1st duke of marlborough

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I am in the middle of building an above average gaming rig for my friend:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

Memory:4gigs DDR2 RAM Qimonda 800

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372

HS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004&cm_re=sunbeamtech_core-contact_freezer-_-35-207-004-_-Product

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W

Sorry there are only links to a few items, but the CPU, GPU, RAM, and case were all extra parts I had after upgrading.

So here's the problem: The Mobo was DoA the first time, so I RMA'd it and just got the replacement today. I installed it, plugged everything in, double-checked the wiring, and turned it on...only to see a dead computer. I thought one of the wires might have been loose...nope. Did I wire the power switch wrong...nope. Oh, maybe the powerswitch wire was loose...tried a different switch in a different case...nothing. It is not the PSU, as it was working literally 2 weeks ago in my old comp--keep in mind I bought it several months ago, but the Antec case I bought came with a PSU so I just used the Earthwatts one in my friend's comp.

The only thing I can think of is that the Mobo is DoA again. Is there anything else it could be? I am completely at a loss!!

As always, your input is greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,

1st Duke.

Solution
All the steps in the checklist still apply since you need to narrow down what the problem is. Are you absolutely sure there is no power getting to the motherboard? So what exactly happens when you press the power button? Do the fans twitch at all? Did you try getting the motherboard to start by just shorting the two pins on the motherboard that the power switch plug into? I would perform the breadboarding step from the checklist to rule out a short. You should also try booting with just one stick of RAM installed. I highly doubt you got two DOA motherboards in a row.

1st duke of marlborough

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Most of these I cannot check, since the computer will not turn in, for whatever reason there is no power going to the board. That tells me its not the GPU, CPU, or the RAM. So its either the Mobo or the PSU. Unless my logic is flawed somehow...which is entirely possible!

All the steps in the checklist still apply since you need to narrow down what the problem is. Are you absolutely sure there is no power getting to the motherboard? So what exactly happens when you press the power button? Do the fans twitch at all? Did you try getting the motherboard to start by just shorting the two pins on the motherboard that the power switch plug into? I would perform the breadboarding step from the checklist to rule out a short. You should also try booting with just one stick of RAM installed. I highly doubt you got two DOA motherboards in a row.

Solution