computer clear of any desk enclosures, and all fans at 100% RPM to eliminate cooling variables, and to produce consistent and repeatable results for comparisons. If the Gradient between CPU temperature and "mean" (average) Core temperature is not ~ 5c, then BIOS is incorrectly coded. Both CPU temperature and Core temperatures can be individually calibrated in SpeedFan by following the Calibrations Section in the Temperature Guide, linked above.

OCCT and Burn Test (reminiscent of TAT) use LinPack, which shows thermal signatures that resemble the ups and downs of a bad day at the stock market, and cycle between light workloads, through test segments which spray all processor registers with all one's, (100% thermal load, which equates to 115% workload), and can push an overclocked i7 at Vcore Max 1.375 with HT enabled, right on past Tcase Max to ring the Tjunction Max bell like a fire alarm! :eek:

Since there are very few applications or games that will spike, let alone sustain processor workloads beyond 70% to 85%, utilities which load all registers with all one's are not representative of real-world computing. While these utilities are certainly very useful for stability testing, they are inappropriate for thermal testing. The 3DMark releases (`01, `03, `05, `06 & Vantage) are also excellent for stability testing, and are much more indicative of real-world computing.

The best anaolgy to make sense of CPU temperature and Core temperature is to compare them to a 4 cylinder car with 5 temperature guages; 4 of the 5 guages indicate cyclinder head temperatures (closest to the heat source), and the 5th guage indicates the overall engine temperature, which is 5c lower than the other 4 guages, and is the temperature guage with which we're so familiar. We know that red-line for the i7 9xx is 68c on the engine temp guage (Tcase Max) and 73c on the cylinder head temp guages (Tjunction), but if we push the engine too hard and peg all the guages (95c Tcase overtemp / 100c Tjunction Max) then the engine will shut down.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol:

Solution