GeForce 9500GS Replacement Help

apemman

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Ok , so I didn't do any research on the GeForce 9500GS before buying my OEM computer from HP. Needless to say, big mistake. I have already replaced it through HP's replacement program once, and about a month later, I'm having problems with it again.

I am looking to replace it with another card. I would like better performance but realize that for the really good cards I'd have to upgrade my power supply as well.

So my question is what card can I replace it with, that uses the same amount of power?

Thanks for anything you can tell me. :)

apemman

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
It says 350W, Delta Electronics

not sure about the amperage. Here's everything it says:

+12Va----18A,
+5V----13A,
+3.3V----15A,
12Vb----18A,
+5Vstb----2A,
-12V----0.8A

So 18 amps perhaps?

Thanks

apemman

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Ok, great. Thanks everyone for your input. :)

I think I'll go with the 4670 and hope it works. If it doesn't I'll likely be back to ask about upgrading the PSU which in turn means I'll need information on getting a new case. Which makes things complicated and probably pretty pricey. :ouch:

Anyway, thanks again.

glenn_n

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Good advice here, but my power supply is lower rated, so I hope someone will be able to suggest alternatives or confirm that some of the cards suggested here will be OK in my system.

I have a Slimline S3750F with GeForce 9500GS (apparently made by MSI). I'm at wits end with the almost daily lockups - I hear fans running at full tilt, but the computer is out of it's mind - no video out, no response to anything. There are multiple indications that something in video is the problem. One indication is the rare popup dialog telling me that my card apparently has less than 64M memory and some media center features may not work; of course it has 512M and all media center features work.

Anyway, I'd like to replace this card and plan to purchase something from Newegg or Fry's, but what? It must have HDMI out, it must work well with the built-in TV tuner (I hear that this can be an issue, don't know why). This is only used as HTPC, no game playing, so performance of video card is probably not a worry. However, it must be low power, because hte power supply in a Slimline is only rated 180 WATTS!!

Ideas please? Thanks.